PDA

View Full Version : Summer forecast 2009

harry1986
7th May, 2009, 12:34 PM
The coming summer is 'odds on for a barbecue summer', according to long-range forecasts. Summer temperatures across the UK are likely to be warmer than average and rainfall near or below average for the three months of summer.

Chief Meteorologist at the Met Office, Ewen McCallum, said: "After two disappointingly-wet summers, the signs are much more promising this year. We can expect times when temperatures will be above 30 ?C, something we hardly saw at all last year."

Although the forecast is for a drier and warmer summer than average it does not rule out the chances of seeing some heavy downpours at times. However, a repeat of the wet summers of 2007 and 2008 is unlikely.

Government Services Director, Rob Varley, said: "Our long-range forecasts are proving useful to a range of people, such as emergency planners and the water industry, in order to help them plan ahead. They are not forecasts which can be used to plan a summer holiday or inform an outdoor event."

Met Office seasonal forecasts are just one part of the jigsaw in the range of forecasts provided, complementing our shorter-range forecasts and supporting our role, as the nation's official weather forecaster, to help everyone make the most of the weather.

The Met Office works with the Environment Agency, SEPA, the NHS and others across government to ensure that we are ready to meet the challenges that severe weather may present us at any time of the year.

forntida
7th May, 2009, 01:47 PM
The coming summer is 'odds on for a barbecue summer', according to long-range forecasts. Summer temperatures across the UK are likely to be warmer than average and rainfall near or below average for the three months of summer.

Chief Meteorologist at the Met Office, Ewen McCallum, said: "After two disappointingly-wet summers, the signs are much more promising this year. We can expect times when temperatures will be above 30 ?C, something we hardly saw at all last year."

Although the forecast is for a drier and warmer summer than average it does not rule out the chances of seeing some heavy downpours at times. However, a repeat of the wet summers of 2007 and 2008 is unlikely.

Government Services Director, Rob Varley, said: "Our long-range forecasts are proving useful to a range of people, such as emergency planners and the water industry, in order to help them plan ahead. They are not forecasts which can be used to plan a summer holiday or inform an outdoor event."

Met Office seasonal forecasts are just one part of the jigsaw in the range of forecasts provided, complementing our shorter-range forecasts and supporting our role, as the nation's official weather forecaster, to help everyone make the most of the weather.

The Met Office works with the Environment Agency, SEPA, the NHS and others across government to ensure that we are ready to meet the challenges that severe weather may present us at any time of the year.

What country are we talking about here? I was down the seafront this morning,. It was that cold only one seagull was airborne.:roflmao:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/bigboab/DSC_0006.jpg

Evastar
7th May, 2009, 03:14 PM
I really hope they are right, could do with a bit of sun for a change! :jiggin:

chroma
7th May, 2009, 03:47 PM
its wet, people moan.
its dry, hosepipe bans go into force because England has no water. people moan.
its hot, idiot brittons wind up in hospital because they fail to realise the sun is not your friend. people moan.

in synopsis, its safe to assume people will moan.
:)

cespa
7th May, 2009, 04:32 PM
just trying out something new

Mr Pumpy
7th May, 2009, 05:51 PM
What a load of tripe, how on earth can they forecast the weather for the summer.
Most of the time they can't even tell us what its going to be like in the next few days, never mind the next few months.

That is all.

bugaloo41
7th May, 2009, 06:28 PM
With Pumpy on this one - really hope we get a good one but wont hold my breath.

By the way that saying "a load of tripe" is bollocks Pumpy. It insinuates that tripe is well....tripe aka sh.it. Of course tripe is tremendous and is infact a well known and brilliant hangover cure (at least in my house).

BigBadBren
7th May, 2009, 06:29 PM
A loooong hoooot summer please

Lainie
7th May, 2009, 07:20 PM
i hope it is nice this summer but does that mean more wasps does it??

harry1986
7th May, 2009, 09:05 PM
SUMMER TO HIT UK SOON CANT WAIT :)

chroma
8th May, 2009, 12:58 AM
What a load of tripe, how on earth can they forecast the weather for the summer.
Most of the time they can't even tell us what its going to be like in the next few days, never mind the next few months.
That is all.

They plot all the data regarding windspped and barometric pressure into a few parallel networked cray supercomputers.
hook in a feed from 300 or so geostationary satilites that check cloud density and track their movements.
next they feed in data from oceanic bouys along well known currents like el nino and plot that in too.

then using a complicated series of mathmatical equations that would take litteraly a few eons to work out with a slide rule they rouse up the hamsters to drive the machine and they wait.
soon enough the printer burrs to life and starts spewing out reams of meteorological notations to which the weatherman promptly bins and looks outside to a piece of string hanging from a tree branch in the carpark.

if its hanging down and well lit its safe to assume its calm and sunny, darkened then its overcast. if its sideways its windy, dripping its raining and if its a little fatter then its snowing. the only real trouble is fathoming if you cant see the string from smudgy glasses or actual fog.

this is how the weather actualy gets predicted.

Mr Pumpy
8th May, 2009, 04:46 PM
With Pumpy on this one - really hope we get a good one but wont hold my breath.

By the way that saying "a load of tripe" is bollocks Pumpy. It insinuates that tripe is well....tripe aka sh.it. Of course tripe is tremendous and is infact a well known and brilliant hangover cure (at least in my house).

Well, I agree that certain parts of a cow can be rather tasty, I have to draw the line at eating its stomach.

Can you actually still get it????

Mr Pumpy
8th May, 2009, 04:50 PM
Bill foggitt could forecast the weather better than they can now, just by the way frog spawn was laying in his pond. lol

Evastar
9th May, 2009, 12:26 AM
Well, I agree that certain parts of a cow can be rather tasty, I have to draw the line at eating its stomach.

Can you actually still get it????

Is it not the lining of a sheep's stomach?

Mr Pumpy
9th May, 2009, 08:33 PM
Is it not the lining of a sheep's stomach?

Whatever it is i'm sure its not meant to be eaten. :)

jobelu
9th May, 2009, 10:26 PM
Awful offal.