PDA

View Full Version : virus and problems after downloading software

footycard steve
19th September, 2013, 06:29 PM
i asked a question in the general pc section yesterday about trying to download an old football game and the 2 replies i got said i should be fine,i had a look today and found champ manager 93 on abandonware site it then said i needed to download DOSbox which i got inked to the download from sorceforge i got a download from mipony and wajam also showed up on my programmes when i tried to uninstall new programmes after getting a pop up from spybot which has never happened before so i did uninstall 2 or 3 items but when i try to uninstall mipony download manager packages i get asked if i want to let it make changes to the hard disk,i restarted the laptop and tried to run spybot but it wont launch now so i ran malwarebytes and it found 45 objects, i tried to remove the mipony manager again but again i got asked if i wanted to allow it to make changes to the hard disk so i just left it,i'm currently running a full microsoft security essentials scan which currently takes over 2 hours,any ideas what i should do to get rid of the mipony programme and get spybot working again once the scan has finished ?

ajax2061
19th September, 2013, 07:08 PM
try combofix then try glary utls, if that fails then look to see if there is info on manual uninstalls

footycard steve
20th September, 2013, 09:51 AM
sorry ajax i dont know about the things you suggested,after essentials scan ended it found nothing and i still couldn't launch spybot so i uninstalled it and downloaded it again (went from version 1.62 to 2.1) ran it and it found nothing then tried malwarebytes again and it found 20 objects so i made sure i clicked on every object found to be removed and it asked for a restart,i did yet another malwarebytes scan and this time it found no objects i still have the mipony manager but maybe that wasnt the roblem? i'm going to do another malwarebytes scan now and see if i get the all clear again.

M T Glass
24th September, 2013, 09:11 PM
Try 'System restore' to a time before you had the downloads if the virus permits.

M T Glass
24th September, 2013, 09:19 PM
I had a completely different problem to yours which popped up an 'invalid image' message to everything I clicked on. Tried all the 'cleaners' and finally got rid of the file which was in 'program files' when nothing was running to activate it by moving the file out of 'program files' to a USB stick and deleted it into cyber space by clicking delete on the key board. But I stress that it was completely different to your problem though may be worth a look. It contained a dll file which was causing the activation.

cunny
25th September, 2013, 09:26 PM
Download avast free. Do a boot time scan. This should locate any virus and delete it.

You could be better with fresh instal of windows

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

koppit
4th October, 2013, 04:44 PM
not meaning to sound patronizing but are you running your antimalware progs in safe mode

footycard steve
9th October, 2013, 11:43 AM
not meaning to sound patronizing but are you running your antimalware progs in safe mode
i dont have much knowhow with computers just running the scans after finished browsing malwarebytes keeps finding the same 1 object every couple of days with clean scans in between,i'm not sure whats happened with spybot as that used to only take about 12 mins for a full scan but the newer version i downloaded wants to take hours so i've not been using it.
i found an old post in this section where grizz helped me through a factory reset but i think i get the option to restore to an earlier date pre-virus/problems so i might try that.

lagerland
9th October, 2013, 11:51 AM
Or back everything up you want and do a fresh install,that will sort it m8......................

footycard steve
10th October, 2013, 11:23 AM
Or back everything up you want and do a fresh install,that will sort it m8......................
yes i do realise thats the best but i have hundreds if not thousands of scans of football cards sorted into different files/categories in my pics and i dont remember how to put them on memory stick or if the memory stick will still work as i sucked it up the hoover a few weeks ago!

lagerland
10th October, 2013, 11:27 AM
Drag and drop or copy and paste or cut and paste.If your on xp make sure no file you is any bigger than 3.5gb m8.There pretty robust memory sticks ive ad a few go through the wash and still working..............

footycard steve
10th October, 2013, 12:19 PM
i've just tried to restore to an earlier date and the earliest date it showed was the 20th sept so i went for that but after it had finished running i got this error message SYSTEM RESTORE DID NOT COMPLETE SUCCESSFULLY YOUR COMPUTER FILES AND SETTINGS WERE NOT CHANGED.
DETAILS
SYSTEM RESTORE FAILED TO EXTRACT FILE
(c;\windows\assembly\nativeimago_v2.0.50727\presen tationframewo#\90ad;
from the restore point.
the restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.

it gave me more options to try advanced etc but i just left it as i dont understand it and i'm certainly not advanced just very very basic on computers so it looks like a full factory restore is the only option, will i be able to save 7 zip etc to the memory stick and what about getting anti-virus and malwarebytes from new again after restore?

Nutsandbolts
10th October, 2013, 10:02 PM
Hi. Dont worry about 7 zip and antivirus as you can download them again after restore. If i were you i would try and boot the computer in safe mode and run a virus scan and delete corrupt programs etc. To boot in safe mode press F8 key as the computer is booting up. Hope this helps you.

