PDA

View Full Version : increase download speed??

EVERS666
23rd April, 2009, 02:44 PM
i have been looking arround and found that you can increase your download speeds on utorrent? i have a 20mbit broardband already, just wanted to know dose this realy work and is it worth it?

thanx......

jckw
23rd April, 2009, 02:48 PM
i have been looking arround and found that you can increase your download speeds on utorrent? i have a 20mbit broardband already, just wanted to know dose this realy work and is it worth it?

thanx......it wont increase ur download speed 20 mb is fast any way its how much the other people on fileshare sit allow to be uploaded

ricky_uk1
23rd April, 2009, 04:30 PM

thanx......

lol some people are never happy :roflmao:

billy2
23rd April, 2009, 09:52 PM
i have a 20mbit broardband already

count your self lucky m8 all i can get is 3 mb on a good day

chroma
27th April, 2009, 12:34 AM
you can increase your speeds by limiting your bandwidth.

TCP/IP in completely oversimplified terms.

your computer sends out a packet to another computer asking if theres anyone home and waits.
that computer sends one back saying im here and ready to recieve more then waits.
your computer then sends a packet with data in it and waits.
The other computer checks the contents and sends a reply back saying "everythings fine send me another bit" or "wtf are these moonrunes supposed to mean? please send me it again in english this time" then waits.
these exchanges continue till the transfer is complete.

All this communication is generaly called "protocol overhead" meaning that bandwidth will be used just to keep a connection alive and well.

now by uploading your full amount you saturate you connection to the point where the protocol takes a back seat and struggles to push out "yeah stuff in that one was ok send another" messages so the other computer is left hanging for a response before it can send another so your download will slow to a crawl untill theres more bandwidth available for the protocol to do its job effectively.

Now a tracker works against that, it will only allow connections to speed u if your uploading, the faster you upload the faster the tracker will allow you to download from it.

So the trick is to fond the sweet spot where you can upload enough to keep the tracker reasonably happy, yet not enough where you wind up saturating your connection.

so figure out your upload speed and guestimate limiting your up speed ot around 80% of that, then slowly increase and decrease till you find the sweetspot.

stringy09
27th April, 2009, 01:48 PM
I have 20MB virgin broadband aswell and all i did was use the speed guide within utorrent to set the speeds automatically then change max number of connections per torrent from 125 to 250.

As long as there is enough seeds i constantly get around 800kbps to 1.1mbps, it never goes any higher than this though.

EVERS666
27th April, 2009, 11:23 PM
i have been reading up on portforwarding for utorrent, but not quit sure that i understand it, can any1 explain this in a non tech way?

also do i need to do this to get better results on utorrent, and is there an easyer way to do it than explained on utorrent?

just to let people know when i am downloading i get a red circle at the bottom/center of the screen with a explanation mark inside it, saying not connected bla, bla,bla. is this down to the portforwarding?

thanx..

chroma
28th April, 2009, 12:29 AM
i have been reading up on portforwarding for utorrent, but not quit sure that i understand it, can any1 explain this in a non tech way?

also do i need to do this to get better results on utorrent, and is there an easyer way to do it than explained on utorrent?

just to let people know when i am downloading i get a red circle at the bottom/center of the screen with a explanation mark inside it, saying not connected bla, bla,bla. is this down to the portforwarding?

thanx..

Most likely down to portforwarding, it could also be a firewall issue though.

ports explained.
your operating system runs various network thingies, as do your programs.
these programs and applications all run on different "ports" to keep things sane. theyre almost like file extensions in a way.
for instance port 8080 is the HTTP protocol, or "hypertext transfer protocol" its used by web browsers and the like to display webpages.
For your email you use port 110 (POP3/ post office protocol 3)
port 25 is used for Telnet etc, etc.

So for every program theres a port assigned to it to handle its network stuff, a packet gets sent with not only your IP address but a port number so that the computer knows what to do with it. email data is different from say torrent data (bittorrents default was 6669 back pefore randomisation due to ISP's blocking this port off) so if there was no ports your email program would try to open and use the data in a torrent packet, or a webpage packet etc and things would all get a bit messy, the same as trying to open everything on your PC with notepad.

Port forwarding is just another layer that deals with how packets are routed. a router keeps a table of ports and links those to ip addresses on your local network. it would be pointless and a complete waste of bandwidth to send each packet to every computer on your network, so it checks the port address of a packet and forwards that packet to the appropriate computer.
If you dont forward the ports you use on each computer to your router then it effectively has no idea where to send the data around your network.

How to easily forward ports without getting into too much of a headache:
Enable UPnP (or Universal Plug and Play) on programs which support it and on your router (most modern home routers support UPnP and there will likely be an option to use it somewhere in the config pages.

This configures things automaticaly and is the only real way to run bittorrent with randomised ports, otherwise EVERYTIME you restart bittorent you will need to manualy configure your ports all over again to different numbers.

PirateLogan
29th April, 2009, 01:15 AM
I have 20MB virgin broadband aswell and all i did was use the speed guide within utorrent to set the speeds automatically then change max number of connections per torrent from 125 to 250.

As long as there is enough seeds i constantly get around 800kbps to 1.1mbps, it never goes any higher than this though.

Ditto, the 20mb doesn't help really on torrent downloads because you need the people to seed at a higher upload rate... But the massive advantage of 20mb is that if there are a few people on the network (we have 6pc's streaming/downloading/browsing at anyone time)...for the download speed to be faster you can sign up to and pay for a dedicated server like News Rover (i may be wrong about this though :top:)

Hope this helps...

cunny
29th April, 2009, 06:01 AM
If you want full speeds on torrents you will need private trackers (Usually paid for) or use a usenet connection, Virgin use their own but limited also with approx 5 days retention.

I have a usenet connection and download @ 18.5-19.5 Mbps on a 20Mbps Virgin connection.