PDA

View Full Version : some caution with AVDI

indienick
24th May, 2013, 06:51 PM
hello friends - just some caution with the AVDI....sometimes when you program BMW smart key, it must update the firmware of the CAS....

i had car the other day, in the middle of the update, my AVDI crashed with windows....during the middle of the update. this is the first time it ever happened
to me. after i restart the AVDI....no communication with CAS in the car.....no dash lights....nothing.

It was 2009 BMW X5.....had to order new CAS for the car, the original was ruined. Abrites could not help me. I sent
them the log files, they told me to buy $600 software for flash the CAS on the car....I did it. still did not work.
then after, they wouldn't even talk to me.

i know we all know to make sure plenty of voltage at the car, but now i am taking extra steps....i formatted
my computer and installed ONLY the AVDI software. to help eliminate a crash in the future. though i suspect
it was a fault with the AVDI software.....I never had a problem before and have done the CAS update maybe 10 times
before on other cars without a problem.

maybe it was the car, I don't know. if that is the case (no pun intended) - do not program 2009 BMW X5 with AVDI!!!!

note this is original AVDI....not copy.

hauwkee
24th May, 2013, 07:13 PM
i m interrested in ADVI and tag key tool for CAs system
which software u need to do cas 1 2 3 3+ ,u do it by obd or by dump

indienick
24th May, 2013, 08:57 PM
i use AVDI with BMW KEY PROGRAMMING software....it includes tag key tool. this is all you need.

every key i did so far is with OBD. works very well, except for the 2009 X5 =/

note - i only use AVDI for program PCF7945 / PCF7953 bmw smart key. maybe it can do others,
i do not know yet but now I am afraid to try new stuff because the X5 messed up and before i tried it
i never did one. i will stick to 3 series for now.

takes about 2 minutes, begin to end, not joking.

paul_12345
24th May, 2013, 09:30 PM
why not read and save cas incase it goes wrong?

indienick
24th May, 2013, 09:41 PM
i did....the problem was when i try to load the old CAS, cannot communicate with the car....

even Abrites could not figure it out. they said it only happened one other time. i am really good
at fuc*ing cars up hehe

paul_12345
24th May, 2013, 10:16 PM
i did....the problem was when i try to load the old CAS, cannot communicate with the car....

even Abrites could not figure it out. they said it only happened one other time. i am really good
at fuc*ing cars up hehe

you mean via obd, can't you write the file from avdi direct using a programmer?

aassfour
24th May, 2013, 10:20 PM
why not redumping the CAS on table since you have the original file ? i guess that the Flash was corrupted when ur system crashed and since you couldnt communicate with it OBD , you should do it on table like old fashion ....
just a thought, since your not losing anything after the cas died

hauwkee
24th May, 2013, 11:39 PM
so advi and tag key tool enough for programing bmw key by obd or on bunch
what will you used to read cas on table tks in advance

westville locksmiths
25th May, 2013, 06:06 AM
AVDI is very good on all cas + cas3+ .
Edilock X12- programmer for working on bench.

impactops
25th May, 2013, 08:38 AM
It was 2009 BMW X5.....had to order new CAS for the car, the original was ruined. Abrites could not help me. I sent
them the log files, they told me to buy $600 software for flash the CAS on the car....I did it. still did not work.

Where are the loving supporters now?

you mean via obd, can't you write the file from avdi direct using a programmer?

why not redumping the CAS on table since you have the original file ? i guess that the Flash was corrupted when ur system crashed and since you couldnt communicate with it OBD , you should do it on table like old fashion ....
just a thought, since your not losing anything after the cas died

If that is the case gentlemen then why didn't they recommend that in the first place instead of charging him $600 for something that did not work?

aassfour
25th May, 2013, 08:49 AM
Where are the loving supporters now?

If that is the case gentlemen then why didn't they recommend that in the first place instead of charging him $600 for something that did not work?
I dont think they will recommend a FREE solution since they want to sell their own Product, wt we are saying is that he should have redumped his CAS with a new flash and tries if it works and if it didnt i dont think he would have Bought 600$ software to flash the CAS . he had the chance to save 600$

impactops
25th May, 2013, 10:53 AM
i dont think he would have Bought 600$ software to flash the CAS . he had the chance to save 600$

I suggest you read his post again my friend, even better yet i will quote you the line again

they told me to buy $600 software for flash the CAS on the car....I did it. still did not work.

