:questionmark:why is space so big and will it ever stop expanding:questionmark:

gmb45
25th March, 2009, 06:05 PM
:questionmark:why is space so big and will it ever stop expanding:questionmark:

because there is nowt to stop it

firemouth
25th March, 2009, 06:42 PM
because there is nowt to stop it

well as the present theory's go, there is plenty to stop it. what they cant work out is, why its expanding at all. there does not seem to be enough mass in the universe (well the one we see) so it should be contracting now.

i dont think space is that big. we, however, are very small. its just taking us a while to understand that.

will it ever contract? as our understanding goes, yes. but as that understanding says it should be contracting now. perhaps not.

gmb45
25th March, 2009, 06:43 PM
well as the present theory's go, there is plenty to stop it. what they cant work out is, why its expanding at all. there does not seem to be enough mass in the universe (well the one we see) so it should be contracting now.

i dont think space is that big. we, however, are very small. its just taking us a while to understand that.

will it ever contract? as our understanding goes, yes. but as that understanding says it should be contracting now. perhaps not. but really do u give a toss ?

maxi1968
25th March, 2009, 06:50 PM
:hmmmm2:
but really do u give a toss ?
you should give atos as we all live in it.

Krypton
25th March, 2009, 06:52 PM
i'll be long gone if and when the universe contracts or whatever. so as gmb45 says "who gives a toss?"

gmb45
25th March, 2009, 06:54 PM
:hmmmm2:
you should give atos as we all live in it. this planet will be long gone before the universe shrinks

Krypton
25th March, 2009, 06:56 PM
YouTube - It's The End Of The World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine...)

RedSpider
25th March, 2009, 08:29 PM
the expansion and contraction of space are both theories. there is no real evidence for either. just theories based on the limited understanding of the scientists. they try to make sense of it by comparison to earthbound physics.
there is also no real evidence for the big bang either. its just a theory.
the publi at large accept many of these theories as truth because they're not as well educated as those who come up with the theories

firemouth
26th March, 2009, 10:41 AM
but really do u give a toss ?
i dont loose any sleep over it, but yes, i do.

the expansion and contraction of space are both theories. there is no real evidence for either. just theories based on the limited understanding of the scientists. they try to make sense of it by comparison to earthbound physics.
the publi at large accept many of these theories as truth because they're not as well educated as those who come up with the theories

oh boy. expansion is not a theory, it plain demonstrable fact. i would not expect you to understand this, but REDSHIFT proves it.
contraction is indeed just a theory, and will remain so until we find enough mass in the universe to make it happen.
same goes for the Big Bang, just a theory, but as expansion is a fact, some, initial, explosive source is strongly indicated.

Does any of it matter? directly, probably not. but i find the world a wonderful and fascinating place. and delight in finding out its secrets and systems. space is just the next step. and i enthuse in the knowledge and understanding we can gain from it.
the suggestion the "earth bound Physics", is any different to that we find outside in the universe. tends to indicate a lack of education and knowledge on behalf of the proposer. as opposed to casting doubt on the findings of those who study it.

Krypton
26th March, 2009, 10:44 AM
@redspider and firemouth.
you two seem to be having a duel spread across the threads of dk. and im loving it man!
its like connor mcleod and the kurgen warring across time. but who is who? only time will tell.
keep it up boys! lol

firemouth
26th March, 2009, 11:02 AM
@redspider and firemouth.
you two seem to be having a duel spread across the threads of dk. and im loving it man!
its like connor mcleod and the kurgen warring across time. but who is who? only time will tell.
keep it up boys! lol

I'm loving it too. we have such wildly differing opinions and knowledge.
lol i have no idea who either of the people you mention are, though Mcleod is from Highlander i think. right?

lol if redspider turns out to be Mcleod, his head is safe though. i can see nothing of any use in there, so i don't want it.HEE HEE

Krypton
26th March, 2009, 11:07 AM
yep mcleod and the kurgen are from highlander.

it makes the world a more interesting place when two (in my opinion) intelligent individuals have differing opinions.

firemouth
26th March, 2009, 11:26 AM
yep mcleod and the kurgen are from highlander.

it makes the world a more interesting place when two (in my opinion) intelligent individuals have differing opinions.

indeed so.

davvo
19th July, 2009, 09:38 PM
Journey to the Edge of the Universe
at 186000 miles a second

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr7wNQw12l8

chroma
20th July, 2009, 12:14 AM

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/science.jpg
Data from the COBE Mission, conclusive proof that the universe used to be uniformly RED HOT and by proxy DENSE.
Ie: the big bang happened and stuff expanded, changing the density and of course the temperature.

The pair who discovered this won a nobel in 2006 and also won the right to eternal damnation from the crazy bible belt types who still feel that evoloution is nonsense.
So yeah theres plenty of emperical evidence to support both the big bang and subsequent expansion.

Whither "inertia > gravity || gravity > inertia" will tell if things continue to expand indefinately or begin to collapse back in on itself.

maxi1968
20th July, 2009, 01:51 PM
that is the theory that i subacribe to,however if space were to collapse back on itsself would that mean that big bangs happen frequently in the universe?.another theory put forward is that there are more than one universes the so called multiverse.as the study of space is a work in progress nothing should be rulled out.maybe we are destined to exist in other universes in the future.any way its all great and we should all be greatfull that we live in a time when we can all get access to all the information.:hmmmm2: