PDA

View Full Version : microsoft updates knobble my router ?

melloned
29th March, 2009, 06:07 PM
:hmmmm: Has anyone had the same problem ?
I allowed microsoft update downloads , a month or so back , only to find the ethernet connection from my router to pc , disconnected immediately after and showed "limited or no connectivity" .
I then did a system restore from 2 weeks earlier and all's fine again .
My pc's running on Windows XP home edition . :hmmmm:

caveman_nige
29th March, 2009, 06:13 PM
have not heard of anybody else having this problem... Do you allow windows to download driver updates as well as the windows updates?

melloned
29th March, 2009, 07:18 PM
:cheers:Don't really know what you mean Nige ? , i'm not the brightest spark where pc's are concerned .
I just allowed the downloads to complete and restarted the pc as they advise , (as i've always done no problem) , then lost connection .
Tried it twice (same result) , so decided to system restore again and switch off auto updates , no trouble since .:hmmmm:

caveman_nige
29th March, 2009, 07:30 PM
Well some pople permit windows updat to also download drivers as well, I could just be thinking on a corporate level now.. But lets not worry about that..

Seeing as you have system restored now its not possible to see what updates you pc has taken that it does not agree with...

If you switched your auto updates back on and let XP take the updates, you could look in add/remove programs, tick the show updates box at the top, you would see the updates that have beend applied. The names of the updates are i.e. k876543. We can then look into those and see which one is the bad egg and get you to uninstall it.. You can block the particular update from then installing in the future etc.. You would then be able to continue using windows update as normal from that point onwards.

Obviously you do not need to do this now and it is purely and option and something for you to try in the future...

melloned
30th March, 2009, 01:12 AM
:hmmmm: Thanks for that Nige , I understand what you say , but am more methodical ,than "instant" with pc's ,so leave it with me for this week ,and i'll let you know how i go .
Thanks again Mate !:embarassed: