PDA

View Full Version : Tripping rcd from out house

flyin
24th August, 2013, 10:46 AM
I have an outhouse where my washing machine tumble dryer etc is situated with only one plug point. I run both machines off an extension lead and every now and then the rcd trips in my house I'm assuming there's too much power being pulled. My question is why does the rcd trip when there's a small rcd / fuse box in the outhouse already which I use sometimes to isolate the power in the outhouse.

paulinter
24th August, 2013, 11:06 AM
Hi mate.. am not a sparky but bro in law is. but I had this with my garage. House and garage rcd were both the same size. need a smaller rcd in the outhouse but best to figure out why it's tripping. Not sure if you got a consumer unit in your outhouse or just using the extension. Best using one thing at a time to see what one is tripping the rcd. It will give you a bit of an idea if it's the appliances or not. You do have a fuse box. Are they fuses or mcb's.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

flyin
24th August, 2013, 12:44 PM
Think their mcbs one 5 amp for lights and one 15 amps for socket. Like little plastic cartridge things.

cactikid
24th August, 2013, 02:58 PM
i doubt they are supposed to be run off extension leads,tumble drier would be a high usage unit so lead would be overpowered,are they 5a,10a,13amp?
http://www.generalcable.com/NR/rdonlyres/AEFA0995-ADF0-4AA8-96F4-E3CB20FF72AA/0/Pg92_Extension_Cord_Facts.pdf

flyingpig
24th August, 2013, 04:11 PM
An RCD is a residual current device and this is different than an MCB - miniature circuit breaker.

An RCD basically measures the current going through it, and if it is say a 30ma (mill amp) RCD, if there is a difference of more than 30ma between what is going in and what is coming out it assumes that the current is leaking somewhere it shouldn't and trips out as a safety precuation.

An MCB is the same as a fuse, but acts much quicker, and can just be reset - so no need for fusewire or cartridge fuse replacement.

If it is just for the supply to the garage and no where else is affetced, there is either a fault with your appliance or wiring. Sometimes RCD and MCB will trip when a lamp goes out.

Meat-Head
26th August, 2013, 10:07 AM
ERR hang on guys, if were taking bets on what's tripping it, ill have ?10 each way on the washing machine heating element

Easy way would be to UNPLUG each appliance when not in use, to elminate it.

Did read somehwere about some THHICK fence fitter nicked an armoured underground cable with a cheval and over time was tripping RCD.

start with unplug washing machine
check for damp inside sockets

maca
26th August, 2013, 10:23 AM
Yeah deffo damp had same problem turned out every time it rained water was getting to the socket.

flyin
26th August, 2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I know it's the washing machine tripping the rcd in the house and it only happens when the washing machine is overloaded ( I keep telling her but she doesn't listen) generally but why is the trip switch in the out house not tripping and my main rcd in house trips instead I mean is that normal or what.

Meat-Head
26th August, 2013, 01:48 PM
weird, next time you done a heavy load, set machine gaing again but set heat to zero, see what happens

but if'ts only when overload that would suggest

1) leaking water, more clothes, less space for air
2) heavy clothes, dragging drum down, chaffing on wiring?
3) lost intreast

ifred
26th August, 2013, 03:48 PM
You may find that when the washing machine has a big load the motor can't turn over easily either upgrade the cable (if cable is to thin ) or fit a slow trip RCD I think from memory its a C curve RCD
it allow for the surge of power as the motor starts that's why motors have a capacitor for starting the release of power trips the RCD lighter load less surge maybe

Basically B C D and K are the curves
Bis for lighting duty Very low thermal withstading
C is for motor duty Medium Thermal withstanding 6-10In
D is for the loads which is taking high in rsh Current
Ex:Capacitors,Computers and Electronic Equipments 10-20In
K is for Cable protection :pcguru:

A good sparky will know for sure!

Meat-Head
26th August, 2013, 08:31 PM
ON TOPIC:-

What is it tripping on, E, LSD?

OFF TOPIC:-

If you keep getting RCD tripping, as Cindy Lauper found, that time after time, it gess more regular, untill the mechanical part fails.

cactikid
26th August, 2013, 08:54 PM
try using a washerette or laundry service instead.lol