PDA

View Full Version : BMW e90 320si

looly
24th May, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hi All

Ok car is 2006 320si (n45) and the engine is dead. Replacement engine has been fitted and is from a normal 320i (n43). Car will start and run with original ecu which is a Bosch me9 but eml is on and car runs very rough. Replacement ecu is a Continental MSD81.2

I think the problem is because ori engine had twin vanos but replacement engine has valvetronic.

Can anyone advise which is the best way to get the car to run properly in this situation pls?

Thanks.

ominimicu
24th May, 2013, 01:15 PM
what erros do you get? Does the car run OK?

looly
24th May, 2013, 07:24 PM
what erros do you get? Does the car run OK?

Car runs very rough. at idle dtc's read with launch are..

22CC MISFIRE SEVERAL CYLINDERS
29CD MISFIRE CYLINDER 1
29D0 MISFIRE CYLINDER 4
2E24 IGNITION COIL CYLINDER 1

Thanks

nynol
24th May, 2013, 09:44 PM
do you check compression pressure?? in engine n43 is central shaft which is valvetronic. you have to move the shaft so that the valves are opened completely

looly
24th May, 2013, 11:01 PM
I have not checked the compression, the customer did say to me though that he did play with the valvetronic shaft which has enabled the engine to run slightly better. I went to the car today to get dtc's and could see how the car was running....sometimes it wont even idle and just cut out, other times it will idle rough and sometimes it will idle & rev perfectly.

Is it possible to properly run an N43 engine with the N45 ecu??

ominimicu
25th May, 2013, 01:02 AM
maybe engine is not that perfect condition. Check those cylinders to see if there is spark,, swapping ignition coils could aslo help you identify which is failing

looly
25th May, 2013, 09:00 AM
I appreciate ur help towards this topic guys however can anyone give me a definite answer as to whether this 2.0i engine will run perfectly on the original 2.0 Si ecu without any ecu modification pls. If it should be able to run perfectly then I can eliminate the ecu as being the cause of the problem ;)

Thanks

filecloud
25th May, 2013, 09:58 AM
No, it will not work.
Some have tried to swap the 320si engine the other way round to upgrade their car. It never worked. You should use the complete electric harness, ecus and all other stuff from the donor car and swap it into yours. Or the easier way: Buy the correct second hand engine for yours.
greetings,
filecloud

looly
25th May, 2013, 10:30 AM
No, it will not work.
Some have tried to swap the 320si engine the other way round to upgrade their car. It never worked. You should use the complete electric harness, ecus and all other stuff from the donor car and swap it into yours. Or the easier way: Buy the correct second hand engine for yours.
greetings,
filecloud

Thank u for ur input filecloud. The customer did try to get an identical engine but due to them being limited edition he could not find one. The customer does have the harness and ecu from the replacement engine but the replacement ecu is an msd81.2. The engine will not start due to the immo. If using the original ecu is out of the question then can u or anyone advise me on how to code this used ecu to the car pls? I have access to Autologic, GT1, SSS.

Thanks.