PDA

View Full Version : We got any readers in here?

chroma
28th April, 2009, 07:48 AM
So anyone in here read those old outdated paper housebrick thingies you find in those old buildings called lye breries?

:)

i read a whole lot, usualy got 3 or 4 novels/textbooks going at once.

im currently reading:
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, not exactly a travel book though its classified in my library as a bottom shelfer or deadly weapon.
Its actualy pretty good, not quite the fountainhead but good none the less.

Myst: The Book of Atrus. Actualy my 7th or 8th readthrough, i love that book, an old 1st edition thats beautifuly bound with embossed hardback and marbled paper. its about a kid whos mother dies at birth and his dad abandons him with his gran in some crack out in the desert next to a volcano where he grows up till he reaches adolescance, then his dad comes back and takes him deep underground to some huge cavern to teach him how to write "worlds" in special books that you link to when you touch them. his dad winds up a nutcase and young Atrus has to escape from him.

The Making of a Stormtrooper, some old textbook from Princeton, i picked it up at a fleamarket cause its cover stood out, a stark red hardback with a swastika.
Its pretty scary in terms of just how much of hitlers rise to power and gathering of an army equates to todays economy.
should unemployment continue i could see another arsehole making it into power and wreaking havok.

Finaly in the bog im reading Old man and the Sea by Hemmingway. Seriously his best work. No single sentance out of place, its the most concise writing ive read. an old man, a young boy and a huge fish. outstanding "dumping" material. (hemmingway is either laughing in his grave or fairly pissed right now)

So whats everyone else reading?
im interested in everything, i just got through reading a couple of textbooks on calculus and fluid dynamics out of sheer lack of material (hence the myst reread)
inspire me to pick up a gem.

Evastar
28th April, 2009, 07:59 AM
Well i've got five books on the go at the moment:

The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub - one of Stephen Kings best ever, i have reread this one loads of times.

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot - which suggest the universe is a 3D projection and has amazing scientific theories to back it up. Well worth a look.

Death & Reincarnation by Sri Chinmoy - not sure i like this one, that's probably why i keep leaving it down, it's a bit basic.

The Book of Stones by Robert Simmons and Naisha Ahsian - amazing book on crystals, well worth a read if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Improve Your Eyesight by Jonathan Barnes - a book on the Bates method for better eyesight without glasses, i am wrecking my eyes being on the pc so much, so i thought i'd give this a go! lol!

And i don't read in the loo ;)

forntida
28th April, 2009, 08:49 AM
Well i've got five books on the go at the moment:

The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub - one of Stephen Kings best ever, i have reread this one loads of times.

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot - which suggest the universe is a 3D projection and has amazing scientific theories to back it up. Well worth a look.

Death & Reincarnation by Sri Chinmoy - not sure i like this one, that's probably why i keep leaving it down, it's a bit basic.

The Book of Stones by Robert Simmons and Naisha Ahsian - amazing book on crystals, well worth a read if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Improve Your Eyesight by Jonathan Barnes - a book on the Bates method for better eyesight without glasses, i am wrecking my eyes being on the pc so much, so i thought i'd give this a go! lol!

And i don't read in the loo ;)

The son of Bates did not help eyesight, apparently.:roflmao:

I have probably read a full library by now.

Presently reading;

S****horpe Revisited - Spike Milligan.

Gallery Whispers - Quintin Jardine.

The Nikon Guide To Digital Photography With The D50.

The best writer that I have read, in my opinion, was Denis Wheatley. A very descriptive writer who wrote mostly about the occult and devil worship.

RedSpider
28th April, 2009, 10:45 AM
i am currently reading some drivel about books on the internet lol

ste6106
28th April, 2009, 11:00 AM
I have read recently,

Relentless by Simon Kernick and Deadline by the same author, this is because I am a charcter int hese books too!

Just read Marcus Trescothick's Autobiog which was v good.

And a book about the football derbies of the world called, Mad for It

chroma
28th April, 2009, 02:38 PM
dont read much m8 only the papers, but i do use the library, the only books i have ever read is by james herbet- the rats and the domain, veyr good books to.

Ive got The Fog sitting on a shelf here, way better than the movie adaptations. horror always works better in print. mostly begause your own imagination is more powerfull than a rubber mutant or shady performances from dubios acting talent.

Im not much into Steve King either, i did like Geralds Game and i enjoyed Christine, but the endings always suck.

Best horror writer hands down is Richard Laymon, he's got the balls to write some fairly messed up stuff and doesnt seem to hold back in areas that other authors fear to tread.

