PDA

View Full Version : Open Media 500cs Receiver

Devilfish
1st June, 2008, 04:07 PM
Look out folks...there's a new receiver on the way!

Combined cable and satellite tuners in the one neat little package.

Keep an eye out...more to follow! :)

father ted
1st June, 2008, 04:10 PM
keep us informed m8 ,need a new toy

kinel
1st June, 2008, 08:18 PM
Any idea as to how much they will retail at.

Devilfish
1st June, 2008, 08:35 PM
I'll let the main seller fill you in with all the details when he gets a chance. :)

father ted
1st June, 2008, 08:43 PM
I'll let the main seller fill you in with all the details when he gets a chance. :)

:roflmao:youd better not get one b4 me

delboy13
1st June, 2008, 09:18 PM
sounds really good was thinking of getting in to satellite but i will wait and see what this recievers like nice to have both tuners in one. missus always telling me behind tv looks untidy cables all over the place. maybe with this i can get rid of dreambox and sky box and just have one there. i only have the free channels on sky cancelled my subscription ages ago use it for radio

Devilfish
1st June, 2008, 09:28 PM
:roflmao:youd better not get one b4 me

Too late lol.

father ted
1st June, 2008, 09:44 PM
Too late lol.

:roflmao:barsteward am goona come and see you while your at work

aftermath
1st June, 2008, 10:02 PM
mine will be here Tuesday, cant wait.

thommo
1st June, 2008, 10:03 PM

eh how you manage that. tut tut tut.

father ted
1st June, 2008, 10:16 PM

eh how you manage that. tut tut tut.

i want to know too :roflmao:

aftermath
1st June, 2008, 10:26 PM
Well its like this....................................

joke

father ted
1st June, 2008, 10:33 PM
Well its like this....................................

joke

thommo can you kick aftermath in the crotch for me :roflmao:

single
2nd June, 2008, 10:15 AM
This is a open source project?

If any cdk is avaiable please share it...

CU and Regard's.

Single

max_gee
2nd June, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hi All

I will post some pics and more info about this box later on tonight.

It will be available on ebay from various sellers and from my site www.dvb-shop.co.uk soon. The rrp is ?115 + pnp and for that you get :-

1) A Linux receiver that is compatible with all the 500 sat and cable images that are out there.
2) It has 2 x scart sockets
3) It has ch+ / ch- controls from on the front
4) It has 2 flash IC's onboard, 1 for the sat & 1 for the cable image.
5) It has the newer type cable tuner (scre on type) so less freezing.
5) It comes pre loaded with a custom free-to-air neutrino or enigma image that was developed for this box.

Any more questions then feel free to post here

JohnO1234
2nd June, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hmm, will this include HD support as well, considering that sat has good HD support and VM are "getting" 40 new HD channels.

JohnO

Curious123
2nd June, 2008, 01:25 PM
Am I right in assuming that this has dual tuners i.e one for sat and one for cable similar to the Dm7025 rather a plugable tuner similar to the Dm600? What is the RAM for this box? Any chance you could put up the full specs up here?

Devilfish
2nd June, 2008, 03:28 PM
If you think of it as a dm500, that's what you're getting.

Only with the exception of a cable and sat tuner, not plug and play.
2 x scarts
2 x flash ic

There's a switch at the back of the receiver to switch between satellite and cable, turn off box, switch mode, reboot and it will load whichever image you have in that flash. So you can have one image for satellite and another for cable, or same for both.

zaf786
2nd June, 2008, 03:39 PM
Hi i sold my 500c i wait for some more feedback then i might consider this machine as replacement

Devilfish
2nd June, 2008, 03:43 PM
It's good if you have cable and sat and are limited for space.

I've never tried a 7025 but there's not as much support for it as the 500.

Curious123
2nd June, 2008, 04:34 PM
I am a little surprised they didn't go for an internal hard drive. Thanks for the info DF.

father ted
2nd June, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hi All

I will post some pics and more info about this box later on tonight.

It will be available on ebay from various sellers and from my site www.dvb-shop.co.uk soon. The rrp is ?115 + pnp and for that you get :-

1) A Linux receiver that is compatible with all the 500 sat and cable images that are out there.
2) It has 2 x scart sockets
3) It has ch+ / ch- controls from on the front
4) It has 2 flash IC's onboard, 1 for the sat & 1 for the cable image.
5) It has the newer type cable tuner (scre on type) so less freezing.
5) It comes pre loaded with a custom free-to-air neutrino or enigma image that was developed for this box.

Any more questions then feel free to post here

am interested youve wetted my appetite :party : will it work on a motorised dish?

kinel
2nd June, 2008, 06:17 PM
Has we all are aware certain forums have closed there cable sections,so lets say we get into this scenario again.Cc's change method of encryption,will there be support to put these issue's right.If forums decided to pull cable sections again,would there be support elsewhere.

Devilfish
2nd June, 2008, 06:32 PM
I believe this receiver is sold as a FTA receiver, as is the dreambox and other boxes. We do not and will not allow keys or roms to be posted on this site.

But we will do our best to help you out. ;)

And if it comes down to a members box getting all the channels or the site staying online, I think I know which one I'd choose.

kinel
2nd June, 2008, 07:22 PM
So i'll take that as a yes then:)

aftermath
3rd June, 2008, 04:19 PM
Just an appetiser on the open:media box, a few pics of it here.

Notice the size compared to a DM500

max_gee
3rd June, 2008, 07:03 PM
Just an appetiser on the open:media box, a few pics of it here.

Notice the size compared to a DM500

Thanks for postinging pics, What do you think of the neutrino image that was loaded on? or did u change it over for an enigma based 1.

I Will post more pics tonight, with screen shots etc.

aftermath
3rd June, 2008, 07:27 PM
i stayed with the DK image max, might do a factory reset, and check the neutrino one out m8
hmnn, i didnt back up the neutrino image

C64
3rd June, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hmmm.

The prospect of a cheap dual tuner box got me excited, but I don't like the idea of running two independant images which talk to each tuner independantly. I'd have prefered a single image capable of accessing both tuners without the need for a hard reset.

I still like the idea of dual flash chips, very handy for eejits like me who like to play around with shit, when we ~~~~ up one image we boot into the alternative chip and fix things from there. :)

This summer I promised myself a new Linux Satellite HDTV box, but if the price is right I may be tempted to buy this box instead and leave he HDTV until after Xmas.

Looking good.

aftermath
3rd June, 2008, 10:58 PM
there is 2 chips for images witchy, 1 for cable and 1 for sat.

there is a switch on the back of the box, so you can set it to sat or cable.

smirnoff_rules
3rd June, 2008, 11:05 PM
dont think u can ask for better can u , the same image on the both at the turn of a switch

max_gee
3rd June, 2008, 11:32 PM
Some screen shots of the FTA Neutrino Image / Enigma to come shortly :P

father ted
4th June, 2008, 06:51 AM
i want one ...................now ,this minute,cant wait ,gimme gimme gimme

osborne82
4th June, 2008, 10:02 AM
um neutrino looks intresting :)
are the sources available for this box? wouldnt mind making a few images for it, what about lcars has this been ported over too ?

cheers

osborne82

Devilfish
4th June, 2008, 02:23 PM
It runs on Dm500 images m8. :)

Curious123
4th June, 2008, 04:26 PM
I am probably completely missing the point here as you guys are all excited about this box. This box has switch which you need to flick to go from one tuner to another but wouldn't you be better off having two DM500 next to each other and get the same result for the same price especially if you brought them fom China? Also on the satellite side if you decide to get into the CS side than your cable viewing will impede CS of your satellite box because your satellite box will be offline. Another point is that I think it is great to have two tuners but unlike the Dm7025 you cannot watch one channel and record another. Sorry guys not trying to be negative about this box but I just cannot see the same benefits as you guys.

max_gee
4th June, 2008, 08:53 PM
There are a few benefits comapred to a standard 500,

1) There are 2 scarts so u can connect vcr/dvd recorder to it (not a biggy but its there)

2) The open media can safely drive a motorised system, Its not recommended that a motorised system should be connected to a normal DM500 as it runs of a 12v 1 amp power pack.

