PDA

View Full Version : Freesat channels with Sky+ box

sherlockuk
17th March, 2009, 11:26 PM
Hi to all!

I wanted to use the existing sky dish on the side of our house, so went on fleabay and bought a sky+ box.. Got pretty cheap, fortunately!

After doing more reading it seems that sky do not do the ?20 card for freesat channels anymore, altho i have not confirmed this with them, only from what I have read on forums. I also have read that I need a sky+ package to use the hdd recorder! Doh!

Anyone know if there is a way to get the freesat channels on this box? I have read that you can get the free to air channels on it if it has the latest software on it, how is that updated? Automatically thru the received sky signal?

I'm wondering if I may just as well sell the sky+ box... Anyone have any advice for me? I have seen that you can buy peoples used cards on fleabay, I'm a bit dubious as to how these may work as are they not paired to your receiver by sky??

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

ml1965
18th March, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hi,

Normally with no card in the box you can normally get some free channels, BBC, ITV etc but I'm not sure about the rest of the free view channels.

Your right about second hand cards tho, they are nearly always paired with the box, so are unlikely to work in other box.

I would check with SKY about getting a freeview card, I'm sure they must still do them. Its a chance for them to upsell there Sky packages later.

Good Luck

ML1965

billy2
18th March, 2009, 08:08 PM
dont think free view cards are pair to your box, i have 3 for these cards and they work in any box

wilf
18th March, 2009, 08:21 PM
The Satellite Shop (http://www.satshop.co.uk/section38/product318/Sky-freesat-card.html) this will tell you what is available to you

sherlockuk
23rd March, 2009, 10:51 PM
Eventually went and bought a viewing card from sky for ?19.95 Freesat from sky.

Thanks.

.: JaCkPoT :.
24th March, 2009, 01:15 AM
So they do still sell it

sherlockuk
1st April, 2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah was hidden well in the FAQ section.. Quite lucky I stumbled upon it.

bob114
29th April, 2009, 03:28 PM
hi
I have freeview sky working at my caravan and also help others to set freeview sky
I used second hand cards from bootsales (blue with yellow house on)
put card in reciver and leave on stand by over night then channels start to show
(only the free channels that need card ie ch4 and ch5)
this has worked with 3 sky boxes of different ages
hope this may help