The Holographic Universe is completely mindblowing, Alain Aspects work blew my mind and i began to wonder about creating comms at a subatomic level a almost a decade back, if you could measure the rotation denoting clockwise and anticlockwise you effctively have a binary system which computers already use. the equipment required however is too large for any portable system, so it would only really be feasable for interplanetary communication, say commuicating with an accelerator on mars.

Anyway Aspects theories turned me on to Talbots and the book blew me away. Not exactly light reading but im all for that.

cantona7
28th April, 2009, 02:59 PM
read quite a bit but only ever one at a time

current author i'm going through is dean r koontz

reading third part of a certain character called odd thomas
it's like twilight zone type thing about supernatural adventures
will elaborate more later when home from work

best books i've ever read was lord of the rings books and read them 8 or 9 times now,pure kick ass books the films were ok but no-where near the books !!

alunfennell
28th April, 2009, 04:58 PM
dont read much m8 only the papers, but i do use the library, the only books i have ever read is by james herbet- the rats and the domain, veyr good books to.

A Great few opening pages in that Book by James Herbert A bottle Springs to mind ...........

Its a Very long time since I read that one .... Good Book......

Regards:
Alun

Ps:
I love when someone brings us a little Culture on Digital-Kaos .....Next week I think Ill start a trend on Great Painters & Masterpieces followed By Fine Wines ........

C64
28th April, 2009, 06:27 PM
Best horror writer hands down is Richard Laymon, he's got the balls to write some fairly messed up stuff and doesnt seem to hold back in areas that other authors fear to tread.

Hmm, I've got a few Richard Laymon books in a cupboard, my wife grabbed them for me at a car-boot sale. I'll dig them out.

Mr Pumpy
28th April, 2009, 07:18 PM
Talisman by King and Straub is a cracking book, read it years ago for the first time and ive re-read a few times since.

I used to be into Robert Ludlum books years ago too but went off em.

I loved all the early Clive Barker book too, Weaveworld, The great and secret show and Imajica were all good stories.

Just before xmas I read the first five books of Brian Lumleys Necroscope series, absolutely brilliant, a good twist on all the Vampire stories.
There's loads more in the series but the library is letting me down so im gonna have to track em down elsewhere.

I also like reading the Kays catalogue, I never get to the end though cos I get bogged down in the lingerie section. :D

Bulld0g
28th April, 2009, 07:23 PM
I love when someone brings us a little Culture on Digital-Kaos .....Next week I think Ill start a trend on Great Painters & Masterpieces followed By Fine Wines ........
A good wine to start with is Lambrini. By Halewoods finest vintners on Huyton industrial estate.A cheeky little number but no self respecting pt would touch it wtih a shitty stick :roflmao:

Evastar
29th April, 2009, 08:17 AM
I like Clive Barker, anyone ever read Robert R McCammon, They Thirst and SwanSong? They're brilliant horror books.

I love the Hobbit and LOTR, also in fantasy/scifi category like Thomas Covenant chronicles by Stephen Donaldson, Druss the Legend by David Gemmell, Time of the Dark by Barbara Hambly, Magician by Raymond E Feist. :)

In more scientific stuff i have The Dancing Wu Li Masters there, just haven't got around to reading it yet.

forntida
29th April, 2009, 08:28 AM
S****horpe Revisited - Spike Milligan.

I hope the peson who wrote the program that does this does not have the audacity to call him/herself a computer programmer.

zaphodbb
29th April, 2009, 08:54 AM
i like colin forbes, james patterson and for light reading bill bryson
the worst book ever is hells angels by sonny barger :stupid:

bluefin
29th April, 2009, 11:14 PM
:roflmao::roflmao:last book i read was 57 ? not sure of the number, cromwell st..... fred wests flat. say no more, i just stick to the daily rags now !! gotta say,, the SUN use a nice size font :roflmao: maybe its just may AULD eyes pmsl !

Mr Pumpy
30th April, 2009, 06:07 PM
I like Clive Barker, anyone ever read Robert R McCammon, They Thirst and SwanSong? They're brilliant horror books.

I love the Hobbit and LOTR, also in fantasy/scifi category like Thomas Covenant chronicles by Stephen Donaldson, Druss the Legend by David Gemmell, Time of the Dark by Barbara Hambly, Magician by Raymond E Feist. :)

In more scientific stuff i have The Dancing Wu Li Masters there, just haven't got around to reading it yet.

Jeez how did I forget those... Every one of those are brilliant.
The Gap series was tip top too.

Krypton
30th April, 2009, 06:09 PM
i just finished reading a good book about 3 comic sporting heroes.
the amazing wilson
alf tupper 'the tuff of the track'
and roy of the rovers.

cracking read

40amd40
5th May, 2012, 06:02 PM
I recently got a sony ereader and in the last 3 weeks i have read the Rats series by James Herbert. A set of books i read many moons ago..just superb reading.

Right now I'm reading Lee Evans autobiography and i must admit within the first 4 chapters i had tears running down my face - of laughter....it is so funny. i would highly recommend this book.

I noticed that someone said they were reading - Deadline by Simon Kernick...would that be the ebook version or the paper version? if you have the ebook version i would love to have a read of it as well.

Thanks
Angela

ray156
5th May, 2012, 07:57 PM
who needs libraries nowaday's-when you have digital kaos.........

dakarr
12th May, 2012, 05:18 AM
Just started in on Stephen Kings new Gunslinger book
"The Wind Through The Keyhole"
One of the most epic series ever written!

cresad67
13th May, 2012, 10:21 PM
Both me and the missus have always been big reader's. Mine are mainly sci-fi and fantasy , current read is Peter hamilton The Reality Dysfunction that I've read before and am now going through the trilogy again - just got his new book as well. The missus is a horror fan , her favorite at the moment is Dean *****z - which ever one she picks up next.
Our spare room has 2 walls of nothing but bookshelves that we have to keep going through to find room for new books.

Adam

dishhdchina
14th May, 2012, 01:01 PM
i'm a new user from Shanghai, China, it seems there are much details to follow in this forum.

masur123
15th May, 2012, 08:49 PM
Currently finishing the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

Fav author is the legendary Stephen Donaldson, as posted in the ebook section, the Gap series is the greatest series of books I have read in my time on this earth

peterstickz
27th August, 2012, 07:30 PM
reread many times.
Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb.
easy read and is actually 6 books:bounce:

Hoppy01
28th August, 2012, 05:39 PM
A think reading is a brilliant thing to do and ave often got a few books on the go.
A always read a few chapters before bedtime and sometimes a like to read a bit when fishing, there is nothing better than sitting in a boat being gently rocked, lying flat out with your rod out and bite detector switched on reading a good book,,,as long as the book doesn't contain anything with Ahab or wales in it.
The missus swears i'm a different person when a come home from a days fishing, that's usually when a agree to silly things like painting the living room again or hoovering her car and polishing it,, you know, the kinda things you agree to after sex.

Its good to see technology playing a good part in reviving reading rather than being painted as the Anti-Christ.
It did suprise me that Steve Jobs completely missed ebooks at first, he said"it was something that would never catch on",, oops, Steve done a full 360 when he saw that people do still read and they read a lot.
You only have to look at the amount of posts on DK devoted to books, its amazing how a industry can be revived if its put on the right platform.

Personally a like the old fashioned way of actually picking up a paper book..
It just feels right, going to my local library or book shop and taking my time to select the right book or have a expert recommend my next book.
I tried reading on the iPad, it was good but it didn't have the same experience as a real book imo.
However my opinion doesn't matter as the important thing is people are reading and that can only be a good thing...

asdasd666
28th August, 2012, 06:01 PM
Idiot was pretty good book.

kitty66
28th August, 2012, 06:03 PM
I just finished the Mistborn trilogy in paperback. Makes me a bit sad that with the e readers, actual books seem to be falling by the wayside. Then again I'm sort of glad that I don't have to worry about the spines breaking, and pages falling out anymore XD

tshirtman
29th August, 2012, 01:11 PM
I recently got a sony ereader and in the last 3 weeks i have read the Rats series by James Herbert. A set of books i read many moons ago..just superb reading.

Right now I'm reading Lee Evans autobiography and i must admit within the first 4 chapters i had tears running down my face - of laughter....it is so funny. i would highly recommend this book.

I noticed that someone said they were reading - Deadline by Simon Kernick...would that be the ebook version or the paper version? if you have the ebook version i would love to have a read of it as well.

Thanks
Angela

You'll find the whole series in the ebook section, Here: http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f196/simon-kernick-series-289314/#post1676859

char806
1st September, 2012, 07:31 AM
i just finished reading the night circus by erin morgenstern and the maze runner trilogy by james dashner. all 4 books were really good!

kuaysuk
1st September, 2012, 07:51 AM
Chemistry for Dummies, pretty great book actually, very well written.

gbpackcdr
4th September, 2012, 12:47 AM
Currently reading the Maze Runner series and the Games of Thrones series

baldybear
4th September, 2012, 12:55 AM
terry pratchett.i must be on my 3rd re-read of all his books :bounce:

Edgy
5th September, 2012, 10:51 AM
Currently reading 'Glamorama' by Bret Easton Ellis. Just finished the Conversations with Bono book which even if you hate U2 is an interesting insight into the man's ego, he actually comes across genuine.

smbrb1
5th September, 2012, 07:41 PM
I find it hard to read a book now that I have been reading on my phone

victoriageras
5th September, 2012, 09:06 PM
I LUV reading and i honestly cannot understund people that they find it boring.I mean,verily (BDB fan here), how many hours can you be stuck infront of a pc?

