PDA

View Full Version : play avi mpeg files on ps3

sken
8th May, 2009, 04:36 PM
is it possible to play avi mpeg files on ps3 ...?

Swampyjocks
13th May, 2009, 08:20 PM
Plays avi's, mpeg4 and most xvids

dik
14th May, 2009, 02:04 PM
use this ps3mediaserver - Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/) It will allow you to stream almost any video type to your ps3 and it's free!!

PS3 Media Server

PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.
Current features

Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
Real-time video transcoding of MKV/FLV/OGM/AVI, etc.
Direct streaming of DTS / DTS-HD core to the receiver
Remux H264/MPEG2 video and all audio tracks to AC3/DTS/LPCM in real time with tsMuxer when H264 is PS3/Level4.1 compliant
Full seeking support when transcoding
DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
Thumbnail generation for Videos
You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
Simple streaming of formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG)
Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders
Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
Basic Xbox360 support
FLAC 96kHz/24bits/5.1 support
Windows Only: DVR-MS remuxer and AviSynth alternative transcoder support

ozanex
20th June, 2009, 10:15 PM

I dont think it's possible

mes king
17th July, 2009, 06:53 PM
plays xvid avi some windows media files mpeg 1 mpeg 2 mpeg 4 and even some flash files.

Raven
27th July, 2009, 12:23 AM
dik is right, just use ps3 media server, it will solve most all of your video playback issues or worries including .mkv support.....also you don't need a massive connection, I only have a basic internet connection (3 mb) and it's running wirelessly from the router downstairs, and I'm able to stream just about anything from my PC to my PS3 wirelessly which are both next to each other but both connected to the router wirelessly that's downstairs - anyhow there isn't much tweaking needed at all, I only need to tweak it a little bit more now for fast action 1080p movies but everything else plays back flawlessly.

But you need either a decent CPU or decent internet connection speed, ideally both obviously, I have a decent dual core CPU and I'm struggling a little bit with 1080p content wirelessly but only for fast action scenes but is otherwise fine - standard definition movies and playback should be fine regardless of CPU or internet speed. But I cannot be sure.

Gorfinkle
13th August, 2009, 02:45 PM
Works very well with the Xbox 360

Raven
13th August, 2009, 09:14 PM
What does ? ;)

BobPresto
14th August, 2009, 02:23 PM
Thanx for the info