PDA

View Full Version : fitting carpet to stairs

mr.mojorisin
4th September, 2013, 08:34 PM
I'm soon to be fitting carpet to stairs. this includes lower landing and upper landing.
do I start at the top of stairs and work my way down..or do I start at the bottom and work my way up??
The landings and door cut outs are easy...lol
I've already got the gripper fitted to the tread and risers
any helpful tips most greatly appreciated

Cheers :)

M T Glass
4th September, 2013, 08:46 PM
It's just a thought but I'd say- keeping the carpet rolled up and working from the top down, unfolding the roll as you go.
Unless there is a turn on the stairs which might make it more awkward.

gmb45
4th September, 2013, 08:59 PM
at the top as said, if you do have a turn in the stairs you would have to stop fitting where the turn starts and start with a new piece of carpet which would need to be wider to get round the turn and will have to do the turns in seperate pieces of carpet, you wont see anything as the grippers on the treads and risers will hide any cuts.

smoggy
4th September, 2013, 10:55 PM
I do stairs individually (providing they are fitted the full width of the stair)
much easier to cut small pieces to fit snugly, as said you won't see any joins as they tuck in to the gripper rods

EDIT : above only applies if the carpet is not the same width as the stairs

terryc
7th September, 2013, 09:11 AM
ive just had my stairs done by a carpet fitter and as smoggy said,they cut the tread and riser individually.makes it a whole lot easier and quicker to fit

GavF123
9th May, 2015, 10:39 PM
I used to fit carpets and if you don't have a knee kicker then I'd have the roll cut to the width of the stairs, start at the top and work your way down. To keep the carpet tight you will need a hammer and a bolster. Start in the middle of the step and bolster to each edge. Pull the carpet down to the next step and repeat.
One tip is just measure the stair at top, middle and bottom as often it can be a slightly different width so don't cut all of your carpet to the same width without checking.