PDA

View Full Version : Open Media - Bad attempt

cevans
30th March, 2009, 07:54 PM
I have to say, the OM receiver is the worst box i have ever encountered.

The box must be powered off to switch between cable and satellite. The switch is at the back of the box.

After a while, if you plug it on and off, it will wipe the bootloader off one of the sides (i have got a few of them with the satellite bootloader wiped off - and guess what, you cant even jtag the thing and dreamup wont even recognose it - just a green light). All in all, its a bad attempt to clone the 500s into a new box. I would stay away from these if i were you.

max_gee
31st March, 2009, 02:08 AM
ive never had this problem (boot loader being wiped) why dont you send all your faulty units back to where you got them from?

and for the record, they can be jtaged as they have the solder points where a jtag would connect too.

cevans
31st March, 2009, 03:28 AM
max gee, my supplier has replaced them so many times i am embarrased of asking for a replacement. They tell me theyre crap before they sell them, and if i want to buy, i can go ahead!

Have you ever sucesfully jtagged a DM500 ? Nearly everything has jtag points but ive not ever sucesfully jtagged a dm500 nevermind an open media. dreambox jtagging is a mission

The fact is this is just a very badly designed box.

max_gee
31st March, 2009, 01:30 PM
I dont think there is much truth in what you are saying!

Yes I have jtagged many dreamboxes, only ever did 1 openmedia as the chap had installed gemini killer non clone safe image.

With any kind of JTaging, if you dont know what you are doin it can take you forever!

And with the open media, switching the swich from cab to sat rapidly, even with the power on, will not erase the bootloader, that again has been tried and tested.

If you are looking for a box with 2 tuners that work at the same time why not go for a dm 7025 @ around ?500 rrp or even better a dm 8000 @ ?900 which has all the toys!

You've probaby spent < ?100 on the open media expecting it to do everything.

In regards to returning soo many units to your supplier and your supplier actually saying its a bad box, hmm again I dont see much truth in that, why dont you say who your supplier is or even send me a pm if you dont want to post it on the forum.

cevans
31st March, 2009, 08:23 PM
max_gee, it seems like you have some kind of vested interest in these boxes and your defense mechanism seems to be kicking in.

The Open Media is a bad attempt to make a 2 tuner in 1 box using the dreambox board and 2 flashchips. This box comes nowehere near th 7020, the 8000. It really _is_ a shit box and i really wouldnt recommend anyone to buy one. this board was never designed to have 2 tuners on it, and the circuit used to switch is appalling.

Jtagging is not rocketscience, and i have tried jtagging many dm500s without much luck, mainly because they are bad quality flashchips and shit tuners

There are many other problems including streaming, lan ports dying after a while, after all, what do you expect from a clone box that you just paid <?100 for ? Its not like its backed up by Dream Multimedia or manufactured by a reputable company. we dont even know who makes these boxes!

My original point being, if you want a box with a dual tuner, buy an original dreambox. stay away from this shit.

As for your point about switching it from sat to cable rapidly, dude YOU MUST BE JOKING!! LOL, try unpowering it and powering it up quickly a few times, the bootloader will be dead in no time. How is this Tried and tested? what the hell?

but really i dont want to step on your toes, if you have some sort of vested interest in this box, good for you! hope you make good money from it.

Why do u want to know my supplier? do you think theyre selling clones? oh wait, these are clones anyway LOL

father ted
31st March, 2009, 08:32 PM
ive had one of these since they first came out ,excellent box imop have to say ok the switch is at the back ,np there just make sure your box is easy to get at ,mines running dk 1.1 and nabilosat image for sat one i ironed a few things out with my dish never looked back would have another one if anything went wrong with this one and i think ive had mine a year now

Bulld0g
31st March, 2009, 08:35 PM
You using it for cable too Ted. I have been looking into this box and by all accounts it seems like a good box. Interested to hear other people comments on this box who've had it for a while.

cevans
31st March, 2009, 08:40 PM
I really find it hard to believe that people did not have any problems with this box.

Would be nice to see a few unbiased opinions.

wiz569
31st March, 2009, 08:41 PM
I have had mine about 8 months and never a problem with it,only use it for cable but i do like to try every image out there including testing my own attempt at image compiling so would have unpluged-repluged quickly many times and no problems,imho its a great little box for the money and has a very good tuner.

Bulld0g
31st March, 2009, 08:42 PM
Well i can't see people lying m8 and saying it's good if it's crap and vice versa. Lets hope we get some reviews though.

cevans
31st March, 2009, 08:46 PM
lets hope so bulld0g ;o

I dont mind open honest opinions, but most of these places are dominated by sellers trying to offload their stuff ;)

I find, particularly the satellite side, it gets wiped, and when you switch it on, it has the green light with no display (dead bootloader) and doesnt connect with dreamup, have had this on a few, so thats why i hate them.

And the sat tuner does not pickup high frequencies, have to do a manual transponder scan - which doesnt lock most of the time, but sometimes it does.

Bulld0g
31st March, 2009, 08:49 PM
Thats honestly not the case in here m8 with traders. Certainly appreciate your input though and look forward to more opinions.

aftermath
31st March, 2009, 08:55 PM
my first sat box was one of these, and for what you pay its a good little box, i was one of the first to get one and the box had a little bug on the sat side, the dealer was quick to replace it with a modified one that worked fine.

