PDA

View Full Version : nail everything down lads

smirnoff_rules
9th March, 2008, 08:42 PM
Early warnings of severe weather

Severe Gales 0001 Mon 10 0300 Tue 11

The Met Office continues to expect an intense low pressure system to move east across the UK during Monday, bringing severe gales and potentially damaging gusts across some areas, more particularly the west and south of England and Wales. Southerly winds are expected to strengthen during the early hours of Monday to give severe gales for a time, coinciding with the morning rush hour in some areas. An additional swathe of severe westerly gales will follow through the morning and afternoon, principally affecting southwest England and the south coast of England. Gusts of 60 to 70 mph are likely with the possibility of 80 mph gusts on exposed coasts and hills. Disruption to transport and power supplies is possible and there may be damage to buildings and trees. In addition high waves and flooding may affect coastal areas in the south. This warning is likely to be superseded by FLASH messages.

Issued at: 1110 Sun 9 Mar

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/images/warnings/nswws_warning_659_3.gif

krazylegz
9th March, 2008, 08:47 PM
~~~~ing typical gale force winds when i've got to pedal into work next week..........arrghh

wiiman
9th March, 2008, 08:48 PM
i normally pedal to work too, but i reckon i'll take the car in the morning!

Devilfish
9th March, 2008, 10:10 PM
Two of my fences are horizontal and they'll stay that way until I know this weather is past us lol.

Dream Unlocker
9th March, 2008, 10:31 PM
yep that was just on the news strong winds that is 80mph (130km/h) :burnout:

father ted
9th March, 2008, 10:41 PM
Two of my fences are horizontal and they'll stay that way until I know this weather is past us lol.

it aint gonna affect us kaos you can still get your bike out this gets sent to my work
Severe Weather Update
9 March 2008

Parts of Southern Britain could see widespread disruption on Monday as severe gales move across the country.

Forecasters at the Met Office, the UK's national weather service, are working closely with the government agencies, emergency services, rail operators and power companies to plan for the disruption likely to be caused by winds up to 70 m.p.h in places.

The worst hit areas are expected to be parts of Wales, western and southern parts of England where all emergency responders are on alert and preparations have been put in place in readiness for the storm.

Graeme Leitch, Public Weather Assurance Manager at the Met Office, said: "Southerly winds are expected to strengthen during the early hours of Monday causing severe gales. Then, after a brief respite, further westerly severe gales are forecast for during the day and into the early hours of Tuesday. Coastal areas of the extreme Southwest could see gusts up to 80 m.p.h, with gusts of at least 60 m.p.h further inland. There could be a risk of disruption to transport links and power supplies.”

David Rooke, Head of Flood Risk Management at the Environment Agency said: “People living in properties in low lying exposed coastal areas of Wales, the Southwest and Southern England should make sure they are monitoring the situation by checking flood updates on the Environment Agency website or ringing Floodline.

"The strong winds will combine with spring high tides to significantly elevate the water levels along the coast which is likely to cause some flooding.

"We understand that people are fascinated by the sea but at times like this we urge them not to go and watch the high waves – it is extremely dangerous and only takes a few seconds for someone to be knocked off their feet, into the water.”

People are advised to stay in touch with the latest weather forecast and warnings on the Met Office website, and tune into local radio and TV. Those concerned by the risk of coastal flooding should call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for the latest flood warnings in their area

Devilfish
9th March, 2008, 10:48 PM
Ah well, that's not so bad.

I'm going shopping in town tomorrow so don't want to be blown about!