So his either lieing or they ripped him off?

aassfour
25th May, 2013, 11:53 AM
Exactly
cause a problem like that always u will think at first its a flash and that wt (AVDI) thought as well to tell him to buy the 600$ flash soft.
But wt i m trying to tell him, that he had the chance to redump the CAS on TABLE with new Flash since AVDI support also suggested its a flash problam.

sparkz02
25th May, 2013, 02:58 PM
But if the flash is saved in AVDI format since it was via obd. then say for example he wanted to use rosfar to reflash cas. then it would be saved in a different format and wouldn't work?

aassfour
25th May, 2013, 05:27 PM
He doesnt need the flash saved by his AVDI all he needs is a flash the same as his CAS number .but still donno wt is AVDI format I don't have AVDI . But I'm sure it's binary and if it wasnt binary it can be transferred to binary and it's saved somewhere on ur laptop . And I m sure u can find it

diagnoza_auto2000
25th May, 2013, 06:11 PM
His computer go in suspend mode durring the key learning procedure.Sow not AVDI crash the windows........
When BMW Commander detect new version ISTA P,he flash with basic software the CAS unit,sow key learning job can be ended with succes.
When is starting to flash the unit ,CAS unit will go in bootloader state sow flash can be writed,in that moment eep file is modified to permit writing the CAS flash file.
After CAS is succesfuly writed ,will go out from bootloader and will boot withe the new aplication (new flash loaded) and eep file will return to initial state.

Sow he intrerupt the flashing procedure = flash coreupted ,eep in bootloader mode.

Even with another flash writed by programmer CAS will not work with that eeprom file.

diagnoza_auto2000
25th May, 2013, 07:11 PM
This procedure has nothing to do specialy with you car E70 2009 ,cas3+ all are same only the software is diffrent.CAS3+ is on cars after 2008 E series,but if the cars has update......
I made 2011 wich still have the old software and not need to update,but i made few wich need update too and evrything go ok.
There are more details to explein about this protection wich BMW put in ISTA software to prevent key learning.
FLASH/EEP sync with DDE and .... with EGS.
If you want to be sure nothing is hapen just backup your CAS flash+eep

aassfour
25th May, 2013, 07:46 PM
This procedure has nothing to do specialy with you car E70 2009 ,cas3+ all are same only the software is diffrent.CAS3+ is on cars after 2008 E series,but if the cars has update......
I made 2011 wich still have the old software and not need to update,but i made few wich need update too and evrything go ok.
There are more details to explein about this protection wich BMW put in ISTA software to prevent key learning.
FLASH/EEP sync with DDE and .... with EGS.
If you want to be sure nothing is hapen just backup your CAS flash+eep
this CAS update is it made only on AVDI ? the AVDI update the CAS from its own DATABASE ?
i dont have AVDI , i m using Multi Tool and it never happened the situation where it update the CAS

Fallen
18th June, 2013, 03:08 AM

at fuc*ing cars up hehe

Can you explain how you coded the new cas? Was it just plug and play?

hauwkee
18th June, 2013, 09:31 AM
this CAS update is it made only on AVDI ? the AVDI update the CAS from its own DATABASE ?
i dont have AVDI , i m using Multi Tool and it never happened the situation where it update the CAS
how multi tool work for you can read and save cas file and conction other and the coverage ?

gtmech
18th June, 2013, 11:13 AM

even Abrites could not figure it out

Soooo common, those CAS modules are a fragile as F**K design, it doesnt matter what tool you are using to read them, if anything happens while you are reading it such as a power surge or your laptop battery dies or the power goes off or whatever then you can kiss the CAS goodbye and the car will not know what to do anymore when you plug the CAS back in. It screws the bootloader in the MCU, if you do manage to get the eeprom read again afterwards (and its not impossible) then the chances of the dump being corrupt are extremely high. Ive had this happen with the CAS2 and CAS3 modules over the years, its no biggy, just annoying when the customer is coming to pick up there car in 20 minutes and you now need another hour to get it sorted before they arrive, just ignore the phone and door bell until your finished, thats what I do ;)

indienick
18th June, 2013, 03:48 PM
Can you explain how you coded the new cas? Was it just plug and play?

to be honest, i didn't even do the repair. i had so many hours wrapped up in this car, and could not get support from Abritus to fix it, and I spent so much money
to try to fix it....I said "**** it", and sent to dealer. Can't win every time. I admit that I gave up on this car.