Regards.

lagerland
11th October, 2013, 07:49 AM
Ok 4get system restore 4 now becuase ive had virusies that will switch it off anyway.Check to see if your system has a factory default setting m8,this option will put it back to as it came when new let us know.................

footycard steve
11th October, 2013, 09:40 AM
i have started microsoft essentials scan this morning in safe mode but it has red warning bar pc status at risk is this just normal with being in safe mode,lagerland yes i have done a factory re-set a couple of years ago when grizz helped me through it,after essentials has finished i plan to run malwarebytes but will i still be able yo update it before i run the scan?

by the way i'm using my old computer to get online.

footycard steve
11th October, 2013, 12:10 PM
MSE found nothing,didnt run malwarebytes as i did a search and it said not to run in safe mode.

lagerland
11th October, 2013, 12:24 PM
i have started microsoft essentials scan this morning in safe mode but it has red warning bar pc status at risk is this just normal with being in safe mode,lagerland yes i have done a factory re-set a couple of years ago when grizz helped me through it,after essentials has finished i plan to run malwarebytes but will i still be able yo update it before i run the scan?

by the way i'm using my old computer to get online.

Wouldnt bother with malwarebytes m8 does what is says picks up maleware not viruses.I really would go for the factory rest again m8 it will solve you problems once and 4 all........................

wally6529
11th October, 2013, 05:46 PM
you said you did a system restore and it said it was not successful, try and do another system restore in safe mode this should help it has worked for me. Have you tried to google combofix if you do "ONLY" download it from
no other site.save it to your desktop or move it to desktop, switch off your antivirus first, or maybe temporary disable it to a restart or something, and then close everything down. once you start combofix do nothing until your pc starts up again, this can take some time so be patient. Hope this helps.

wally6529
11th October, 2013, 06:27 PM
i've just tried to restore to an earlier date and the earliest date it showed was the 20th sept so i went for that but after it had finished running i got this error message SYSTEM RESTORE DID NOT COMPLETE SUCCESSFULLY YOUR COMPUTER FILES AND SETTINGS WERE NOT CHANGED.
DETAILS
SYSTEM RESTORE FAILED TO EXTRACT FILE
(c;\windows\assembly\nativeimago_v2.0.50727\presen tationframewo#\90ad;
from the restore point.
the restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.

it gave me more options to try advanced etc but i just left it as i dont understand it and i'm certainly not advanced just very very basic on computers so it looks like a full factory restore is the only option, will i be able to save 7 zip etc to the memory stick and what about getting anti-virus and malwarebytes from new again after restore?
after the restore you done above do it again, ignore options shown switch off at mains and do another restore. another thing you need to try is go to program files have look see what has been added since the day before you done the above that can be connected to the "failed to extract file"" as above and delete. also clean the registry of any of the game and other stuff you downloaded. First go to Run type in regedit, click, then hkey local machine, then software, then look down list for what you think is connected, then delete. hope this helps.

footycard steve
16th October, 2013, 04:10 PM
attempting full re-store now,hopefully have pics saved to usb stick.

sattv5
17th October, 2013, 01:23 AM
Mipony is a downloader manager which installs a load of junk on your PC under the guise of helping you to download files quicker, often you will find a box next to the file you are trying to download that will let you download the file without using any download managers.

I am uploading the game for you here so you dont have to search for it again, I have tested it viruses and its clean as a whistle.

if you follow the instructions as well you wil be sorted in no time.

Download the zip file I have uploded for you
copy the folder footie to the root of your C drive
install Dos Box
when its finished installing click on the icon it has put on the desktop
a couple of boxes will open go to the one with the big blue box in it
type the following information in to it.

when you see Z:\>
type mount c c:\footie
so the line looks like this Z:\>mount c c:\footie
then press enter
it will say Drive C is mounted as local directory c:\footie\
Now type in C:\
sothe line will look like this Z:\>c:\
then press enter
The line will now look like this c:\>
now type in cmexe.exe
so the e line looks like this c:\>cmexe.exe
Then press enter

Your Game will now start

The security is stil intact in the game so if you look at the Championship Manger result code PDF File
it will give you the answers that the game asks before it runs properly

Have fun!!!

footycard steve
21st October, 2013, 09:03 PM
i had a pm from a junior member who said they had formatted a disc for me and was sending it out last monday after i gave him my address but since then nothing and he's not replied to my pm's, is there any chance this member was after my details (maybe in connection to the malware that had been found on earlier scans) or am i just a bit paranoid?

neilsignum
26th October, 2013, 12:37 AM
i had a pm from a junior member who said they had formatted a disc for me and was sending it out last monday after i gave him my address but since then nothing and he's not replied to my pm's, is there any chance this member was after my details (maybe in connection to the malware that had been found on earlier scans) or am i just a bit paranoid?

What disc (or indeed disk) has (s)he sent you (but stuck in mail?) and what do you think it might do?
Indeed what could he/she do with your name/address, this is public anyway, your name and address is at the local library (electoral register) anyway!

You downloaded a file from a website albeit with some added crap you decided 'oh hang on I wanted something for nothing' and then you had a bit of a panic when the added crap (quite correctly) said it was changing 'stuff' as it tried to remove itself - nasty stuff wont warn you! Your download originally warned you it was doing something - you just ignored that bit - we all do!)

I think you need to let the download manager uninstall itself and be done with it - none of your scans that find 300 things mean a damn thing unless you did them right before you do anything, as otherwise the 300 things might have been there all along...

me

xxx

'put it back in the box and return it'

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

binary
26th December, 2013, 01:09 PM
Hi if your still having problem try System Files - SFC Command (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html)
the information is also good for 32bit, i had a problem where something keep reducing my hard drive memory
following this tutorial i no longer have this problem