Yes the switch on the back is not ideal, but apart from that i cant see what the problem is.

I only got rid of mine as i went for one with recording options ( hard drive inside ).

but like i said for roughly ?100 what more do you expect.

Devilfish
31st March, 2009, 09:03 PM
I have had an open media since they first came out. It is my no means an all singing, all dancing receiver and it was never intended to be one, what do you expect for ?110?

I have never experienced the problems you have described. I do A LOT of flashing, flicking back and forth between cable and sat, testing things, etc., yes it's hung a few times but so has my Dm500c.

And no, I don't have any vested interest in this receiver and I don't allow traders to advertise their shops/boxes on the forum either. If myself or the mods see this, it's removed.

I appreciate you taking the time to voice your experiences, that's what the board is all about. But you seem to be 100% against the receiver even with other positive comments about it and probably no matter what anyone else says, you won't change your mind.

I've had a starview and a digivox - I absolutely hated them, I think everything about them is wrong. But I know there are loads of people who love them...that's life...each to their own.

cevans
31st March, 2009, 09:17 PM
sorry if i seem to hate them devilfish, my resent for these devices comes from my experience with a few that i have dealt with.

I really dont like the idea of clone dreamboxes tbh, theyre nowhere near the the quality and strength of the real things.

Again it is only my personal experience,..

SatSearching
31st March, 2009, 10:17 PM
And although I have been against clone boxes in the past, I have to admit that I bought a clone 500 and it is spot on, great little box and better quality than an origional.

SS

ryan8188
2nd April, 2009, 09:49 PM
Iv also had one of these since they have come out and used it for both cable and sat and as it was my 1st box for the sat side it had a lot of abuse lol as i played about with it loads and tryed different things on it.

I have to say its a great box and would recomend it to anyone. I mean dont get me wrong there are better ones but this comes top of the league compaired to others of similar prices.

Bulld0g
2nd April, 2009, 09:52 PM
Upto now Cevans, looks like, your in a minority of one. Anymore reviews welcome guys :)

.: JaCkPoT :.
4th April, 2009, 12:10 PM
Maybe your dealer is full of really badly constructed boxes..why not ask for a refund and buy of someone else?

thedon2211
4th April, 2009, 04:42 PM
ive had one of these boxes since they came out and had no problems at all!
you can`t beat this box for the price, it does all i need and the tuner has been better than any standard 500 ive had (copy or original) as for images, iv`e changed the image loads of times switched from cable to sat and had no problems.
the only thing iv`e not done is play football with it. lol.
if you want all singing and dancing go and pay stupid money, if you want good reliable at the right price then here is your box. ps i don`t have anything to do with company either..

bog1
6th April, 2009, 05:20 AM
sorry if i seem to hate them devilfish, my resent for these devices comes from my experience with a few that i have dealt with.

I really dont like the idea of clone dreamboxes tbh, theyre nowhere near the the quality and strength of the real things.

Again it is only my personal experience,..

o,o why the hell did you buy it if you dont like idea of clone box`s. go buy a over pace dm box. all so dm500c&s has bad tuners clone box`s have a beter tuner then dm.and larst it is useley the end user that f**k`s the box up as they dont know what they are doing all so you say you sent them back and the replacement ones whent t*t`s up too ? all so ware did you get them from you seem to live this bit out send them back and get them from some ware ells.and why the hell is the seller. selling them if he thinks ther no good. sunds like to me your talking out of your behind. yes box`s go whong but iv never hard of that meny go wong the same time all so has the seller had a big retun on them and if so wht is he not sorting the problam out?

SatSearching
6th April, 2009, 06:53 PM
Yup, cost of genuine boxes is a big issue! Dream claim it is due to research costs. I don't understand that when a lot of clever guys out there are doing image work for them free as a hobby!

I personally think Dream Multimedia are a bit greedy.

Check out the link below, appols if posted before, but I am told this is the DM head office, check out the staff cars, or try to as an "accident" happened there or they seriously upset someone!!!!....

YouTube - dmm

bog1
6th April, 2009, 08:12 PM
Yup, cost of genuine boxes is a big issue! Dream claim it is due to research costs. I don't understand that when a lot of clever guys out there are doing image work for them free as a hobby!

I personally think Dream Multimedia are a bit greedy.

Check out the link below, appols if posted before, but I am told this is the DM head office, check out the staff cars, or try to as an "accident" happened there or they seriously upset someone!!!!....

YouTube - dmm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAZ39ZJiW9E)that looks like asson o,o they must of upset some one reley bad lol

DJSimo
6th April, 2009, 09:27 PM
Ive had my OpenMedia 500cs for about 7months now, and apart from the odd occasional problems, all software related and nothing to do with the Hardware its been a great box.

having owned the dreambox 7000 before, it is just as good and now after lots of software changes it is running very stable with var moved to PC Recording to HD via LAN and set up for CS on satellite and AU on Cable.

For a box that cost me ?99 delivered I think it is excellent compared to the DM 7000 that cost double the price.

But even original Dreamboxes can have problems, i have heard of many genuine 800s being sent back as faulty.

yamar1
10th April, 2009, 08:48 PM
heard good and bad about these,, had mine around 7-8 months, after a few teething problems (my fault) i have to say its been faultless, yet to try the sat side, but the reason i went for it was when it all goes tits up at least il still be able to use it for sat,, when i get a dish!, all in all for a ?100 what do you want?