PDA

View Full Version : Minimum broadband requirements for smooth F5 operation

martyg1979
9th August, 2013, 09:44 AM
Hi all,
Got a new F5 but channels freeze approx every ten mins for a couple of seconds.
My set up is through an ethernet cable via homeplugs via a 3g usb wirelesss router.
I fear my broadband connection may be too slow or fluctuates.
I tested my set up on a skybox m3 and it worked a whole lot better so might swap boxes with my mate as he has much faster broadband than me.
My question is.....does an F5 have greater internet reuiremnts than an M3???
Thanks
M

digicon
9th August, 2013, 11:42 AM
Before you do anything the best test to do for your internet is first switch off your router from the mains and leave a couple of minutes then switch back on and let the router refresh the connection at the exchange.

Then do a Ping test through one of the many popular ping test websites and see what your ping test comes back as, you should be looking for something under realistically around 70ms although under 100ms will do but you could still receive problems

thanidar
9th August, 2013, 12:02 PM
hi is sounds like you have a similar set to me what ive found that if you have your computer on at the same time through the same router and you have a radio stations on your pc[volume down] it works a lot better.phone data thats what a dongle runs on is different than normal broadband.with the radio on from the same router its asking for the signal constantly.try and see how it is.it could even be your server.hope this helps

digicon
9th August, 2013, 12:09 PM
Apologies i read this wrong the first time especially the 3G Dongle Part but my initial idea still stands do a ping test as i know other people have them working on dongles absolutely fine. You would of course be also better to take the advice from thanidar and also just try the Box by itself through the 3G router

genam
10th August, 2013, 08:30 PM
if you can ... do a ping test of the F5's internet connection.
I had random problems with my Sky broadband and discovered the standard MTU of 1500 or 1492 where far too high for sustained reliable glitch free picture...dropped it to 1450 and now i can download flat out and still get clear TV.

tgvirus99
10th August, 2013, 10:20 PM
genam this sounds like its worth looking into as Im also having issues with glitch scram channels could you please explain a little more about how you did this? Thanks

evoy2k2
10th August, 2013, 10:22 PM
Im getting a similar problem, picture freezes and scrambled sign appears but for a few seconds and goes out of sync occasionally. Is this down to internet connection ?
Any way i could resolve this ??

martyg1979
12th August, 2013, 01:52 PM
hi is sounds like you have a similar set to me what ive found that if you have your computer on at the same time through the same router and you have a radio stations on your pc[volume down] it works a lot better.phone data thats what a dongle runs on is different than normal broadband.with the radio on from the same router its asking for the signal constantly.try and see how it is.it could even be your server.hope this helps

Tried it over the wknd whilst running online radio as you suggested and it certainly helps, thanks. Its still not perfect and watching movies is a bit of a pain. I can still try digicons recommendation of connecting wireless router directly to F5 and hopefully that will help as well. I really only use it for sports anyway and those channles are certainly very watchable. Will let you know how I get on in future