PDA

View Full Version : Lost grub after reinstalling windows?

Devilfish
6th April, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'm sure someone will know this...

I had dual boot Ubuntu 7 and Windows XP. I reinstalled XP and now I've lost the grub boot screen. I've googled it and there's quite a few ways to get it back and they all seem longwinded.

Does anyone know a simple way to get it back?

Thanks! :)

Mjolinor
27th April, 2009, 12:08 PM
Late reply

If you haven't sorted it then google "grub 4 dos" and try that, if you have any problems post again.

Its really easy with grub for dos, no need to mess with the MBR, it's all done from the WIndo$e partition.

belfast
11th July, 2009, 12:10 PM
try this ..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

kari
9th October, 2009, 10:55 PM
I'm sure someone will know this...

I had dual boot Ubuntu 7 and Windows XP. I reinstalled XP and now I've lost the grub boot screen. I've googled it and there's quite a few ways to get it back and they all seem longwinded.

Does anyone know a simple way to get it back?

Thanks! :)

simple way to get it back is use super grub disk you find it here
Super Grub Disk Helps Linux Newbies Fix The GRUB (Boot) ~ Web Upd8 (http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/08/super-grub-disk-helps-linux-newbies-fix.html)

kari
17th November, 2009, 11:53 PM
If you don't have or can't get super grub disk use this
1) Boot off the LiveCD

2) Open a Terminal and type in the following commands, noting that the first command will put you into the grub “prompt”, and the next 3 commands will be executed there. Also note that hd0,0 implies the first hard drive and the first partition on that drive, which is where you probably installed grub to during installation. If not, then adjust accordingly.

sudo grub

> root (hd0,0)

> setup (hd0)

> exit

Reboot (removing the livecd), and your boot menu should be back.

Only read below if Windows is now missing from the boot menu

If you installed Ubuntu before you installed Windows, then Ubuntu will not have anything in the grub configuration for Windows. This is where you’ll have to do a bit of manual editing to the grub boot menu file.

If you open the file /boot/grub/menu.lst with the following command:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

You’ll see a sample section for Windows, which you’ll want to uncomment and add to the boot menu list in whatever position you want it in. (uncomment by removing the #’s)

# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1

Note that you should also verify that hd0,0 is the correct location for Windows. If you had installed Windows on the 4th partition on the drive, then you should change it to (hd0,3)

grizzlyt
18th November, 2009, 02:16 AM
You can easily download Partedmagic with Unetbootin then install it on a USB Stick.

There are all utilities that you need on it.

Latest release yesterday: version 4.6