3) It has the ch+ / ch - controls (not a biggy but its there)

4) Its 2 box's in 1 (Originally we thought of having interchangeable tuners, like the 600 but decided to have them in 1 unit) The main idea is if the cable scene went tits up then your not left with a door stop.

5) for the rrp of ?110 - ?115 + pnp, its not a bad bit of kit, yes the 7025 is the dogs bollocks but u get what u pay for, plus theres more images available for the 500 then the 7025.

6) Not every one is comfortable ordering a box from china, if u have a problem or need to send it back then you probably end up paying more in return pnp etc.

We all know that u can get clones for all box's from china, inc Eurovox, starview 3 and dream 500 / 600 for under half the rrp price, but like I said not every 1 wants to go down that route.

cryogenic
5th June, 2008, 12:22 AM
Hi max, will have update to you tomorrow.

delboy13
5th June, 2008, 10:29 AM
when does it go on sale

max_gee
5th June, 2008, 11:01 AM
We are aiming for monday, Just finalising the sat image and it should be ready to go.

father ted
5th June, 2008, 11:02 AM
We are aiming for monday, Just finalising the sat image and it should be ready to go.

dont know if i can wait that long :roflmao:

calisto
5th June, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi max, will have update to you tomorrow.

So you making an image for this box m8????

ronaldo121
6th June, 2008, 01:28 AM
damn sounds interesting shouldn't have ordered my dreambox ~~~~l

Jocky666
7th June, 2008, 12:44 PM
Guys I'm new to sat though have been around the cable scene for a while and am well aware of the capabilities of obtaining channels etc. from VM!
However I have no Idea of what I can find via satelite i.e. Sly channels racetech feeds etc.
I had a look a a system a while back as the race tech feeds aren't all encrypted though you need a sysrem capable of transverse?? Tracking (I think its transverse but I'm not sure LOL..

So come on guys why would I take up satellite instead of or along side VM??

Jocky

mark015
8th June, 2008, 06:28 PM
shame u have to get up off the chair to change between sat/cable switch at back nonsense shame it cant be dun from remote.lol...anyways this box does sound very interesting. i shalll be tempted to get one of these ...

Curious123
8th June, 2008, 06:53 PM
Guys I'm new to sat though have been around the cable scene for a while and am well aware of the capabilities of obtaining channels etc. from VM!
However I have no Idea of what I can find via satelite i.e. Sly channels racetech feeds etc.
I had a look a a system a while back as the race tech feeds aren't all encrypted though you need a sysrem capable of transverse?? Tracking (I think its transverse but I'm not sure LOL..

So come on guys why would I take up satellite instead of or along side VM??

Jocky
All the films, footy, documentaries and ~~~~ you could watch,
Check out this thread;

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3459

thommo
8th June, 2008, 06:55 PM
i considered it but i think im waiting to get a dm800 as its got hd and i,ll keep my hd sat box, hd swings it for me i cant go back to normal tv now and i agree it would have been nice not to have to get up to flick a switch.

still a great box tho at a good price compared to some boxes out there.

westkill
9th June, 2008, 07:34 AM
im the same as thommo on this one, might treat me old man to one lol

jacob
9th June, 2008, 09:19 AM
will HD and component/hdmi be implemented at some point?

max_gee
9th June, 2008, 12:11 PM
There is no plans for HD at the moment for the current model as the HD processor is a little pricey and will increase the price by quite a bit.

