PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Virgin Media digi-box warning after Nelson home raided

Jasmeet_87
31st March, 2009, 06:27 AM
Police are warning people in Burnley, Pendle and the Ribble Valley to be aware of illegal digital TV set-top boxes being sold in the area after a number of items, used for the illegal use of and receiving of Virgin Media products, were discovered at a house in Nelson following a successful operation with Virgin Media.

Following the warrant at the address in Westmorland Street, one man is now being investigated by police.

PC Mark Wilcock from Nelson Police said: "This operation demonstrates our commitment to taking firm action against anyone suspected of illegally benefiting from the proceeds of crime and we will continue to work with organisations such as Virgin Media in future.

"People should be reminded that using set-top boxes that have been illegally modified to receive digital TV subscription channels are committing a criminal offence. Anyone receiving these channels and making no payment to the media company is at risk of being prosecuted."

Malcolm Davies, Virgin Media's head of fraud and security, said: "This should act as a serious warning to others to steer clear of this type of crime. We take this matter extremely seriously and will continue to work closely with all the police forces throughout the UK to prosecute individuals connected with this type of TV fraud."

Illegal Virgin Media digi-box warning after Nelson home raided - Burnley Express (http://www.burnleyexpress.net/burnleynews/Illegal-Virgin-Media-digibox-warning.5122524.jp)

maxi1968
31st March, 2009, 10:01 AM
:call:who is supplying them with information.have the police not got more serious crimes to investigate.:questionmark:
Police are warning people in Burnley, Pendle and the Ribble Valley to be aware of illegal digital TV set-top boxes being sold in the area after a number of items, used for the illegal use of and receiving of Virgin Media products, were discovered at a house in Nelson following a successful operation with Virgin Media.

Following the warrant at the address in Westmorland Street, one man is now being investigated by police.

PC Mark Wilcock from Nelson Police said: "This operation demonstrates our commitment to taking firm action against anyone suspected of illegally benefiting from the proceeds of crime and we will continue to work with organisations such as Virgin Media in future.

"People should be reminded that using set-top boxes that have been illegally modified to receive digital TV subscription channels are committing a criminal offence. Anyone receiving these channels and making no payment to the media company is at risk of being prosecuted."

Malcolm Davies, Virgin Media's head of fraud and security, said: "This should act as a serious warning to others to steer clear of this type of crime. We take this matter extremely seriously and will continue to work closely with all the police forces throughout the UK to prosecute individuals connected with this type of TV fraud."

Illegal Virgin Media digi-box warning after Nelson home raided - Burnley Express (http://www.burnleyexpress.net/burnleynews/Illegal-Virgin-Media-digibox-warning.5122524.jp)

Bulld0g
31st March, 2009, 10:06 AM
So now you know. Take the minimum package and your ok :roflmao:

lfc4life
31st March, 2009, 10:38 AM
So now you know. Take the minimum package and your ok :roflmao:

shhhh like me too lol :p lol

alunfennell
31st March, 2009, 10:42 AM
who is supplying them with information.have the police not got more serious crimes to investigate.

Its been long rumored that certain online shops in the UK leak there customers detail, also if the products are been bought outside the UK HM Revenue & Customs can track back the order, in large enough quantys this could also be a method providers use to find the retails of such devices.

But the biggest treat to anyone operating such a business is that neighbours or so called friends become curious and jelious of the fact that you can make good money from breaking the law.

In some cases it down to the simple fact that receivers a lot of the time are stolen when houses are broken into and fenced off to people who do this for a living they are normaly know to the police anyway, armed with a search warrent it could be easy to find large numbers of receivers in one place.

Regards:
Alun

firemouth
31st March, 2009, 11:30 AM
who is supplying them with information.have the police not got more serious crimes to investigate.

Its been long rumored that certain online shops in the UK leak there customers detail, also if the products are been bought outside the UK HM Revenue & Customs can track back the order, in large enough quantys this could also be a method providers use to find the retails of such devices.

But the biggest treat to anyone operating such a business is that neighbours or so called friends become curious and jelious of the fact that you can make good money from breaking the law.

In some cases it down to the simple fact that receivers a lot of the time are stolen when houses are broken into and fenced off to people who do this for a living they are normaly know to the police anyway, armed with a search warrent it could be easy to find large numbers of receivers in one place.

Regards:
Alun
How are people getting caught? they get "grassed" up. this is one of the reasons i would never do a "box" for anyone but me. i know several people who have had the dreaded "knock". in each case it was, either a friend of someone who had bought one, or a, self-righteous (some would say law abiding) member of their family, that had reported it. I have yet to find one, that's not to say there isn't one, case where Vermin did the work themselves.

tarikcno
31st March, 2009, 11:37 AM
"So now you know. Take the minimum package and your ok

How about having just the internet and phone but no Tv Package?

alunfennell
31st March, 2009, 12:01 PM
How are people getting caught? they get "grassed" up. this is one of the reasons i would never do a "box" for anyone but me. i know several people who have had the dreaded "knock". in each case it was, either a friend of someone who had bought one, or a, self-righteous (some would say law abiding) member of their family, that had reported it. I have yet to find one, that's not to say there isn't one, case where Vermin did the work themselves.

Very true firemouth but most get caught because of stolen receivers they are known to handel stolen goods or are caught in possesion of stolen goods, most stolen receivers get fenced off to people that do this commericialy.

Unlike you or I who might do this for our family and friends and we may also pay for the basic subscription, if your are caught by Virgin with a stolen receiver in your home its not surprising that the these commericial pirates will be caught...

There will be plenty of people to grass you out when you find that your receiver under the telly is stolen and there is a Rep from Virgin & a police officer standing in your livingroom.....

cantona7
31st March, 2009, 06:26 PM
OMG there are illegal boxes out there!!lol

cmon they aint after the little men they want the dealers and thieves who make lots of money from it !!