PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding which new sat receiver?

pudvos
31st May, 2013, 10:47 AM
Hello again,

I have yet to decide which sat receiver to buy. Downloaded the VU Ultimo Manual and reading it slowly :hmmmm2:. The box seems to be excelent and just what I'm looking for. I have an old dead TM-6900 at the moment, a Channel Master 1.2, Inverto LNB. I will be upgrading to a new dish, lnb and of course a new receiver. In the past I have managed to pick-up 30W-28.2E. Now the Dragon CAM and Card are no longer catered for I have of course lost quite a few channels, before the PSU went on the 6900. What I am asking is an honest opinion from anyone to point me in the right direction. I have looked at the Technomate linux based receivers but am a bit unsure of what to buy. With my budget of aprox ?1000 for all the new equipment any/all help appreciated. The present dish is 17 years old and if I was to strip it down and install a new polar mount and lnb, well you all know about rusty fixings, things could go t*** up.

Appreciate help,

p

septicsmurf
31st May, 2013, 12:17 PM
Do you need the extra tuners that the ultimo has or will a twin tuner suffice?
Reason I ask is that the solo2 is a real gem and has a lot more under the hood than the ultimo.
There is also the duo2 which will be released shortly which has pluggable tuners, allowing you to add a twin tuner module.

digicon
31st May, 2013, 12:36 PM
One thing is for sure i would not get rid of the Channel master 1.2 there is literally nothing on the market as good as this dish and in that i mean any of the Usual 1m dishes with diseqc motor, i would strip the Polar mount down which is easily done any parts that look beyond saving have them fabricated at a local engineering firm.

The CM will literally just need washing with a Karcher or similar and it will look as good as new, if your worried about controlling it a new Gbox is around ?30 which takes Diseqc 1.2 commands from any receiver and your good to go.

And as septicsmurf has advised if your happy with a twin tuner either the Solo2 or the Gigablue Quad are the best at the moment circa ?270-?300

Regards

gji25
13th June, 2013, 12:48 AM
go for a vu+duo cracking box for the price now. keep your dish and just change the motor to a stab