PDA

View Full Version : Hdd format on laptop running windows 7

techbabez
3rd June, 2013, 07:21 AM
I want to format my hdd on my laptop that's running windows 7 think its 32 bit, it won't let me do it as it has the os on it and I cannot find the disc I made when I first bought it as it may be with the ex hubby. I want to format as computer is running very slow can someone do me a disc please and post out and give me step by step tut as I would like to learn to do it myself instead of taking it to a company shop, I don't trust them with my information on it and never let anyone else near it.

cheers tb

03ahmads
3rd June, 2013, 08:14 AM
Before proceeding please ensure you have taken a backup of any files you require and ensure you have your Windows 7 key as you will lose everything. It's actually really simple to make your own Windows 7 Disc, visit the following link: Windows 7 Direct Download Links (http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links) to download an iso of the version and language you require as there are several, please make sure you choose the correct version, i.e Home Premium, Professional & also x86 or x64 depending on whether your laptop is 32 bit or 64 bit, if you don't know then click start>computer>right click in computer>properties. Simply use the disc burner within Windows 7 to burn the iso to a dvd-r disc (right click on the downloaded file then select burn disc image) Formatting is also really simple, you'll need to boot from the disc to format your hdd, insert your disc into your laptop whilst windows is running, then restart, there should be a dialog which says press any key to boot from cd/dvd, press a key and this will take you to your OS installation. Click on your drive, then format (may be under drive options or advanced, can't remember off the top of my head) If when you restart, your laptop continues to your operating system as normal, you will need to change the boot order in bios to make cd/dvd drive number 1, before hdd. If your unsure of anything post a reply. I'm sure there are hundreds of guides on the internet explaining all this.

lagerland
3rd June, 2013, 09:33 AM
B4 you go formatting it run a good mailware scanner and check for virsus.....................

Reapers
4th June, 2013, 07:11 PM
it might just need maintaince

registry cleaning - usually ccleaner the best http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
virus scanning -preferred virus software
malware,spyware and adware scans - use your preferred security software

there are a lot of things to point out also
what laptop is it? should say on the underneath of the laptop

is it not booting up ? does it come up with an error a blue screen ? black or just restart?

it may be more suitable to fix and then format
so you may data,documents,keys serials you need

winguggle 2.4 (shows you the product keys/serials to write down)
http://download.cnet.com/WinGuggle/3000-2094_4-10795752.html

also hold off with using a separate windows disc

some laptops have can
backup and format utilities of their own
customized windows operating systems (some don't require discs)

*another note if you just format the hard drive
you will lose any important data contained on
that drive unless it is backed up*

techbabez
4th June, 2013, 07:28 PM
I have a spare hdd but it says bootconfig missing or something when I put it in laptop it is an acer 5740 I am going to try to format this and install first before letting myself loose on my other drive. I can then back up files to this. Nothing wrong with laptop just very slow and a little old so I thought formatting it might help resolve this issue. I ain't bothered about saving anything other than office, pictures and documents. Anything else I am sure I can find later and to be honest maybe it ain't even worth saving these as its all old stuff to do with my old life ( if you know what I mean).....

techbabez
4th June, 2013, 07:32 PM
I have ran cccleaner on it and malware programme and also kaspersky shows up with nothing

cunny
4th June, 2013, 09:01 PM
What version of windows is required. You will need to set your bios (setup) to boot from cd/dvd first.

Its really easy to do. Just make sure you have any files like pics backed up before you do anything.

Chim did a guide on how to do it and its a sticky somewhere.

Also make sure you have your 25 digit key usually underneath the laptop

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

ajax2061
5th June, 2013, 06:57 AM
just a quickie, you say its going slow, have you checked that it isn't running hot the amount of laptops I see that are slow due to blocked fans etc etc is unbelievable a quick clean can get some of the missing speed back

Here's one I did last week, as you can see its got a complete covering across the heatsink and when they get this bad you really need to strip and clean it as your laptop will be getting next to no cooling