PDA

View Full Version : ISX CM871 engine installed into an old truck

jackalfa
28th August, 2013, 12:41 PM
Hi members, I have this issue: an old peterbilt truck (can remember the year maybe around lates 90's) used to have a series 60s engine that broke down and it was replaced with a ISX CM871 from and wrecked international truck. This because the owner of the truck wants to comply with CARB and EPA and if he had a newer engine in the truck, the truck would be permitted to keep working.

For now, the ECM was programed with a non-aftertreatment calibration. The engine starts and accelerates but here is the problems: My understanding is that the CM871 uses J1939 multiplexed communications to a controller to activate devices or functions.

The problem that I need to resolve, is how I can connect engine brake and cruise control in this old truck that in not multiplexed or don't have J1939 controllers.
Do I need a separate ecu or J1939 controller where I can connect engine brake and cruise control?
Any ideas on what wiring is needed to making work engine brake and cruise control?

Thanks in advance...

transinter
28th August, 2013, 04:44 PM
There insite option on the activation and disable J1939 multiplexed

change it there. small town if it works

cholmes729
28th August, 2013, 11:23 PM
The CM871 I believe still has inputs for cruise and jake switches to be hardwired. I might have a peterbilt schematic with a cummins in it. If you need it, let me know.

jackalfa
29th August, 2013, 12:00 AM
Thanks for your reply, CM871 don't give the option to disable J1939 multiplex, and, we try it already hard wiring to the ECM without luck. It seems that the ECM don't activate engine brakes unless actuated trough a J1939 controller but this is the big question how to do it and with which controller... Yes please, about the peterbilt schematic with a cummins in it, and if it you have the dash wiring schematic with a CM871 it would be great, thanks a lot.

cholmes729
29th August, 2013, 04:20 AM
Let me look and see if I have it. I will look right now

cholmes729
29th August, 2013, 04:49 AM
The CM871 still uses hardwire inputs for the jakes and the cruise control. I am looking at a wiring diagram for a CM871 ecm right now. I would love to get it for you, but it is in FLASH, and I do not know how to convert it to something that can be shared. However, if you go to your local Cummins dealer, it can be purchased for around $15-20 bucks. Part number 4021575. It comes laminated. I have a CM870 peterbilt schematic that has dash wiring in it, I also have a pre-94 peterbilt entire schematic, and I also have a 2005 and up peterbilt schematic that has information for trucks with Cummins,Cat, and Detroit engines in it. I will be happy to send you all 3. PM me your email address and I will get them to you. I got some of them from www.supermiller.com (http://www.supermiller.com/), click over to schematics and you will find lots of peterbilt schematics there.

jackalfa
29th August, 2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks cholmes729, yes I have the schematics from supermiller, but trust me, the other mechanic and I have done many wiring harness jobs but for some reason (with the CM871 wiring diagram on hand) can making work the CM871 for the jakes and cruise control via hardwiring. It's why I was asking for help, maybe the ECM needs to receive the J1939 signal from a J1939 controller in order to actuate the outputs... or plainly we are hardwiring the ECM wrong.
If the CM871 can be hardwired then it should be no big problem, the thing is that I don't know if it needs a J1939 controller or it can be hardwired...

cholmes729
30th August, 2013, 03:32 AM
I honestly think it can be hardwired, looking at the schematic, it has jake and cruise switch inputs. If it was J1939, you would think that it would not have those inputs.

Chadleynet
30th August, 2013, 05:52 AM
You can hard-wire the jakes and the cruise, observe your wiring diagram. It's pretty straight forward.

You will have to change your multiplexing settings within Insite.

jackalfa
30th August, 2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks Chadleynet, I have check several CM871 and none of them let me disable "SAE J1939 Multiplexing" only can be done in CM870.
I just can disable the devices or switches but not the multiplexing... I'm don't but I think that the multiplexing is still enabled and maybe is why it don't respond to the hardwiring. It can be possible this? Please help members, thanks again for your kind help.

cholmes729
30th August, 2013, 03:10 PM
You need to enable the switches for the items that need to be hardwired. Where it says source address, can you change that from Cab controller to hardwired?.

Chadleynet
30th August, 2013, 06:19 PM
I'm wondering if you have to enable multiplexing for your switches and change the source address to "0 - Engine #1" for hard-wired. At any rate, triple check your wiring as well.

TDT
2nd September, 2013, 11:22 PM
someone has the wiring diagram I need ISX CM871, greetings and thanks friends

doloman
3rd September, 2013, 06:30 AM
It`s diagram

someone has the wiring diagram I need ISX CM871, greetings and thanks friends

TDT
11th September, 2013, 05:30 AM
It`s diagram

thanks thanks thanks my friend :top:

Roy Suryadwiananda
11th September, 2013, 08:17 AM
Please help us, anyone has the wiring diagram 3666268 for ISX CM 570 , greetings and thanks friends.

jackalfa
11th September, 2013, 07:35 PM
I just want to update the work in this truck, the truck is on a job (local trips) right now in a near city, so I don't have had a chance to test or work with some configurations in the ECM to see if I can making work the engine brakes and cruise control. Just one thing, I can remember very well which wires we needed to install in the input harness for the engine brakes because there where none for the switches as is shown int the wiring diagram. As soon I have chance to work in the truck I let you know which wires and pin numbers I'm talking about and how it went with others tests. Thanks for your help and time...

mondao
12th September, 2013, 03:45 AM
218944try this

Roy Suryadwiananda
13th September, 2013, 07:27 AM
I just want to update the work in this truck, the truck is on a job (local trips) right now in a near city, so I don't have had a chance to test or work with some configurations in the ECM to see if I can making work the engine brakes and cruise control. Just one thing, I can remember very well which wires we needed to install in the input harness for the engine brakes because there where none for the switches as is shown int the wiring diagram. As soon I have chance to work in the truck I let you know which wires and pin numbers I'm talking about and how it went with others tests. Thanks for your help and time...

Whether it is had been asked for help here? : http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f164/kenworth-peterbilt-schematic-306919/

Roy Suryadwiananda
18th September, 2013, 04:20 AM
Kenworth C500 Truck, using CAT 3406B Engine and Trans Fuller RTLO 14715.
We conduct plan will be repowering with Cummins Engine ISX475/CM570 ESN : 35305338 and Fuller Trans. RTLO 16915. However, we had trouble with the all Wiring Harnness Part Number and Wiring Diagram between the Engine to Cabin.
Perhaps there is also a someone who use the model, I would appreciate if you could share Part Catalog / Bill of Materials / Wiring Diagram you have.
Thank you for your attention and your time.

Roy Suryadwiananda
24th September, 2013, 09:42 AM
Please anybody help ?