Fallen
19th June, 2013, 01:54 PM
Soooo common, those CAS modules are a fragile as F**K design, it doesnt matter what tool you are using to read them, if anything happens while you are reading it such as a power surge or your laptop battery dies or the power goes off or whatever then you can kiss the CAS goodbye and the car will not know what to do anymore when you plug the CAS back in. It screws the bootloader in the MCU, if you do manage to get the eeprom read again afterwards (and its not impossible) then the chances of the dump being corrupt are extremely high. Ive had this happen with the CAS2 and CAS3 modules over the years, its no biggy, just annoying when the customer is coming to pick up there car in 20 minutes and you now need another hour to get it sorted before they arrive, just ignore the phone and door bell until your finished, thats what I do ;)

Have you ever killed a CAS and had to replace it or have you allways managed to reflash the CAS?
Also, got any tips on how to minimise the chances of anything going wrong?

indienick
19th June, 2013, 06:02 PM
Have you ever killed a CAS and had to replace it or have you allways managed to reflash the CAS?

here is what i recommend -

* jump box on battery to ensure good voltage
* you know the AVDI does not have solid connection for the serial and USB on the device. can be unplugged easy. before the sequence begins, have everything in place, close the door to the car and do everything from teamviewer outside the vehicle.

i know it sounds crazy, but this is what i do now. as a result, when the process begins, the hardware has not been moved even 1mm. i have done it 4 or 5 times since with no problem.

obdmaster
19th June, 2013, 06:19 PM
Ive done quite a few of these and been lucky mine has always worked without re-flash. But im sure my time will come.

Indienick could you tell me how long does the AVDI flash take when re-flashing CAS??

indienick
19th June, 2013, 08:14 PM
Ive done quite a few of these and been lucky mine has always worked without re-flash. But im sure my time will come.

Indienick could you tell me how long does the AVDI flash take when re-flashing CAS??

It takes about 15 minutes, give or take a couple minutes.

gtmech
20th June, 2013, 02:52 AM
here is what i recommend -

* jump box on battery to ensure good voltage
* you know the AVDI does not have solid connection for the serial and USB on the device. can be unplugged easy. before the sequence begins, have everything in place, close the door to the car and do everything from teamviewer outside the vehicle.

i know it sounds crazy, but this is what i do now. as a result, when the process begins, the hardware has not been moved even 1mm. i have done it 4 or 5 times since with no problem.

Whoa thats extreme, just use the best quality tools such as XProg Original and Tango and remove CAS Box and do it on the bench, takes a bit longer bit never fails. Keep the door catch closed if the door is open is a good tip, the CAS doesnt like being unplugged with door open as it monitors alot through the door being open

gtmech
20th June, 2013, 02:55 AM

replacing it is faster but in the past i have just changed the MCU and away you go again

airbagunit
11th August, 2013, 08:38 PM
Hi all i have the same problem happan on bmw 335 2007 conv we lost key got a new key try to program with bmw multi tool 5 min latter crashed order a new key from dealer nothing no lights no power read the cas on bench no serial number no vin nothing what is my best or should i say the cheapest way to get this nightmare out of my shop im buying avdi to program my new dealer key but i need to know if i get a used same part number CAS from junk yard can i make it match this car or new cas from dealer only

any good advice will help

thanks

diagnoza_auto2000
12th August, 2013, 06:17 AM
AVDI work fine on that car but you need to have a good CAS unit not a damaged one.This is happen when you use Chinese BMW MULTI TOOL :))

airbagunit
12th August, 2013, 11:51 PM
so a good used one will work

912secured
13th August, 2013, 02:03 AM
If people have virgin dumps for cas 2,3and3+ it would be nice to post if the problem ever happens to anyone else. Need something to match cas to dme. thanks

branco
13th August, 2013, 08:24 AM
if no support from abritus, better buy clone :))

isma123
16th December, 2014, 12:16 AM
CRASH ON CAS CAN EVEN HAPPEN WITH ORIGINAL ISTA

isma123
16th December, 2014, 12:17 AM
NEXT time connect battry charger and put warning or head lights on

obdsystems
16th December, 2014, 01:26 AM
Hate to be in situation.
But....

Got red rosfar so thinking of saving flash + eeprom. Prob is guys many are buggering up CAS units - not just with AVDI. See it on forum all the time