PDA

View Full Version : Is the ps3 really worth it?

The Noan
25th May, 2008, 07:23 AM
ive been debating whether to get a 360 or a ps3 for the longest time. both have gta 4 which is good. i dont have a tv that can handle hd but i really want a ps3 cuz eventually a final fantasy will be released for it. its alot of money though so im asking if yall are completely satisfied with your purchase?

thommo
25th May, 2008, 02:22 PM
me? no ive had 2, bought the 60gig, played it a few times and it sat upstairs so sold it, me being a fool i thought things might have changed so went and bought another, had it changed? no, this one sits under the tv while i play on the 360.

personal choice at the end of the day but theres nothing for me on the ps3 that will keep me from the 360,

jimbo69jones
25th May, 2008, 02:42 PM
360 can (with a little help) run backups too, which sells it for me :)

flashspac
2nd June, 2008, 09:15 PM
v happy with PS3 to date cant stop playing pro evo online!

C64
2nd June, 2008, 09:52 PM
Perfectly happy with my 360, i see no reason for swapping over to Sony any time soon.

Gueststar
5th June, 2008, 11:07 PM
Buy one. The good points
1. blue ray player. [now the only format]
2. grahics are incredible on plasma screen
3.MP3's sound incredible for a commpessed music file
4. photo player is superb[Must see it]
5. Nice simply operating system.
6.Stream all your files from laptop including videos music and photos.
7.you can use any size external hardrive has long has its formatted with FAT32 and play all media
8.BLUETOOTH remote works flawlessly on all above
9.quiet fan.
10 looks fairly good.
11. good web browser but only for browsing.
12.internet game play.

the poor points
not many really.:)

loncell
7th June, 2008, 12:59 PM
im the same thommo , looks good under the TV but doesnt 1/2 hold the dust !.

kingwolfie79
7th June, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have both (love my games), bought 360 on release, and ps3 on release, theres not much between them now, ps3 games gettin better, but xbox live is far more stable than ps3 online.

Digger
7th June, 2008, 11:09 PM
ps3 online setup is free and easier, and ps3 is wifi enabled which is cool....

C64
7th June, 2008, 11:47 PM
Buy one. The good points
1. blue ray player. [now the only format]

Totally true and I welcome the fact, now we all know which discs to buy!

2. grahics are incredible on plasma screen

Plasmas are shite - see my other thread.

But yes PS3 graphics are gorgeous, not any more gorgeous that the 360's though, but still gorgeous and this very fact has rekindled my interest in gaming at the ripe old age of 37 :)

3.MP3's sound incredible for a commpessed music file

Ermm, I should hope so!

4. photo player is superb[Must see it]

Urmm....again, I would hope so.

5. Nice simply operating system.

Your familiar with the PS3 CELL OS, ~~~~ing hell I didn't realise we had such uber 1337 programmers umongst us!!

I think what you really mean is that the GUI is nice and easy to use, it's based on the same system as the PSP which I agree is lovelly, simple and a winner.

6.Stream all your files from laptop including videos music and photos.

Again, I would hope so!!!

7.you can use any size external hardrive has long has its formatted with FAT32 and play all media

lol, again, as all the other comments you have made the 360 does this exquisitly well, it appears to be a general feature of all next-gen consoles.

8.BLUETOOTH remote works flawlessly on all above

Bluetooth, what's that? - 360 doesn't do that :)

9.quiet fan.

If a slight purr in the background annoys anyone then they really should be getting a prescription from the Doc. :)

10 looks fairly good.

No it's horrible, it looks like a Glossed George Formby Grill - UGLY!!!

the poor points

It's not hacked, has poor online play and is as ugky as ~~~~ :)

Raven
8th June, 2008, 01:07 AM
I was in a similar position to Noan in that I was deciding which console to get, but for me in the end the decision is easy, I am going to buy the PS3 for the simple fact of it will suit me personally better than the Xbox360 will.

The exclusive games on Xbox360 so far I personally don't think are that good to be honest, and I would generally much rather play MGS4 Guns of Patriots or a new Final Fantasy game for example, over say Halo 3 or Gears of War.

The console not only looks MUCH nicer than the X360 but also screams reliability and quality build by comparison.

X360 had one already and it RROD'd on me, AFAIK its still going on around the world, reliability is a massive problem for X360.

Personally I wouldn't describe myself as an online player (as opposed to thommo, we have two totally distinct gaming preferences lol) so the Xbox Live holds no sway for me personally.

And at the end of the day if I am going to spend money on a games console I want to at least know that it's been well made, looks good, and that it doesn't have any unresolved major reliability epidemics, Playstation 3 fits the bill perfectly for me.

There are reasons why the PS3 costs twice as much as an Xbox360 and they are all linked.

@ thommo, if you decide to flog urs, again, gimme a shout lol. :laugh:

The Noan
8th June, 2008, 04:36 AM
all those are valid points, i guess ive never touched one, but if i want to listen to mp3s i got my mp3 player, if i want to look at pix i got my comp, watch movies i have my laptop and such. i dont have an hd tv to truly watch a blu ray, i have nothing that is bluetooth enabled and i hate playing online. i guess what im asking is are the games anygood or are they the same games with beefed up graphics? ive got a wii and it entertains me bc it does what it is meant to do play games. sure everyone has played mario kart and zelda and metroid billions of times over but playing them a different way is why its somewhat entertaining. honestly i play my psp more than anything.

but yea i do agree with you raven i will eventually get one for final fantasy but i dont know if i should wait. my bro is talkin bout getting the mgs4 bundle so this might solve my problems.

monkeyboybing
8th June, 2008, 11:02 AM
Be prepared to lose some sleep and rumour has it its been chipped

C64
8th June, 2008, 11:23 AM
Be prepared to lose some sleep and rumour has it its been chipped

No it hasn't :)

Raven
8th June, 2008, 01:45 PM
Last I heard on the chipping thing was that any chip or workaround would probably only last until the next update from Sony. How true this is I obviously cannot say, just what I heard.

