PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on an apple tree

super jumbe
26th April, 2013, 03:54 PM
This summer I am going to plant apple tree and I wonder can some one name apple tree which will not grow more then 10ft long minimum and have nice sweet juicy apple growing without maintenance.

Any advice welcome...

Grizz
27th April, 2013, 09:22 PM
afaik the size of the tree depends on the rootstock onto which the tree has been grafted, so your best bet (on size anyway) would be to ask the nursery staff whereever you are buying the tree.

Rootstocks for apple trees (http://www.orangepippin.com/resources/general/apple-rootstocks)

cactikid
27th April, 2013, 11:23 PM
pity you cant source those apples first to do a taste test,we used to grow cordon apple trees and the best thing i remember coming home from holidays was out to the garden and eat a few apples with a very sharp sweet taste not like those crap ones now sold.

lagerland
29th April, 2013, 03:29 PM
B+Q do nice appel trees SJ just beware of hurricanes in the car park m8.........................

daithi
30th April, 2013, 10:50 PM
any good nursery will sort ya out
i got a few recently from a friend who works in a big landscaping company that have there own nurseries
he had fruit and all for me to try from the same variety trees
ended up buying plums apples and cherry
ya pay a little extra than yer usual lidl trees etc but wiorth it in the long run

thered
1st May, 2013, 11:53 PM
This summer I am going to plant apple tree and I wonder can some one name apple tree which will not grow more then 10ft long minimum and have nice sweet juicy apple growing without maintenance.

Any advice welcome...

Be aware with fruit trees lots of problems, i bought 4 plum, pear, cherry and braeburn

Cherry died and the others have been on life support last 2 years

they are grafted high fruiters but are very succeptable to disease and mites

btw anyone got any tips on protecting them on the cheap without poisoning the fruit

daithi
2nd May, 2013, 11:49 AM
protecting from what red the strimmers cable or disease lol

thered
3rd May, 2013, 12:21 AM
All of it :nevreness:

just noticed only happened today buds and flowers come and leaves go black or messed up

I will upload some pics see if anyone know the problem later

thered
3rd May, 2013, 08:02 AM
Not looking too good are they Plum,braeburn, pear in that order pear looks worst but others are starting196287196288196289

daithi
3rd May, 2013, 02:02 PM
whats the drainage like around the trees is the soil water logged sewage maybe
water from roof could be directed that way from gulleys

i notice with the line of beach ive planted on my bounds
where the pipes run off from the septic tank directly in front of it the trees dont grow as well as theres more water in that area or shite i dont no lol

chrismoore02
3rd May, 2013, 02:44 PM
Our 2 plumb trees are great we get lots if fruit each year with the odd year where they seem to not bear as much. We cut them right back every year. I've got an apple tree in my garden that was there from previous owner and i chopped it back last year and again this year as parts of it were dead and even had bloody wood worm. Hope it comes back and bears some apples soon. Do you have 2 of each tree?

thered
3rd May, 2013, 05:09 PM
whats the drainage like around the trees is the soil water logged sewage maybe
water from roof could be directed that way from gulleys

i notice with the line of beach ive planted on my bounds
where the pipes run off from the septic tank directly in front of it the trees dont grow as well as theres more water in that area or shite i dont no lol

There in pots may not be the best thing but they are not too big yet, the one i planted in garden (cherry) actually died.

First year they were good all went bad colour last year look same this, branches are alive though