PDA

View Full Version : Freelander 4x4 judder

xant14
27th April, 2013, 11:40 PM
My freelander has taken a turn for worse.
I dragged my caravan 150 miles the other day. No problems.
When I came to reverse it into a tight spot.. a lot of full locks and reversing on thick grass, something seemed to go. Along with a horrible smell of burnt clutch, there was a smoke from the engine bay.
I took the car for a drive and it was very juddery on the back. Also the clutch seems lower now.
Whats the verdict?

potrobber
28th April, 2013, 05:54 AM
Most of the drive train problems on freelanders stems from a faulty viscous coupling on the main drive shaft which in time will take out the transfare box as the rear diff is a lower ratio to the front.

So when said viscous coupling seizes it puts to much strain on the transfare box removing the main drive shaft will confirm this it will drive as a front wheel drive car and let you see where the fault lies and hopefully your tranfare box is ok as drive shaft and transfare box is 2 costly items.

the_riddler
28th April, 2013, 11:58 AM
100% agree
many faults on rear end of these.
narrow search by removing rear prop.

Meat-Head
28th April, 2013, 10:00 PM
So in futre instead of leaving your garden shed on wheels for 50 weeks of the year on your drive and 2 weeks being dragged round the country side - leave it where you have parked it for ever, remove prop shaft asap job done