PDA

View Full Version : Skybox F3 tuner issues

deanlecky
5th August, 2013, 11:44 AM
I set up a skybox for a mate and its been working fine until about 2 weeks ago, his signal strength is well below 20% so no viewing whatsoever, all other aspects are working fine, we tried his genuine slybox and its picking up the freeview channels etc, so no issue with the dish having moved or anything like that.

So I guess it must be the tuner that has given up? I contacted the seller on ebay whom I bought it from 3 months ago and he said that the firmware could be corrupted and I need to use the null modem cable to reflash the box, but I don't understand how it would have worked previously and suddenly became corrupted? I haven't upgraded the firmware.

Has anyone any experience of this?

digicon
5th August, 2013, 12:45 PM
Is your friend by chance also using the official $ly receiver on the same LNB as this causes issues, If not and the Signal quality has dropped then its either 2 things the Box itself or the LNB amp may have gone

deanlecky
5th August, 2013, 02:11 PM
No its only the skybox on the LNB, I'm gonna go around this week with my own skybox and see if it works. So that will eliminate a few scenarios.
I had thought that maybe the dish needs realigned slightly but as the official receiver worked this is not the case, ( or would it be the case it has much superior tuner and would anyway with slight misalignment? )

souldude
5th August, 2013, 02:45 PM
How old is the sky dish. I've had issues with old LNB's and changed them to the new 4 way lnb and picked up all HD channels when done this

deanlecky
5th August, 2013, 03:06 PM
no idea, will have a good look around when I visit him this week.

Hadron
5th August, 2013, 04:06 PM
Had your mate been playing around with any of the menu settings?

Perhaps check that the LNB frequency is set to Universal (9750-10600), and that the LNB voltage is switched to ON.

deanlecky
21st August, 2013, 10:47 PM
Back on this again, OK went around to check his box, no signal at all, no sharing lnb with genuine receiver either, everything else re network is fine. Brought home box and tested on my setup, still no signal on any channels, tuner must be dead?

deanlecky
22nd August, 2013, 09:37 AM
Ok so gonna try a reflash and see what happens...:nurse:

deanlecky
22nd August, 2013, 06:18 PM
Reflashed with a firmware version that runs on my own box so I know it works. New channel list loaded but still no signal, or any sign of signal being indicated on percentage bars.
I cannot return to seller as I have lost invoice!
Short of binning it what else could I try? Anyone?

DW190
23rd August, 2013, 12:26 AM
I cannot return to seller as I have lost invoice!

You bought it on ebay and will have records. Dont be fobbed of with the no invoice just order another and send the duff one back.

Hadron
23rd August, 2013, 01:04 AM
It could be due to a similar problem that affects some S9, 10, & 11 boxes.

F1 (resettable fuse) goes high resistance, or open circuit causing problems with the tuner.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f184/no-signal-fix-openboxs-s9-s10-s11-316356/

However, as mentioned above, as the box is only a few months old, it is probably best to try & sort something out with the supplier.

deanlecky
23rd August, 2013, 09:42 AM
That's interesting Hadron thanks for the link, if I don't get it resolved with the seller then I may give that a go.
Would it just be a simple task of removing the old component and soldering in a new one, or what precautions/methods would be required?

Hadron
25th August, 2013, 04:39 PM
That's interesting Hadron thanks for the link, if I don't get it resolved with the seller then I may give that a go.
Would it just be a simple task of removing the old component and soldering in a new one, or what precautions/methods would be required?

Yep. I have changed one myself.

If you want to make a neat job of it, then the main board needs to be removed so that you can get to the solder side & completely remove it.

I changed mine by the "quick & dirty" method. I snipped off the component, leaving as much of the leads showing as possible. Then soldered the new component to the 2 leads.

As you can see by the posts in that thread, you can check if F1 is the actual cause of your problem by twisting the leads of the component together to see if that cures it.

deanlecky
26th August, 2013, 02:32 PM
OK I've opened the box to have a look, the thermistor is situated in close proximity of the tuner and another component which has what I presume to be a heatsink attached to it. Problem is I can't even twist it as no room to manoeuvre it.

So have threaded some 5a fuse wire around the legs but this has done nothing to bring back signal either....maybe not the problem?

Hadron
27th August, 2013, 01:07 AM
OK I've opened the box to have a look, the thermistor is situated in close proximity of the tuner and another component which has what I presume to be a heatsink attached to it. Problem is I can't even twist it as no room to manoeuvre it.

So have threaded some 5a fuse wire around the legs but this has done nothing to bring back signal either....maybe not the problem?

If shorting out F1 hasn't cured the fault then, as you say, it looks like that component isn't causing the problem.

deanlecky
29th August, 2013, 02:20 PM
After some email correspondence the seller (full credit to them as I have lost sales invoice as per their returns conditions) has agreed to take back the box to test it, So it will be interesting to see what they think is the problem, and hopefully fix it! The story continues....

DW190
29th August, 2013, 02:24 PM
After some email correspondence the seller (full credit to them as I have lost sales invoice as per their returns conditions) has agreed to take back the box to test it, So it will be interesting to see what they think is the problem, and hopefully fix it! The story continues....

Make sure its returned with signed for delivery. Its cheap from collect + and My Hermes

deanlecky
29th August, 2013, 03:22 PM
Make sure its returned with signed for delivery. Its cheap from collect + and My Hermes

Yes tracked next day delivery, its a reputable enough seller on ebay for these boxes IMO so will see how it goes.

deanlecky
2nd September, 2013, 04:56 PM
So turns out the seller won't even test the box and see what is wrong with it because the warranty seal is broken, I haven't asked them for a replacement box I just wanted this one fixed again, just wasted my time and money in returning the box. :guns:

DW190
2nd September, 2013, 05:04 PM
So turns out the seller won't even test the box and see what is wrong with it because the warranty seal is broken, I haven't asked them for a replacement box I just wanted this one fixed again, just wasted my time and money in returning the box. :guns:

If thats how he chooses to deal with it you could name the seller so others will be aware.

deanlecky
7th September, 2013, 05:02 PM
Well I didn't really want to name and shame, however after requesting they post me back the box I've had no reply, pure nightmare thus has become. Seller is Kkyawswar.

Ginge9570
8th September, 2013, 12:25 PM
something else to consider. These units sometimes over power the LNB. There are inline filters you can buy on Amazon for ?2 or ?3 they cure the problem. Regards

deanlecky
8th September, 2013, 01:19 PM
Would you have a link for these can't find them?

Hadron
8th September, 2013, 03:47 PM
something else to consider. These units sometimes over power the LNB. There are inline filters you can buy on Amazon for ?2 or ?3 they cure the problem. Regards

The LNB voltage problem usually only affects vertical channels when the box is used on the same LNB as another box.

The fix is a diode in line with the LNB cable.

I haven't seen these on Amazon yet.