PDA

View Full Version : Which ISP?

Lyrrad
25th April, 2009, 11:17 PM
I couldn't find thread about this in the forum.

I am with www.adsl24.co.uk that are re-seller for Entanet. I have really been having problems with them over the last 3 months so I am looking to move. I would like about 30gb peak usage allowance with unlimited off peak.

Any suggestions. I've heard BE Unlimited is meant to be good.

opsmonkey
25th April, 2009, 11:44 PM
TBH mate im with Virgin media.. 20MB broadband.. no probs whatsoever.. been connected 24/7 for over 365 with:

PC
3 Laptops
PS3
Wii
Dreambox
iPhone

my dreambox is connected 24/7 as is my PC..

Virgin for me have been great

chroma
27th April, 2009, 12:17 AM
I couldn't find thread about this in the forum.

I am with www.adsl24.co.uk (http://www.adsl24.co.uk) that are re-seller for Entanet. I have really been having problems with them over the last 3 months so I am looking to move. I would like about 30gb peak usage allowance with unlimited off peak.

Any suggestions. I've heard BE Unlimited is meant to be good.

you heard right.

im on be unlimited for 18 quid a month i think?
i download constantly and upload constantly, roughly 600gb down a month and about 300up.
never had a problem with them, they will push your adsl line as fast as it will handle and actively encourage you to tweak your settings for more speed if your comfortable doing so.

the only downside is the speedtouch router they give you, its wifi is a little shitty depending on your wifi card, on my laptop i can get a great signal, on my pc with a dlink card i get problems keeping connected unless im fairly close to the router. other than that however i have NEVER had an issue from them, and like i said i whore my bandwidth.

stringy09
27th April, 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm with virgin media to, on thier 20MB XL broadband.

I've never had any problems either, mind you i've ony been with them for about a week and a half.

Sometimes in the early hours of the morning i've checked my speed and seen 25MB.

I was with BT before and reliably recieved 6MB from them for about 2 years, then all of a sudden they set my speed to 2MB and said that it was all my line could support. So they got thier marching orders fairly quickly.

BT used to mean British Telecom
BT now means Bloody Terrible in my eyes.

caveman_nige
27th April, 2009, 01:53 PM
It seems you are after an ADSL provider and not DSL, i know VM do an ADSL to non DSL areas but I do not know how good their service is compared to a proper cable DSL connection. My mum has this issue with her area and we set her with a company that is now called plusnet and the service there has been faultless since installation a few years ago..

Lyrrad
27th April, 2009, 06:55 PM
you heard right.

and like i said i whore my bandwidth.

Boy you do.

I've been told that my 'upgrade' to ADSL2 has caused the problem. I was getting 6mb quite happily for a long time. Now only managing 3MB. adsl24 are putting me back on ADSL to see if I get my 6MB, otherwise I'll look at BE unlimted.

However I am in a DSL area so VM is a possibility.

A couple of questins on VM.

Is it unlimited? I mean proper unlimited without speed reduction after a certain mark has been reached

Do VM always deliver the 10mb if thats what I go with? Does this change dramtically during peak times?

I can't see myself paying more than ?20 per month so that speed will have to do.

Thanks in advance

stringy09
27th April, 2009, 08:01 PM
VM is unlimited in terms of how MUCH you download, however they do have a throttling policy.

For example if your on broadband size L, which is the 10MB connection this how it works...

Between 10am - 3pm you can download upto 2.4GB before you are throttled by 75% (which means your down to 2.5Mb on a 10Mb connection) for a maximum of 5 hours.

Between 4pm - 9pm you can download upto 1.2GB before your throttled the same as above.

Between 3pm - 8pm there is an upload threshold of 700MB.

This sounds quite harsh at first but i have never noticed it make any difference to my connection, i'm on 20MB though.

They also only throttle the top 5% of users aswell, so if there is people downloading more than you, you won't be throttled anyway.

I have downloaded & uploaded a combined 9.5GB as i write this since 4pm today and have not been throttled yet.

lightbulb
16th May, 2009, 12:31 AM
Just to add my two penneth regarding ADSL,
I'm with Be and theyre good with regards to the unlimited/fair use usage. But just make sure you get a better router as they'll give you some cruddy thompson speedtouch that restarts if there is too much data going through it.

Having done a bit of reading as I'm looking for another myself, a router based on the Broadcomm chipset gives better speeds with Be over say the Texas Instruments AR7 chipset routers.

tommy t spanner
16th May, 2009, 12:58 AM
Which ISP? well i have used ukonline for the past 12mths with no problems,i get 95% of the advertised up/download speeds,24/7,they do not throttle p2p,at all,and also will provide a fully un interleaved (fast path) service if you are a on-line gammer so you get the lowest ping times(on their network) as they do not/cannot control other networks,(and is unlimited)also you have be/02 o2 bb,being slightly cheaper,even more so if you have a o2 mobile contract 8mb @?7.50 per month,not too sure on their FPU though all the isp's provide their llu in a lot of bt telephone exchanges you can check your local exchange here:http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
as if you are unable to get connected via llu by ukonline/sky=easynet,or 02/be the prices jump up on o2/be not sure about sky bb but ukonline don't charge more,also if no llu,they will be more likley to enforce the fpu,as this (data stream) is more expensive to them as it uses the bt network

Allycuk
16th May, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hi there!I just wanted to ad my 2 cents to this topic...I am not very computer savvy and I still struggle like most about all the speeds etc,etc(too technical >way over my head)but as I started using the Internet more for dl purposes I became interested more in Broadband speed and I think that British Broadband is one of the worst!I think it is due to the stranglehold BT have over others,I used to be with VM who provided decent speed but then moved to BT and my dl speeds are usually at 350-380kb,I am paying for 8mb service but these companies only put it in the smallprint that you may get nowhere near this speed(a bit of a con IMO).My mate recently got VM and I think they have well improved on their service but everywhere I look I hear only good things about the speed of BE but seemingly customer service ain't too hot.I will be changing to BE in the coming months so I will come back to this thread and let you know if speeds improve for me.BT however are one of the worst!they are ripping people off IMO.