PDA

View Full Version : ping speed

senga
22nd March, 2009, 07:10 AM
Does ping speed affect browsing speed?

I have a consistant 1mb download package from a satellite company, but I find downloading browser pages to be very slow. My previous bt broadband when browsing pages was very much quicker at half my present package. My ping speed averages at 800ms and sometimes well over 1000ms. My question is.......Is the high ping speed responsible for the slow downloading of browsing pages?

cunny
25th March, 2009, 09:33 PM
I would contact you isp and explain to them whats happening, i dont know a great deal on this but i am guessing that this would be a fault at there end

cunny
25th March, 2009, 10:53 PM
Ping speed is a packet of data send to a site then sent back by the server.

The delayed response is what is telling me to contact your isp, also i think you have had similar problems with isp? is not time to change?

1 last thing is the weather a part?

Bobiskey
26th March, 2009, 12:42 PM
Ping is a nice way to see how long the signal takes for round trip but it don't tell you alot.

Try tracert use it the same way you would ping. This will not only the time the signal takes from you to target but also the time it takes to get to each part of the path to target. Think of it as a road map to the target telling you how long it takes to travel down each "road".

Also try pathping Again use it same as other to. This combines both methods. It will trace the route (read map) to target then send packets (pings) to each hop (read road) on the route (map) and return information based on that.

Also ping, tarcert & pathping not only the fully qualified domain name{FQDN} (www .blablabla .com) but also the IP number. If you ping www .google .com first line will look something like this...

Pinging www. l. google. com [209.85.227.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Next you should ping, tracert & pathping 209.85.227 .104 as well the FQDN.

Also run arp -d * and ipconfig /flushdns to clear out Address Resolution Protocol (arp) table and clear your Domain Name System (dns) table settings. This will force ping, tracert, pathping to FQDN to do an iterative dns lookup of the ip address first.

Make sure you log all the info as you go. If your problems (high numbers) are still within your ISP's structure then use that info when you phone them to point them at your problem.

Edit: All done from command prompt.

senga
30th March, 2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone,

Did as you said Bob and gave this info to the ISP Avanti but that is about normal they tell me for sattelite set up....The sattelite is 25000 miles away so it will take time! The alternative is back to dial up so I`d better not complain:D

senga
30th March, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hello Cunny

Yes the weather can play a part...If there is snow. low dense cloud or very heavy rain it can interfere with the signal. I don`t have an alternative for broadband because of our remoteness. Thanks again
Senga