For this model, the idea is to give people an alternate to a 500c /s with more features for the same sorta price.

They are now available for ?110 + pnp, pm me if nay 1 wants 1

blahdragon
11th June, 2008, 08:05 PM
just bought one today, normally have only used dboxes and found this a joy to use, and at the same time no crap from the missus about space !

aftermath
11th June, 2008, 08:13 PM
glad you like it m8, you gonna do both sat and c ?

blahdragon
11th June, 2008, 08:23 PM
never used the sat on this type of box before so thought it would be a starting point to mess around with, I have a 1m dish bolted onto the wall outside with a diseq motor and it has been stuck on astra for the last year! so guess its time to start opening my horizons.

cryogenic
12th June, 2008, 12:38 AM
So you making an image for this box m8????

might be lol

great box!!

max_gee
12th June, 2008, 01:00 AM
No More pm's please

I have set up an ebay page for this if any body has any questions plz post here on this forum

Ebay Page :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200230851415&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=010

Comes pre-installed with a FTA Neutrino Image (thanks to Cryo for all his time and hard work )

Enigma image to follow shortly (or even better you can use the DK v1 image thats in the downloads section)

rickets
13th June, 2008, 12:07 PM
Looks like a tinkerer's dream. I think its time to sell the 500c and get one of these babies. Curious has good points but improved pic quality would be a boon and frankly its another cool gizmo....

One question...

If I were to create a backup of of Cyro's neutrino on this box can I then use this on a 500c ? Ie if i sell my sole dm500 and get this can I still provide support to my mates who have a 500c easily ?

Devilfish
13th June, 2008, 12:55 PM
The open media 500cs is basically a 500 with added extras, so yes, all your backed up images from this receiver will work on a 500 and vice versa.

rickets
13th June, 2008, 12:59 PM
excellent - I will have a sniff then, will flog the 500c now.

aftermath
18th June, 2008, 03:17 PM
ftp keys folder to /var
and the nagraroms to the scce folder
re boot

thommo
18th June, 2008, 03:19 PM
just bought one of these my self seems a nice bit of kit.but what image do u use to get cable working tried ftping keys over still dont work.

about 3 posts up from your question.

The open media 500cs is basically a 500 with added extras, so yes, all your backed up images from this receiver will work on a 500 and vice versa.

Migz
20th June, 2008, 04:38 PM
is the picture quality on this box the same as the 500c

calisto
20th June, 2008, 06:07 PM
Hi,

Is this box ok for c**d sharing on of more like card leeching at my end cos if it does am thinking of getting into sat side as well.

Thanks

<--calisto added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...-->

There is no plans for HD at the moment for the current model as the HD processor is a little pricey and will increase the price by quite a bit.

Would that be an increase upto the price of a DM 800?

Thanks

aftermath
20th June, 2008, 06:50 PM
is the picture quality on this box the same as the 500c

Yes mate it is the same pic quality as the 500c, in fact its based on the 500c and the 500s, so all images for those will work on this.

rickets
21st June, 2008, 09:45 AM
Got mine but no sooner did I receive it than I gave it away as my satellite setup means its wasted on me at the present. Nice piece of kit though. Guy who owns it now is a total tech head and will no doubt come up with all sorts of questions for me soon to which I don't know the answer. Meh .....

father ted
21st June, 2008, 12:29 PM
Got mine but no sooner did I receive it than I gave it away as my satellite setup means its wasted on me at the present. Nice piece of kit though. Guy who owns it now is a total tech head and will no doubt come up with all sorts of questions for me soon to which I don't know the answer. Meh .....

well get him on here and he can teach me lol

father ted
23rd June, 2008, 02:22 PM
ok bit of help here please,have installed dish with motor and tested it it runs from south to west np and south east np (manualy)i have dk image on it and when i tell it to go to thor it turns then goes back to the zero position?the bracket it plumb on every way and am sure ive put in the correct settings for lat/long Lat: 56:00:37N (56.01031)
Lon: 3:42:37W (-3.71039)

