PDA

View Full Version : Multi LNB signal difference

maffster
18th August, 2013, 02:44 PM
I'm attempting my first foray into multi lnbs, will eventually have 28.2, 19.2 and 13 on the same dish. so my question ,the signal quality on 19.2e which the 60 cm dish is set for is around 64% . the offset lnb for hotbird at 13' shows around 42% quality. would i expect to see a 20 per cent difference between the two or do i need to reset the hotbird lnb. if that is the expected difference then i guess a bigger dish will boost the hotbird signal?

digicon
18th August, 2013, 03:26 PM
depends which transponders you are using to gauge the signal quality, what i will tell you is the 60 will be fine for 19.2 & 28.2 but in heavy rain you will lose most of the hotbird ones, An 80cm is more efficient and will hold the signal with decent LNB's in the rain.

Read here: http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f11/multi-sat-set-up-334542/

maffster
18th August, 2013, 08:15 PM
Just getting the signal reading from the bush HD box, so bigger dish it is then, what is a decent lnb ?

depends which transponders you are using to gauge the signal quality, what i will tell you is the 60 will be fine for 19.2 & 28.2 but in heavy rain you will lose most of the hotbird ones, An 80cm is more efficient and will hold the signal with decent LNB's in the rain.

Read here: http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f11/multi-sat-set-up-334542/

digicon
18th August, 2013, 08:46 PM
If using singles then the Inverto Black Ultra

maffster
18th August, 2013, 10:42 PM
One other thing , i have a dish which is 80 cm high by 75cm wide, would i class that as an 80 or 70 and why would it not be round. probably a straight forward answer but i'm still brand new to most of this

happy_highlander
18th August, 2013, 10:49 PM
It would most likely be classed as 78 and is not round because it is an offset dish.

maffster
27th August, 2013, 09:30 PM
so i have gone and put up a 1 metre dish, 19.2e gets me 63% quality on some channels and 75% on others, Hotbird now gives me 60% on some channels and 64% on others, so i'm happy i've got it right?
I'm using a AK54-XT2 lnb for 19.2 which came with dish and the standard ross lnb for hotbird. how much of an improvement will decent lnbs give me?
Also what is the next one to go after 9 degrees? I'm in Southampton.

happy_highlander
27th August, 2013, 10:28 PM
I have triax 88cm dish with inverto black ultra lnb's and average around 85% on 13?e and between 85ish and 97 on 19.2?e so your answer to how much better will your signal be with decent lnb's is lots. I'm in the East Midlands by the way

maffster
27th August, 2013, 10:33 PM
I have triax 88cm dish with inverto black ultra lnb's and average around 85% on 13?e and between 85ish and 97 on 19.2?e so your answer to how much better will your signal be with decent lnb's is lots. I'm in the East Midlands by the way

Wow, i'll have to get myself a couple then, Cheers Fella

happy_highlander
27th August, 2013, 10:38 PM
Are you certain dish and lnb are lined up correctly as that seems fairly low for that size of dish

maffster
27th August, 2013, 11:02 PM
Are you certain dish and lnb are lined up correctly as that seems fairly low for that size of dish

Relatively, i used a manhattan finder to find the satellite and a nikkai to fine tune it, if i go left right up down, i just lose some signal, That said with the Nikkai i could get the reading to go to around 85 on the meter but i had to turn the attenuator on for Hotbird as the signal went off the scale. that was with 22khz turned to off and 13/18v set to 13.
Does that sound normal or would i be doing something wrong?

happy_highlander
27th August, 2013, 11:34 PM
**** knows I set mine up with a tried and trusted method of loading an up to date channel list for all the required sats I needed then used dm satfinder app on my Android phone to control my vu+ and show snr and agc then just tweaked it all until I got a good strong signal across all 4 sats

maffster
27th August, 2013, 11:52 PM
Lol sounds about right , someone does it with a phone and does a better job than me.

happy_highlander
28th August, 2013, 12:03 AM
The phone is only really used to change the channel to test diffrent tp's and removes the need to take tv up the ladder with you to see signal strength lol phone is much easier to carry. By using an up to date channel list you know your pointing at the correct sat or the snr won't go up.

ramjet
28th August, 2013, 08:34 AM
I use a spiderbox as it can show signal and quality on screen and is easy to use with an up to date motorised channel list and a portable tv
before the spiderbox I used a tm1500 to do this but its not as informative and is only SD too
but as is said above an android phone with the vu app can be used to let a vu allow you to check signal and quality on transponders
a satfinder that emits a "whistling tone" is also used just to locate a satellite

maffster
17th November, 2013, 02:06 AM
Just an update since my last post, have a triax 88 cm dish with one of those triax multi lnb bars, pulling in 9e,13e.19.2e and 28.2e. I have three cheap invertos and a black ultra for the 9e hd channels. will be after an 8 way diseqc switch to add some more sats soon. I did play with a cheap motor than came with the 88 but i don't think i'm ready for that yet,very difficult to set up. Happy so far with the way it's going so if any newbies like me come along then spin them in my direction and i may be able to payback the site with some advice :top:

dick b
18th November, 2013, 01:04 PM
the 8 way will be a bit more difficult than the 4 way,I"d reconsider using a motor its pretty straight forward as long as you work accurately and methodically and there are plenty of guides about as well as the help you will get on here.

happy_highlander
18th November, 2013, 11:37 PM
8 way is easy to set up if you set as diseqc 1.1 give me a shout if you get stuck

ke1th
24th November, 2013, 12:07 AM
I'd be interested to know if you notice any significant loss through your switch? The specs for the ones I've been looking at seem to quote 3 to 5db which would probably kill my signal here in the Canaries.  Another option I'm considering is a second dish/lnb/cable plus an extra tuner in my receiver. Luckily, I've found a 1.2m Channel Master dish complete with 3" J wall/roof stand dumped by the local bins - a casualty of the 28.2E changes no doubt. Sadly she-who-must-be-obeyed is vetoing the optimum site for it which would be right in the middle of the garden...

happy_highlander
24th November, 2013, 12:43 AM
I see no difference between a line direct from sly mini dish on tuner 'b' and a line from mini dish through 8 way diseqc on tuner 'a'

ke1th
24th November, 2013, 05:43 PM
That's great. I've just routed my testbed signal through a 2 port A/B switch and see no difference either. Wonder why the specs are so pessimistic?