PDA

View Full Version : advice needed

lee11168
8th October, 2013, 09:34 AM
I have eventually got around the wife to let me go motorised and was wondering if these are any good {Fracarro penta 68cm sat dish} I have been offered this.Been told the reception is equivellent to the triax td88. Im only allowed to go upto 80cm my other option is Triax 78cm Motorised Satellite DIsh Kit | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271169166829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) also has anybody any idea how much it will be to install the system {bb3 area} I have a south facing property if that helps

blueflash234
8th October, 2013, 01:03 PM
the 78 cm would be better, in the sat game bigger really is better,but also look at the gibertini 85 cm which is a good dish also,i don't know where darwen is but the further north you are the bigger the dish you will need to to pick up the most common sats

P&D
8th October, 2013, 01:53 PM
Hi this is the setup i bought if it helps....i'm not a million miles away from you & it get the sat's i want Technomate 97cm Motorised Solid Satellite Dish Pack (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Satallite-Dishes/satelite-dish-packs/technomate-97cm-motorised-solid-dish-pack)

Benzade
8th October, 2013, 04:38 PM
A south facing property is always an advantage I live in Wigan so not a million miles from you and get great reception on most of the common sats although I do have a 1m dish. Try and go to the maximum size of dish you are allowed as size is important in this case. Who's put the 80cm size sanction on you your Landlord or your Wife? As i'm sure you are allowed to go up to 1m without needing planning permission provided it isn't breaking the skyline (I.e. stuck on a ruddy great pole above the roof/ridge tiles) but I could be wrong and I'm sure some legal eagle will correct me if I am on this.

digicon
8th October, 2013, 06:51 PM
Planning Laws allow a 1m diameter antenna installed above or below your roof line as long as it does not protrude above ridge height

stegrens
8th October, 2013, 07:45 PM
just get a scaffolding bar and have it at the bottom of the garden

Benzade
9th October, 2013, 08:28 AM
Still classed as a "fixed dish" I believe Stegrens if your dish is bigger than 1m irrespective of where you place it on your property. On that theory I could stick an ex MOD radar dish at the bottom of my garden if I so wished.
Again I'm sure Digicon is more up to speed on this than I am.

To be honest it all depends on your location, neighbours and how arsed or well up on the planning laws they are. I live in a quiet cul de sac and due to the angle my house has been built in relation to the satellite arc I've put my self installed Sly dish above the ridge height on my house as I didn't want it blighting the rear wall and IMO it looks neater and is out of the way up there. Technically speaking though it's breaking planning regs. However it's been up there 6 years now and no one has queried or complained about it.

lee11168
9th October, 2013, 09:31 AM
im goingto go with the triax 78 its just to keep my ears ringing from the wife has anybody any idea of a price to fit one {rough est} cant stand ladders so me fitting is out of the question

ramjet
9th October, 2013, 09:50 AM
im goingto go with the triax 78 its just to keep my ears ringing from the wife has anybody any idea of a price to fit one {rough est} cant stand ladders so me fitting is out of the question

prices vary enourmously according to if its a professional fitter doing it (like digicon) or just an amateur or aerial installer who dont always have the necessary expertise

I would think it would cost between ?50 to ?150 depending on the above and typically a decent installer may charge around ?100 to ?150 I would have thought, but I may be wrong, but there again I did my own so in my case it cost nothing at all, apart from time, and all the parts of course

(there is more to buy than just a dish, and more than a dish and motor) typically you need T-K brackets, rawlplugs and coachbolts , cable , cable clips , a piece of scaffold tubing, exhaust clamp u-bolts or the V shaped U bolts as used for this task, F connectors , spirit level, spanners, ladders , screwdrivers , tape , zip ties etc

digicon
9th October, 2013, 10:17 AM

If you do have a go at Fitting the system yourself then there is an excellent tutorial guide in the Red Sticky's in this very section as well as very informative members such as ramjet,benzade,mdt etc... who have all installed there own systems as pointed out in this very thread if you do come unstuck then i am sure they wont mind you bending there ears for a little advice.

Ths way you will have had the satisfaction that you did this youself and saved quite a bit of money in the long run.

Regards

Benzade
9th October, 2013, 02:48 PM
Obviously Lee none of us know the exact layout of your property but does the dish have to be attached to the wall?
One advantage of Stegrens idea of placing the dish on a pole in your garden is you can easily get at it to maintain it without using ladders. You could even camouflage the dish to blend in with any existing shrubbery/background as long as it's south facing by respraying the dish to the correct colour. This idea if practical may allow you to go that little bit bigger in dish size if your missus is worried about the impact of a huge dish on the house.

Besides the satisfaction of installing a system yourself as mentioned by Digicon. By doing the job yourself you also know it's been done correctly rather than playing Russian roulette when choosing someone out of the Yellow pages at random who may or may not fully know what they are doing.
Also should you have problems in the future with your dish you will have first hand knowledge of how it was set up because you installed it rather than being none the wiser after the dish installer has left then timid of altering any settings in case "you mess it up."

lee11168
9th October, 2013, 03:01 PM
looking at profiles digicon seems to be the man. any chance you can look at the job then I can decide what my options are

digicon
11th October, 2013, 12:51 PM
Assuming i have the correct House, then you should have a very good ARC for an 80cm