Curious123
24th June, 2008, 12:14 AM
Thor is on 0.8W so from the looks of it seems to be doing what is supposed to do. Looking at your second picture I think your dish is pointing to high towards the sky. Try lowering it towards the groun d a little and then move it half an inch manually side to side very very slowly to see if the signal rises or drops when it is BBC World, Thor. Might be best to get the wife to shout out whilst you move the dish.

wiz569
25th June, 2008, 04:31 PM
Has anybody tried recording to pc with this box yet?
Was just wondering if its any better then the DM500c for this as that was one of the annoying faults of the DM.

punit1
27th June, 2008, 04:30 PM
:withstupid::elefant:does box need the latestupdates like eurovox if so wer do u get it

Curious123
27th June, 2008, 09:30 PM
This box is a clone dreambox so you put on the updates that go with the dreambox and nothing whatsoever like the eurovox.

jay
29th June, 2008, 07:42 AM
:withstupid::elefant:does box need the latestupdates like eurovox if so wer do u get it

HI I bought open Media box and cable side working fine but staillite ver no scan option has come up what to do. any help for setup

Curious123
29th June, 2008, 04:39 PM
Did you flick the switch at the back over to switch to satellite?

NEMIS1S
29th June, 2008, 08:38 PM
Who makes these?

Curious123
29th June, 2008, 10:30 PM
You could PM fellow member max_gee and he should be able to answer any questions you may have aboput the box.

max_gee
30th June, 2008, 12:15 AM
HI I bought open Media box and cable side working fine but staillite ver no scan option has come up what to do. any help for setup

You need to remove the power, flick the switch to sat and then re apply the power.

Also when in sat mode you need to set up your sat configuration. What image are you using for the sat side?

boocay06
30th June, 2008, 02:43 PM
at the mo ive got a nokia dbox 2 with a commando image on it. if i get a new open media box, can i flas the same image over on it? also which vesion of images should i go for 1xi or the 2xi? previously ive always downloaded the 2xi ones

Thanks

father ted
30th June, 2008, 02:54 PM
at the mo ive got a nokia dbox 2 with a commando image on it. if i get a new open media box, can i flas the same image over on it? also which vesion of images should i go for 1xi or the 2xi? previously ive always downloaded the 2xi ones

Thanks

you have to treat these box`s as 500c/s they come with fta pre installed images for a dremabox 500

boocay06
30th June, 2008, 03:13 PM
Sorry to sound real stupid, im not very familiar with dreambox's ive only ever played with the nokia dbox that i have got (with a lot of help from the guides on the net!!). are images for the dreambox not compatible with the dbox (and vice versa)? so the nokia dbox2 is not a 500c?

max_gee
30th June, 2008, 03:37 PM
no the images are not compatible BUT once the actual image is loaded onto the openmedia box it is very similar to the dbox interms of its look and feel (thats if you go for the neutrino image for the openmeida box)

To load an image onto the openmedia box you use dreamup not bootmanager as opposed to loading an image on a dbox.

however once the image is loaded you can FTP into the image and its very similar to a dbox from there. i.e. you have a keys folder, a bin folder and a scce folder ....... and many more

boocay06
30th June, 2008, 03:41 PM
no the images are not compatible BUT once the actual image is loaded onto the openmedia box it is very similar to the dbox interms of its look and feel (thats if you go for the neutrino image for the openmeida box)

To load an image onto the openmedia box you use dreamup not bootmanager as opposed to loading an image on a dbox.

however once the image is loaded you can FTP into the image and its very similar to a dbox from there. i.e. you have a keys folder, a bin folder and a scce folder ....... and many more
Thanks for the super fast reply,
so once i have a Dreambox image on the openmedia box i can take the files (services cables, and others) that are on my dbox and just copy them over? or are the files specific to the box type?

max_gee
30th June, 2008, 04:36 PM
you can copy across the files in you keys and scce folder.

for your services and boquets you need to copy them to the tmp folder of the openmedia then goto blue button / extras menu / convert dbox services to openmeidia services

this will convert your existing dbox channel line up into your openmedia / dreambox.