To answer Noan's question about the actual PS3 games, basically most halfway decent games that you care to mention are cross platform, except for the obvious exclusives.....and from what I have played of the PS3 exclusives (I haven't played any one game extensively due to the PS3 not being my own) I would say the games are good, and graphically speaking some of the games (such as motorstorm) you just look at and find yourself open mouthed saying the X360 cannot touch these graphics!

Keep in mind that I have only played Ridge Racer, Uncharted Drakes Fortune, Motorstorm and Resistance. All were pretty good. But the thing to remember is that PS3 has Final Fantasy, it has Metal Gear Solid, it has God of War and probably quite a few others.....to buy a X360 would really depend on how much you either enjoy playing Halo 3 or Gears of War or how much you enjoy playing online.

Noan you seem to be similar to me in that you don't play online much and that you prefer your games to have more immersion and depth when it comes to gameplay/storylines....well all I can say is it's PS3 all the way for me now.

thommo
8th June, 2008, 06:49 PM
I was in a similar position to Noan in that I was deciding which console to get, but for me in the end the decision is easy, I am going to buy the PS3 for the simple fact of it will suit me personally better than the Xbox360 will.

The exclusive games on Xbox360 so far I personally don't think are that good to be honest, and I would generally much rather play MGS4 Guns of Patriots or a new Final Fantasy game for example, over say Halo 3 or Gears of War.

The console not only looks MUCH nicer than the X360 but also screams reliability and quality build by comparison.

X360 had one already and it RROD'd on me, AFAIK its still going on around the world, reliability is a massive problem for X360.

Personally I wouldn't describe myself as an online player (as opposed to thommo, we have two totally distinct gaming preferences lol) so the Xbox Live holds no sway for me personally.

And at the end of the day if I am going to spend money on a games console I want to at least know that it's been well made, looks good, and that it doesn't have any unresolved major reliability epidemics, Playstation 3 fits the bill perfectly for me.

There are reasons why the PS3 costs twice as much as an Xbox360 and they are all linked.

@ thommo, if you decide to flog urs, again, gimme a shout lol. :laugh:

you know as well as me i think there pants even tho ive got one, bring the cash and its yours, glorified dust collector it is.

you,ve played my ps3 more than i have that shows how much im into them.

and i still say i wont listen to views from people who have not owned both consoles as they can not justify there comments, they base them on the console they own. you need to live with both to give a good honest review of which is best " for you" and not which is best full stop. there different items so you cant really compare but 360 is still head and shoudlers for me, and ive never had the red rings in the whole time ive owned one.

360 90%

ps3 10% (and thats been generous).

also the blue ray comment from someone, yeah it plays them but at a cost, i can download any film in hd format and chuck it in my 360's normal drive and watch hd for free. oh yeah .wmv format and its as good as any blueray ive watched on the ps3 so argument is docked one point on that, blueray doesnt give you something the 360 cant ;)

Raven
8th June, 2008, 10:44 PM
Nice one, I told you earlier on when I was at yours that I'm in the market for a PS3 and you are right that I've probably played your PS3 more than you have! lol.

Say what you want about people's views and their validity, and I have to say I agree somewhat that people have to have owned both consoles for the opinion to be valid....however I have owned a 360 before and you (and Violent J) know I'm not lying about the fact it RROD'd (and you know my 360 lasted exactly 1 year). My point is that I have already owned a 360 and I still try to be impartial and call it how it is, as a matter of fact. And as a matter of fact I know that for me personally the 360's reliability is a big issue and that online functionality doesn't bother me and that the PS3 will suit me more because it has the games I'd rather play when talking about the exclusive titles, which I mentioned previously.

Now all I need to do is haggle a price with you lol.

If you wanna sort it now PM me about it.

thommo
8th June, 2008, 10:50 PM
well seeing how much you like it a grand and its yours lmao...........

no i,ll sort it with you soon.

Raven
8th June, 2008, 10:52 PM
Sod off I dont like it that much I can get one brand new for about 300! lol.

Okay no probs. Let me know.......

bloodstone1964
1st August, 2008, 09:54 AM
happy with PS3 to date online play love it:elefant:

Sig-gotyouth
1st August, 2008, 06:39 PM
The PS3 is a powerhouse of technology for my standards... I absolutley love the PSN games that are available and the free online play and the remote play feature lets me taake my content with me... best thing I have ever bought

alacali1
10th August, 2008, 11:58 PM
360 can (with a little help) run backups too, which sells it for me

v896
13th August, 2008, 11:54 AM
i had the same problem but i bought a ps3 because it come with a card reader so you can view your digital cam pics on the tv when your around family in the living room it's also useful as a media center if you want to stream films from your pc anywhere around the house you don't need a HDTV unless your particluar with your graphics though they gonna drop in price for xmas if you can wait till then