PDA

View Full Version : can i use a 3g /4g data internet simcard to make a reciever work pick up channels?

wakkaday
3rd September, 2013, 11:10 AM
i am moving house and i dont want to get a virgin / sky contract

but if i get a reciever will i be able to use a mifi dongle/router or something as the net access for the reciever to pick up channels. will this be possible? how much data is it expected to use per month?

jstrevor
3rd September, 2013, 11:25 AM
I would have thought so as long as the reception is half decent, data usage is minimal as its just downloading encryption keys

septicsmurf
3rd September, 2013, 02:02 PM
Yes it is possible with either a 3g router or mifi, but ping times need to be pretty good.
Don't reckon it'll be as good as a bb connection though.

blueflash234
3rd September, 2013, 06:28 PM
you could try a 4g dongle but if you wanted to use 1 channel it might be cheaper to get bb

SatSearching
3rd September, 2013, 07:10 PM
As above, a decent 3g router (expensive, look for teltonika etc) or a mifi (cheap Huawei) will do, but after spending time experimenting with all networks, three is by far the best (others have too much latency).

I used a T-Mobile mifi that I unlocked, but it has been hammered and overheats now, just got a new mifi from three and works well, but you need to keep it on-charge as the battery only lasts a couple of hours.

Have a look at three website, current mifi is about 49 quid including 1 gig of data. Not looked at unlocking it yet, but see no reason to do so as other networks are not quick enough.

SS

mdt
3rd September, 2013, 07:10 PM
i tried it and the latency was shocking so totally useless but saying that i had a cheap ?25 for the year access. it is possible as people do use them but its finding a good provider in your area so you might aswell just get a cheap provider like plusnet or talk talk for ?20 a month inc line rental at least then if you dont download/stream while watching premium content you will be ok. regards mdt

kegnkiwi
3rd September, 2013, 07:43 PM
I also tried using a 3g dongle and usb 3g router and the ping times on 3g just made it unwatchable this was on the 3 network where my download s***d was 6mb. I would like to know if the new 4g dongle have better ping times.

willywonker2010
4th September, 2013, 01:01 AM
just use bb
and VPN vanish
or somthing similar
private tunell for encryption

regy101
4th September, 2013, 12:28 PM
Hi. I used Orange 3g dongle and the TP-Link MR3220 3g router conected to an old Openbox S9. this worked quite well to be honest even when the signal was not excellent. I also tried a dongle from 3 and this was even better and deffinately watchable due to 3 having a better signal in the area. When I tried the same set up with a Vu Solo the results were excellent and no freezing/glitching at all so not sure if the received also makes a difference. I also tried an Openbox F3 with the wifi adaptor that comes with it and turned my phone into a wifi hotspot. This used very little data when only the received connected to it and worked very well also.

thanidar
4th September, 2013, 01:01 PM
i run mine off a dongle+router on 3 network yes it dose work but depending on the signal strength it might freeze for a few seconds and start again.take a look at primus broadband im switching over to that its ?134 if you pay your line rental up front[?120 for 12 mths]and broadband?1.20 a mth yes that is ?1.20.mines not being installed till 16 sept so not sure what its like but it got to be better than a dongle.a dongle should only use about 4 mb per day hope this helps.

thanidar
4th September, 2013, 01:05 PM
sorry mate thats 40 mb per day

septicsmurf
4th September, 2013, 04:02 PM
Just noticed how much 4g has come down in price. 6 gb of data lasting 90 days for ?25.
Bound to be a lot better than 3g.

septicsmurf
4th September, 2013, 04:21 PM
Just noticed how much 4g has come down in price. 6 gb of data lasting 90 days for ?25.
Bound to be a lot better than 3g.

wakkaday
5th September, 2013, 01:37 PM
would i need a box with wifi then or ethernet, can you get a 4g/3g router with ethernet....
i can't used an unlimited mobile data sim in that can i? as its not a phone...

wakkaday
7th September, 2013, 08:17 AM
Is that deal ee, lasting 6 months

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

SatSearching
28th September, 2013, 12:46 PM
You can get a 3g router with internal sim slot such as the Teltonika, but quite expensive.

Another way is to buy a 3g compatable router such as a TP-Link TL-MR3220, then plug into it a 3g usb dongle. Both will total about ?50 and will give you the flexibility of wireless and cat5 connection. There are other makes and models available that will give 4g too.

That way, you can connect your sat box to it via Ethernet and have wireless available for mobile devices.

Quick Edit:

After a quick google, you can get a package of Router, Dongle and a three sim from amazon for ?60 ---> http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3220-150Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B0043GWGV8