PDA

View Full Version : Dish location

satisfried
25th March, 2013, 11:54 PM
The dish I am using was installed by a SKY engineer, He attached it to the side of our House (side faces roughly east).
Because of a curve in the road the house to our east is offset so that the front lines up with the rear of our House.

This means the dish is pointing (roughly south east) through next doors bedroom ! REception is generally quite good except when it is very cloudy,thats when video blocking and audio spitting starts.

Is the combination of brick,plaster and whatever else a house is made of PLUS the cloud layer causing this-would moving the dish to rear where there is a clear view available prevent this. Or is the cloud layer the killer factor under any circumstances?

satisfried

digicon
26th March, 2013, 01:08 AM
If you feel the Dish has how you view it a poor line of sight so to speak and you are still an official Sky subscriber then you should take this up with them, And ask that they review the siteing of the dish. You may of course have to go down the usual route of threatening to cancel if they start giving you the runaround

satisfried
26th March, 2013, 02:11 AM
We have allready cancelled. I got fed up with the cost.
Considering the likes of ITV are paid for by advertising why do we pay so much for SKY.Ads every 15 mins,especially PPI claims and solicitors that cant walk down stairs without falling over(sue the high heel shoe makers love).

staisfried

BigfatPaulie
26th March, 2013, 03:04 AM
The dish will be looking over the other house... Not through it! There's no way it would work with a building in the way.
There's several factors that would cause your problems, without a site survey it's impossible to say what would fix it... But if you think the rear is a better option, then fit another, larger dish yourself... It's dead easy, then swap to that.

Sent using Tapatalk

jovie
26th March, 2013, 03:33 AM
all you need is a clear view looking south satellite signals wont go through walls and sky dishes are only really any good for sky satellite try and get a bit bigger dish

mdt
26th March, 2013, 01:37 PM
if your having slight problems in overcast/bad weather then the dish is probably out slightly. try re-aligning your dish. regards mdt

gerrywac
30th March, 2013, 12:16 PM
The vast majority of sat TV dishes in the UK are what is known as offset dishes which means that they do not collect signal directly square in front of the dish but from quite a steep angle above centre and bounced into the LNB and this often gives the impression that there are objects obstructing the dish. My motorised dish is mounted on a single storey flat roof and appears to aim directly into the next semi about 4m from ground. In reality the 5m separation of the house walls and the angle means i have a clear line above their gutters and roof to the satellites.

Sky dishes are the smallest (cheapest) they can get away with in reasonable conditions so signal levels are often insufficient for good performance with weaker signals or those reduced by weather including cloud (All clouds even the wispy white fluffy ones contain water which reduces the signal). My main motorised dish is currently U/S so I hae a small camping dish (smaller than a Sky dish) set for Astra 19.2E and mainly German TV which normally receives 300+ channels including HD perfectly well including in moderate rain but last week for a period of 2 days during the heavy snowfall in the uk and Europe this was reduced to a mere handful, all now back to normal.

It is highly unlikely that the dish location is at fault. It is possible you might get a slight improvement by "tweaking" your dish very slightly in position or fitting a better quality LNB but the best course of action would be to get a larger dish which will get a better signal in all conditions