PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked PCR2.1 after sw official upgrade - need unlock again?

teoturo
22nd August, 2013, 10:27 PM
Dear all,
in Italy VwGroupItalia is making a massive recall for 1.6tdi engines which consists in sw upgrade and injectors replacement.In last few weeks I was contacted by some customers which had injectors replaced (because of noise) only on condition of sw upgrade. So they lost remap and now ask me to remap new sw too.
Question is: does a sw upgrade involve also ecu lock/unlock?Should I open again ecu for a new unlock or can I just read new sw,modify and write it by obd?This would be helpful for everybody.
I think magpro and cmd inform if ecu is locked/unlocked by obd ecu id.Galletto official doesn't have this function.Is there a way to understand if ecu is locked/unlocked?

kire106ka
22nd August, 2013, 11:22 PM
I would not experiment if you not have a tool to unlock read eprom from ecu and post here to unlock byt i dont think they lock it again byt i'am not 100% sure.
Unlock it again that is not a problem 5 min job

ross79ta
23rd August, 2013, 03:07 AM
Dear all,
in Italy VwGroupItalia is making a massive recall for 1.6tdi engines which consists in sw upgrade and injectors replacement.In last few weeks I was contacted by some customers which had injectors replaced (because of noise) only on condition of sw upgrade. So they lost remap and now ask me to remap new sw too.
Question is: does a sw upgrade involve also ecu lock/unlock?Should I open again ecu for a new unlock or can I just read new sw,modify and write it by obd?This would be helpful for everybody.
I think magpro and cmd inform if ecu is locked/unlocked by obd ecu id.Galletto official doesn't have this function.Is there a way to understand if ecu is locked/unlocked?

You have to unlock it again.

teoturo
23rd August, 2013, 09:13 AM
As written I do have a tool which unlocks,official Galletto (not clone).Problem is that Galletto doesn't say if ecu is already unlocked or locked and making 2 times the unlock could create problems.

teoturo
23rd August, 2013, 09:18 AM
Ross79ta, you wrote "You have to unlock it again"
Did you experimented this?
I was sure of this too at beginning,but the first car I re-remapped after sw upgrade the first time last week,and tried to work just by obd.I made no unlock and everything worked fine.So I posted here to understand which is the "rule".
Unfortunately Galletto doesn't say if ecu is locked or not,but says you can't do unlock 2 times,just one.So what should I do next time?

pinotec
23rd August, 2013, 03:17 PM
I think sw update does not touch the bytes of the block
however, you can always desolder the eeprom and check with hex editor
without fgtech

kennfeld
23rd August, 2013, 03:56 PM
You need only to unlock if the flash enable byte is not the good value

if they update they not necessairy off the flash enable ...
because i think only manufactory have this rights

teoturo
23rd August, 2013, 04:47 PM
How can I check this?Could you please explain me how to check flash enable byte?

kevfield
23rd August, 2013, 06:41 PM
Forget flash just read eeprom and post here someone will tell u if its unlocked or not

Thanks kev

teoturo
23rd August, 2013, 07:13 PM
If magpro and cmd can say ecu is locked or unlocked by obd ecu id,I suppose there's a way to check if ecu is locked or unlocked by obd...without opening ecu again and place resistors again.A 3 mins job instead of 30mins job or more.

kevfield
24th August, 2013, 02:14 PM
Not sure but 3 mins 30 mins thats just the nature of the job , the pcr2.1 you can ID it via obd but not read or write untill eeprom is unlocked.....

Thanks kev

teoturo
26th August, 2013, 01:39 PM
Not sure but 3 mins 30 mins thats just the nature of the job , the pcr2.1 you can ID it via obd but not read or write untill eeprom is unlocked.....

Thanks kev

Sorry but maybe you didn't read my first post. Nobody wants to say it is possible to write a PCR2.1 without unlocking it, just the question was: if a car has been already unlocked, has been already remapped, later sw has been updated by Vw/audi/seat/skoda dealer with a new release; after this update is the ecu still unlocked or does it need to be unlocked again?
Please people give just clear and tested information, not personal opinions. Especially because when I read "you can ID it via obd but not read or write untill eeprom is unlocked" I understand maybe you never worked on a PCR2.1, as you can ID it and also read it also 50 times even if it is locked, just you can't write it until it is unlocked.

I collected some interesting information from my partners here in Italy and everybody told me "unlock" stays also after ecu official sw upgrade, so it is just necessary to read+modify+write new sw with no need of a new unlock.

Hope this will help everybody not to loose time in opening ecus, check e2p and reclose it.