PDA

View Full Version : stuttering

jjbull
30th May, 2008, 09:10 PM
hi ive had my box for around 3 years ow and its spot on or should i say was, since we had that power cut on tuesday that affected a lot of the country my box is stuttering the odd cheap thrown in and goes blocky for a couple of seconds ive tried most images am on blade quad at the moment, ive checked my connections and they seem good no stray wires but i have noticed that when i plug the cable in i get tiny static sparks between the cable and the socket.
any experts help me out there

Femalelizzard
30th May, 2008, 11:02 PM
cant see it having anything to do with the power cut as its just the same as pulling the plug out when its on an everyday thing .

Check your signal status and connections do you have splitters etc.

id ignore the power cut theory thats not your problem it wouldnt have affected your box in anyway (im pretty sure)

jjbull
30th May, 2008, 11:12 PM
didnt think it would have but its the only thing that happened signal is fine 1 splitter whinc has been on for 3 years what about the small sparks when i plug or unplug the cable

blah2809
31st May, 2008, 09:24 AM
The power cut could have caused a power spike either when the power went off or went back on again. That could leave a charge on some of the tuner components which is causing the sparks.

Unplug the thing for about 10 mins and then start it up again and see if that helps. It may be that your tuner is fried though :(

jjbull
31st May, 2008, 01:02 PM
if thats the case could be in the market for the new 800hd sooner rather than later

Devilfish
31st May, 2008, 01:46 PM
Always power off before removing/connecting any coax connections, just in case.

jjbull
31st May, 2008, 01:57 PM
just thought id post the signals in case it helps anyone help me
BER is around 190000
Snr around 64000
and the bitrate is around 3800 but does drop to 2800 now and again

Devilfish
31st May, 2008, 02:36 PM
The SNR is fine but the BER is way too high, should be 0.

I think you have a strong signal, try using an attenuator before the box.

There's a variable attenuator here (http://www.beststuff.co.uk/coaxial_accessories.htm)