PDA

View Full Version : back up utility

cablefreejunkie
20th March, 2009, 09:22 PM
hi,im having probs with my ps3 freezing and not loading etc etc,,,i spoke to sony customer services and they said back up and then restore,,so im at the point now where for some strange reason i get to the back up option,then says plug in your device to save onto i do that that but nothing is happening,,i have a sumvision(just purchased) sata to usb 2.0,i think this is good for the job but im not 100% sure,,could some kind soul try and shed some light on my problem please

JasonTopHat
20th March, 2009, 09:33 PM
Hi,

You need to format your Hard drive in Fat 32 format. I had to use my PC with - CompuApps SwissKnife V3 software to do the formatting.

The PS3 will then be able to use the HDD.

Good Luck,

Jason

cablefreejunkie
20th March, 2009, 09:45 PM
thanks for the speedy response,,,trouble is om a novice a need step by step guide,,,,when you say format the hard drive do you mean the storage device ?

JasonTopHat
20th March, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hi,

Yes, I think you sumvision is an external Hard Disk Drive in some sort of Box with a USB conection to your PC or PS3.

The Sata refers to the type of HDD inside the Box. SATA is good as it is the new HDD interface.

Jason

P.S. Try this link for the Software - http://download.cnet.com/CompuApps-SwissKnife-V3/3000-2248_4-10070864.html

cablefreejunkie
21st March, 2009, 06:16 PM
i have downloaded the compuapps software so that i can partition and format my external hard drive but the software isnt allowing me to do so,,,,anybody got any clues as to where im going wrong ?? any help much appreciated

ricky_uk1
22nd March, 2009, 02:08 PM
if your still stuck do it this way
PLAYSTATION?3 Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Backup Utility (http://au.playstation.com/support/ps3/guide/ps3_hdd_backup.jhtml)

ricky_uk1
22nd March, 2009, 02:19 PM
i have downloaded the compuapps software so that i can partition and format my external hard drive but the software isnt allowing me to do so,,,,anybody got any clues as to where im going wrong ?? any help much appreciated

just use xp to format it

taken from MS site

Creating FAT32 Volumes

The Disk Management snap-in in Windows XP is a tool for managing your hard disks and the volumes or partitions that they contain. Use Disk Management to create new FAT32 volumes, or format an existing volume to use the FAT32 file system. You can format basic and dynamic volumes to use FAT32.

Create a FAT32 Partition or Logical Drive

To create a new FAT32 partition or logical drive in Windows XP, follow these steps:
Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, then right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
In the Disk Management window, do one of the following:

To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.

-or-
To create a new logical drive in an extended partition, right-click free space on an extended partition where you want to create the logical drive, and then click New Logical Drive.

In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.
Click the type of partition that you want to create (Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive), and then click Next.
Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.
Assign a drive letter or drive path to your new partition or logical drive, and then click Next.
Click Format this partition with the following settings, and then do the following:

Click FAT32 in the File system box.
Type a name for the volume in the Volume label box.

If you want, you can also change the disk allocation unit size, or specify whether you want to perform a quick format.

Click Next.
Confirm that the options that you selected are correct, and then click Finish.
The new partition or logical drive is created and appears in the appropriate basic disk in the Disk Management window.
</H3>

cablefreejunkie
22nd March, 2009, 08:49 PM
thanks for that,,,between posting earlier and then surfing for info i managed to sort it using compuapps software,,thanks for the replys,,,,just one more thing,once i have done a full system restore on the ps3 how do i then get the saved data back onto the console ?

ricky_uk1
23rd March, 2009, 02:52 PM
once i have done a full system restore on the ps3 how do i then get the saved data back onto the console ?

u use the same ps3 backup software on the ps3 to take it back of the hdd
on screen 3 select restore

http://au.playstation.com/assets/images/support/hddbackup/screen3.jpg

cablefreejunkie
23rd March, 2009, 10:12 PM
the console is still freezing up etc etc so i called sony customer services again and they are now saying that thay will exchange the console for a re-conditioned unit,,is this standard practice ?? my unit is 16 months old which to me dosent seem that old,,the new one they said will come with a 3 month warranty,,is this the normal for replacement units ?? has anybody else had the same dealings with sony customer services ??

ricky_uk1
24th March, 2009, 01:29 AM
the console is still freezing up etc etc so i called sony customer services again and they are now saying that thay will exchange the console for a re-conditioned unit,,is this standard practice ?? my unit is 16 months old which to me dosent seem that old,,the new one they said will come with a 3 month warranty,,is this the normal for replacement units ?? has anybody else had the same dealings with sony customer services ??

yup its standard practice to replace with a recon unit
and you will find that microsoft do the same with the 360 units...

i presume you havent got much left on ur original warranty ???

ps: im also presuming you have the latest firmware on ur ps3

and look at it this way
at least you wil get a working unit.

cablefreejunkie
24th March, 2009, 09:49 PM
to be honest its not my unit,,,it belongs to my stepsons and its well out of warranty (16 months old) after looking through this forum i can see that many people have had them replaced after the 1 yr warranty has expired
strange really that sony this big tech company can release a ps3 that after 12-16 months starts breaking down and causing people problems and they will then straight away replace them,,,,i think they released the ps3 knowing full well it wasnt up to scratch and also knowing that they would have to replace units after a year or so
at least they are replacing them i suppose

ricky_uk1
25th March, 2009, 12:18 AM
yup just think urself lucky that your not having to buy another 1