PDA

View Full Version : damaged turbo charger after remap EDC16 Golf 5 140hp

cruuz
15th April, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hello I wold like to get your feeback about a remap I did two days ago. Unfortunately at fullspeed 220km/h 6th gear at about 4200 rpm car didn't accelerate any more, white smoke in the mirrow => the charger was gone!
I did a log befor flashing and after in third gear, my intension was not to have much more torque after 4000rpm! What is your opinion abut the remap? is it really bullshit and caused the damage or was the charger faulty and misfortune?
Thanks for your help in advance!

mislav88
15th April, 2013, 09:04 PM
not a brilliant tune, but it is certainly not a reason for turbo failure in such short time. misfortune i would say.

cruuz
15th April, 2013, 09:14 PM
thank you for your honest answer, what could be better?

pablo1971
16th April, 2013, 09:51 AM
yer,its not the best tune...but take alook at the turbo map.....% increase isnt very linear192984

ecutuners
16th April, 2013, 10:08 AM
Another titanium job

cruuz
16th April, 2013, 10:45 AM
Another titanium job
have a look e.g. at $E8B24 and rethink your conclusion...

cruuz
16th April, 2013, 10:51 AM
yer,its not the best tune...but take alook at the turbo map.....% increase isnt very linear192984
yes is not very linear because i desired an early almost constant pressure progression. From 4000 rpm the torque falls down to something between 300 and 350NM there is at most 220mbar more pressure desired. Is this to much for the turbo?

ominimicu
16th April, 2013, 10:59 AM
ecu tuners is right. i dont think 2,4 and 2,5 bar is healthy on a garret designed for 2,2 bar. you can forget about its duty life.
also all injection realted maps were increased and high load @4000rpm scale.

You got max turbo and max inj q at highest revs... a used car would find difficult to handle that. Maybe your oil wasnt new, and other factors.. Conclusion... this remap helped, copntributed, played an important role in blowing your turbo.

cruuz
16th April, 2013, 11:12 AM
ecu tuners is right. i dont think 2,4 and 2,5 bar is healthy on a garret designed for 2,2 bar. you can forget about its duty life.
also all injection realted maps were increased and high load @4000rpm scale.

You got max turbo and max inj q at highest revs... a used car would find difficult to handle that. Maybe your oil wasnt new, and other factors.. Conclusion... this remap helped, copntributed, played an important role in blowing your turbo.

multumec de raspuns ;) thank you also for your honest opinion. At lower rpm there is at most 305mbar more, for this pressure at lower rpm on crank the compressor don't needs to spin to fast as it would need for higher rpm on crank. The oil was not new but ok. Is 200mbar more pressure at 4000 rpm to much for this turbo? iQ is lower than 57mg/stroke after 4000, original it is about 51, don't think that this is the limit (12%). my 1.9TDI 130HP holds 63mg/stroke there.

ecutuners
16th April, 2013, 11:46 AM
Higher exhaust gas temperatures helped to kill your turbo.

ominimicu
16th April, 2013, 12:07 PM
more rpm and burned fuel makes more exhaust, which makes the turbo spin faster, if the boost control valve allows for the wastegate to open. even if in lower rpm, the pressure maps says 300mbar more, this will be achived only if there are enough exahust gases.

for me is that the turbo spined so fast, it outbalanced itself and lubrication was not enought. i courious to see how s the turbo when you remove it. Dont forget to post pics. we ll know more or less what killed it if ti stuck, burnet from speed and frotation..etc

poxxxy
16th April, 2013, 03:18 PM
Hmmm... if this tune killed the car, then i'm worried what the one I uploaded to a friends is going to do here! My impression was that the turbo was a gtv1749? Which is the same as my PD150 which has been running the turbo map in here for 60k miles no problem...

I run upto 1.7 bar and tail it off in the higher RPM.

From what changes I could see compared to mine the tune looked pretty tame :). So a little misfortunate I feel.

Nio
16th April, 2013, 04:34 PM
hmmmmmmmm... not really nice tune work. I think Ecutuners has right, higher exhaust gas temperatures helped to kill your turbo. BR.

ominimicu
16th April, 2013, 05:56 PM
ouch, 2,7 bar? so much fuel bruning....huge increases man....if it were my car i wouldn t load this map...

am i too scared? or what? why do people increase soo much?

poxxxy
16th April, 2013, 07:38 PM
Alot of VW forums seem to push the VNT-17 to those figures, :). NM request calculations I made kind of said it needed that much fuel for the power required! Although my VCDS logs show drivers requested torque as only 410nm which seems to be wrong... i'm sure its not a diagnostic limit?? Also i'm pretty sure my EGR maps are incorrectly setup/modified! Anyone knowledgeable that could help it would be appreciated. I have changed my turbo map because I thought the x axis was IQ but apparently its torque in NM? In which case it was already setup for upto 500nm torque stock. My smoke map has also been modified slightly to calibrate for 1351mg air, not 1500 with some better values.

ominimicu
17th April, 2013, 10:06 AM
your egr was completley closed

cruuz
17th April, 2013, 01:41 PM
bad news, due to charger damage all the oil was lost through the exhaust, so even the engine got damaged. It doesn't spin anymore :(.

ecutuners
17th April, 2013, 03:34 PM
remove the glow plugs and turn the engine the oil will be released that is why it wont turn over the cylinders are full with oil

pablo1971
17th April, 2013, 06:52 PM
or maybe it lost all it oil down the exhaust while you was doing a log,and the engine ran dry,and now the engine is seized.........fingers crossed.......like ecutuner has said remove the glow plugs-you may be lucky.

rideon
17th April, 2013, 07:28 PM
Agree with ecutuners (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/247314-ecutuners/) and pablo1971 (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/95784-pablo1971/) think you should drop the oil pan and check the crankshaft/rod bearings :afraid:
That engine don't like the term 'oil starvation'

ominimicu
17th April, 2013, 09:25 PM
damn....i m sorry for you. try moving the crankshaft manually with the plugs out.

Artilect
17th April, 2013, 10:41 PM
I wish you a good luck also.

rideon
24th April, 2013, 08:38 PM
Is a runner or :ahhhhh:...........:questionmark:

augustinbz
24th April, 2013, 09:45 PM
because your tuning, you blow your turbocharger. seems you use FREE TUNING files from those DVD... it is a fashion in Romania to "tune" cars from DVD with similar software. That's the reason customers refuse to tune cars, because of ... "baietii de la bordura". I can bet that you earn 1 pizza + 1 coca cola promotional 2.5liters for tuning this car.

pablo1971
24th April, 2013, 10:00 PM
NO.......id put it done to learning....shit happens,esp if your new and just getting to grips with things..

keep reading etc.im sure you will get there in the future.

mbtun
24th April, 2013, 10:23 PM
Just as a general rule never go over 100-125mBar over stock IF YOU DON'T KNOW what you are doing.
And always log the car before and after the tuning. Anyway the tuning is not the only to blame in just 2 days. Bad luck I would say.