I currently read "They Royals" by Kitty Kelley and i find it really ... odd as book.It's not the usual "fairy - tale" representation of the Windsor family and it has a lot of facts that i didn't know previously.

bcfcREDrobin
5th September, 2012, 09:08 PM
Currently re reading World War Z :D

cheshirecattict
6th September, 2012, 08:38 PM
I'm on the third book in the Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer. It can get a bit dry and longwinded from time to time, but it's a really interesting read.

baldybear
7th September, 2012, 08:12 PM
reading a thriller at the moment.dead six. by larry correia.never heard of this guy before but i`m half way through and hooked

bplayfuli
10th September, 2012, 08:34 AM
Just finished Divergent by Veronica Roth and Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs. Currentlydebating what to read next. I have several Agatha Christies on deck on my e reader but I'm not sure I'm in the mood. What I really want to do is buy Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent trilogy, but my budget for book purchases is nil right now.

Would recommend Divergent to anyone who enjoys YA dystopian lit. Almost as good as Hunger Games and I liked the main character more than Katniss.

pfj_official
10th September, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone! Have started reading a lot more again via Kindle and have been reading the Game Of Thrones series currently on the 5th one. Any recommendations for horror novels? Last good one I enjoyed was Ghost Story by Peter Strauss. Have read most of Stephen Kings books but preferred the earlier ones especially The Shining, Salem's Lot, Pet Semetary and The Stand.

attilya
10th September, 2012, 10:37 AM
just finished chronicles of ancient darkness series by michelle paver for the second time! i love that series

aleasc
10th September, 2012, 10:45 AM
hello to everybody

scarloc
10th September, 2012, 09:26 PM
The "In Her Name" Omnibus by Michael R. Hicks is greatly recommended if you like sci fi and fantasy, a great hybrid of the two genres.

leehoughton
10th September, 2012, 09:53 PM
I'm about to start the second Dexter and just recently finished Chaos walking series

Diogenes
11th September, 2012, 09:34 PM
Currently three on the bed.

The works of Hermann Hesse: Narcissus And Goldmund among others. Welcome To The Monkey House/Palm Sunday - Kurt Vonnegut and The Thing Around Your Neck - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

I like having a collection of short stories to hand in case ennui sets in.

J1227
14th September, 2012, 04:03 AM
Desperately waiting on the next wheel of time, asoiaf, stormlight archive and kingkiller chronicle books.

manxspud
14th September, 2012, 10:15 AM
Desperately waiting on the next wheel of time

Like you i have been waiting for the final book in the wheel of time series ... well the wait is nearly up!!!!

A prelude to memory of light (due to be released on the 8/1/13) called by grace and banners fallen will be available on the 2/10/12 in various ebook formate priced $2.99.

That said i will not be rushing out to order the hardback release on the 8/1 as i have replaced my book collection entirely with ebooks ... giving away almost 500 books to various charity shops in the area, mostly fantasy / fiction.

As i have been following the wheel of time books since around 90/91 i am happy to wait for the ebook version to arrive.:rolleyes:

RIP: Robert Jordan

Ps ... here is where you can order the prelude:
http://www.dragonmount.com/store/

LobsterSpam
14th September, 2012, 11:16 AM
Just finished the last installation of the Game of Thrones series and am currently on Terry Pratchett's 'Snuff'. Love the Night Watch. Next up is Iain Banks' 'Transition'!

hunslet ramone
14th September, 2012, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=chroma;183293]

Im not much into Steve King either, i did like Geralds Game and i enjoyed Christine, but the endings always suck.

Yes true Laymon is the best, read every one of his books. Savage, Quake, The Island, The Bite, Vampire Circus,The Stake, Endless Night all sheer brilliant, with I would say James Herbert a close second. Dean Kootz not far behind.

Just read The Cell by Stephen King , started off ok , but flagged half way through. Laymon says in one word what King takes to say in twenty, that's why his books tend to drag to me.

I usually have 3 or 4 books on the go , usually on my Kindle or on paperback , if i have borrowed them.

At moment just started reading Charles Hawtrey 1914-1988
The Man Who Was Private Widdle. Biography of the Carry On star.

James Herbert - Ash

Do like your Avatar Chroma , it's so true.

jenf
17th September, 2012, 07:54 PM
I'm currently being really pathetic and re-reading the Gossip Girl books :rolleyes: but prior to that I read Divergent by Veronica Roth, I am enjoying the dystopian young adult books at the minute but this one seemed a little too samey to Hunger Games and 1984.

wetdog
18th September, 2012, 11:29 AM
i can read..............