PDA

View Full Version : PROBELM WITH FREIGHTLINER TRUCK-CLASS 8

mathura
10th August, 2013, 04:38 PM
I hooked the Freightliner service link to a freightliner tanker yesterday and found fault code with the ICU module- icu140 spi 168 fmi 1.( low voltage detected at ICU(instrument cluster unit). However I tested the voltage before cranking 12.7V while cranking 10.5V after cranking 12.6V.

The engine is not starting but when I hooked insite I found no faults detected in ecm

My question can this fault code prevent the engine from not starting

ANYONE WITH AN ELECTRICAL SCHEMATIC FOR THIS TRUCK

Thanks

Schoolbus Tech
11th August, 2013, 02:36 AM
Try this if see if you can access this https://secure.freightliner.com/accessfreightliner/docs/public/m2bodybuilder/general/EPA2010ElectricalModels-M2106-M2112-108SD-114SD.pdf I think I have it somewhere zipped up . Just thought this would be quicker for you Need to know what engine and what yr please I have lots of MBE and cummins diagrams ICU 3 diagrams https://secure.freightliner.com/accessfreightliner/misc/public/m2bodybuilder/default.asppage=wiring&section=030Instrument I you need more things for future reference https://secure.freightliner.com/accessfreightliner/misc/public/m2bodybuilder/default.asp?page=wiring

Schoolbus Tech
11th August, 2013, 03:18 AM
This has a lot in this for the ICU4. Hope this helps just PM me if you need more . I don't think a problem in the ICU will keep it from starting but the problems might be linked . You have checked ignition fuses . Just cause the fuses is not blown does not mean voltage is flowing darn cheap plastic PDM modules when they get hot and worn the fuse sockets spread apart . Had 3 months ago would stall and sometimes not start 4 people before me looked at it over a period of 2 months I was messing with the ignition switch got it to screwup and it worked everytime afterwards so I played with the switch again and it screwed up again replaced it seems to be working great .

mathura
11th August, 2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks Schoolbus Tech

It is a 2010 model non-Cascadia Freightliner Truck with Cummins ISM engine, I had written down the vin but right now I cannot locate where I left that piece of paper.
I feel that the fault code 140 168 could not prevent the engine from starting because I have tested voltage at engine ecm while cranking and I am getting 10.5V, however this truck is under warranty and the owners would not allow me to do what I want.

The are talking with the Freight liner representatives and as such only what they instruct I can do. When I questioned the rep why the fault count(2147 times) is so high for this fault he did not give me a straight answer. he said we probably were trying to start the engine that many times. I told him that this truck was working with this fault existing

hercamp
11th August, 2013, 04:47 PM
i have same problem with couple of them, you can try a little test i do while the engine is cracking ,shake the key . i had to replace the key switch in 2 of them .maybe this can help you.

mathura
12th August, 2013, 01:24 AM
i have same problem with couple of them, you can try a little test i do while the engine is cracking ,shake the key . i had to replace the key switch in 2 of them .maybe this can help you.

Very unusual but I think I will try what you experienced

Thanks

Roy Suryadwiananda
12th August, 2013, 03:52 AM
Maybe the Batteray Terminals loose, can cause low voltage or there is a problem with the fuses ?, also check the Starter Relay Coil resistant.

Schoolbus Tech
13th August, 2013, 12:17 AM
Hey mathura let us know what you find .

hercamp
14th August, 2013, 05:57 AM
this week one of them on shop. ign relay fail , and mayke it not start . try to check the ignition v , on ecm and the supply from ign relay.

RAULIN
14th August, 2013, 09:41 AM
hi guys by the pdm inside of cab is 2 power relay they are biger than the rest one is for the ignition and the other is starter they go bad a lot,check on fuel pump the fuel shut of solenoid for 12 volt they go in short to.

mathura
1st September, 2013, 01:59 PM
UPDATE
The Freightliner agent came to work on the truck and after working on it a whole day they could not clear the code, so they requested that I attend the job in their presence, with insite software.

They wanted me to check the power points on the engine ecm which I did and they were convinced that it was not a power issue with the engine.
After I hooked insite and started data monitor I realized that engine was not seeing cranking RPM. I then checked resistance of engine position sensor and it was within specs.
I decided to remove it and discovered it was damaged at the tip, replaced sensor and engine stared.

The Freightliner agent then told the company officials that I have their permission to work on these trucks anytime while under warranty.

mathura
1st September, 2013, 02:02 PM
UPDATE
The Freightliner agent came to work on the truck and after working on it a whole day they could not clear the code or get the engine to run so they requested that I attend the job in their presence, with insite software.

They wanted me to check the power points on the engine ecm which I did and they were convinced that it was not a power issue with the engine.
After I hooked insite and started data monitor I realized that engine was not seeing cranking RPM. I then checked resistance of engine position sensor and it was within specs.
I decided to remove it and discovered it was damaged at the tip, replaced sensor and engine stared.

The Freightliner agent then told the company officials that I have their permission to work on these trucks anytime while under warranty.

mathura
1st September, 2013, 02:03 PM
UPDATE
Don't know how I ended up posting twice