PDA

View Full Version : FREESAT ON NORTHERN TV

lub006
3rd April, 2009, 12:02 PM
I recently purchased a Samsung 32" TV from the North of Ireland. I live in the south of Ireland... I'm reading that the built in Digital Box has a MPEG2 decoder, which is grand in the UK Region, but the Irish Channels (RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4) Are all under Mpeg4 Decoder... and when scanned into the Digital TV, I have sound, but no picture.....

Is there a possible way around this or is there a Portable MPEG4 decoder I could purchase, to view these channels.... Cheers in advance lads.

ms09
8th April, 2009, 05:06 PM
Can you buy digital TV set top boxes in the RoI? Your UK standard HDTV will have an integral Freeview digital tuner and that is MPeg2.

You have the same problem as most of the UK faced years ago when we all had analogue TV's and digital terrestrial TV came along. This resulted in many cheap Freeview digital boxes becoming available that simply were connected to the antenna and then fed the TV with a SCART lead. Maybe for MPeg4 you would need an HDMI lead if it's HDTV.

Another possible solution is to use the CI interface in your TV and buy a CAM (Conditional Access Module) that handles MPeg4. However that might be an expensive option.