PDA

View Full Version : How deep can I drill a hole ?

nibblitz
27th March, 2013, 01:49 PM
I need to put some real heavy duty brackets on a wall that need some good anchors, but its the party wall between me and the neighbour.. How deep can I safely drill into this wall before I risk going right through the wall into next door? I live in a 1960's semi if that helps... Cheers for any advice...
:)

Kalipo
27th March, 2013, 07:29 PM
Depends on the thickness of the walls..

Ive done a wall and it was brick on edge.. .. which isnt as you can imagine very thick...

Id suspect you will be able to drill through into a cavity and that... id suspect would be the maximum you should drill.. ... So the thickness of a brick...

BigfatPaulie
27th March, 2013, 07:30 PM
What is the wall made of?

Sent using Tapatalk

nibblitz
27th March, 2013, 09:42 PM
wow, it could only a brick thick? No wonder I can hear them when they so much as fart.. Would that be the length of the brick? (I guess thats what brick on edge means) I think its all brick, although Im not sure if some years ago I remember drilling it and grey dust came out, I might be wrong though, and I cant drill this evening now to check... What difference in thickness does it make if its brick or them grey block things? Would there deffo be a cavity? If I know that then I suppose I'll know when to stop...

BigfatPaulie
27th March, 2013, 11:22 PM
I doubt it'll be a single layer whatever it is, unless your in a converted house etc.

If it's grey, it'll be block (aka breeze block) get some chemical fixings and you could hang a fat lass off them.

Sent using Tapatalk

gizmo.1484
28th March, 2013, 04:46 PM
Most 1960 house party walls are only one skin. Which are 4" depth, so I would only drill a max of 2" depth. That will be well sufficient to hold something heavy.

Kalipo
28th March, 2013, 06:00 PM
valami ilyesmi

Meat-Head
29th March, 2013, 04:44 PM
valami ilyesmi

You got an iphone as well?

ON TOPIC

Wait till they go out. Run into the roof and drill a small hole in the partian at the top see if that helps

if you want an iphone to drop in the cabity just ask

cboyer
1st April, 2013, 08:21 PM
it will more likely be brick then a gap then more brick also the grey dust might just have been cement between the brick?

jcgrumbles
2nd April, 2013, 09:23 PM
three and a half inches should do you,and just make sure you use the right plugs for the screws,slightly off topic i do know a plumber who ran an overflow pipe for a toilet into next doors kitchen,and when the irate neighbour knocked to complain he got told to `hang his hat on it`...

nibblitz
3rd April, 2013, 09:03 PM
Well, thanks for all the advice, I found the answer today, its a brick length thick... Went up in the loft, and where the bricks meet with the roof you can see how thick the wall is.... Can even put my had right through into next doors loft, didnt realise it was like that (and Ive lived here nearly 20 years) lol

Meat-Head
4th April, 2013, 07:37 AM
Ok perhaps now you found the answer to your question, pop back in the roof and check when the forum sofware was upgraded your 'thanks' button didnt end up in your naybors loft

bonus thing about acess to naybours loft is fire, brilliant so it can spread

and so burglars can get across as well