Max

boocay06
2nd July, 2008, 09:31 AM
Im gonna order the box later on today cant wait!!

wiz569
2nd July, 2008, 09:06 PM
Just like to say a big thanks to max_gee,box arrived today only ordered it on sunday night and i'm in Ireland.
As for the box its a great bit of kit with a very good tuner and basically does what it say's on the tin,well happy :)

sakiblateef
5th July, 2008, 04:52 PM
Has anyone tried their motorised dish with this box and does it work?

aftermath
5th July, 2008, 05:05 PM
Has anyone tried their motorised dish with this box and does it work?

Yes it works m8. i can confirm that,

<--aftermath added 3 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...-->

I can also take this opportunity to add that max_gee is a top man, and very trustworthy. And gives excellent service.

Big thank you to max_gee m8.

sakiblateef
5th July, 2008, 05:40 PM
Yes it works m8. i can confirm that,

<--aftermath added 3 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...-->

I can also take this opportunity to add that max_gee is a top man, and very trustworthy. And gives excellent service.

Big thank you to max_gee m8.

Thanks for confirming m8. At the moment I have a Technomate receiver and haven't had the chance to look further into Dreamboxes since I last got rid of mine but after a lenghty absence I'm thinking of getting back into linux based boxes and explore the CS side of things. :)

solangi786
6th July, 2008, 09:54 PM

i m from pakistan can i get dm 500cs easily in pakistan or from abroad,
how much price?

sakiblateef
6th July, 2008, 10:13 PM
i m from pakistan can i get dm 500cs easily in pakistan or from abroad,
how much price?

I don't know about this particular receiver but I pretty sure you can get the DM 500 over there. Nearly all stuff in Pakistan comes cheaply over the border from China and the chineese clones of the DM 500 are widely available here.

Curious123
6th July, 2008, 10:54 PM
Just look up DVBSELLER on this site and you will find waht you are looking for m8.

boocay06
10th July, 2008, 12:26 PM
Hi, i have ordered the openmedia box, just wondering does it come with a serial cable? if not i can order one before the box arrives

father ted
10th July, 2008, 12:33 PM
Hi, i have ordered the openmedia box, just wondering does it come with a serial cable? if not i can order one before the box arrives

comes with box,remote batteries and phono cables but no serial cable

Curious123
10th July, 2008, 01:54 PM
Did you mean a null modem cable rather than the serial cable? If you ask the person you are ordering your box from he should be able to help you out.

boocay06
10th July, 2008, 04:49 PM
Did you mean a null modem cable rather than the serial cable? If you ask the person you are ordering your box from he should be able to help you out.
yeah i meant null modem cable, ordered the box from max_gee last night

boocay06
14th July, 2008, 10:03 PM
I got his box today and have already messed it up!! does any one know where i can get the original images for it? i didnt back them up

smirnoff_rules
14th July, 2008, 10:06 PM
wot happen then m8 , do u try the dk image ?

boocay06
14th July, 2008, 10:13 PM
im really new to dreamboxes, im not sure i did the flashing right, when i switch it to sat mode it just comes up with a black screen and in cable mode when i go to the scan services section its askin for satellites info, i was expecting cable (bruteforce for uk).

sorry if im not making any sense

also do i have 2 separate images 1 for sat and 1 for cable?

smirnoff_rules
14th July, 2008, 10:14 PM
is this the dk v1 image u have on it ?

boocay06
14th July, 2008, 10:20 PM
i tried to flash the cable one.... dont know how i manged to mess up the sat one... also the dk image do i just copy into tmp folder and write whole partition?

smirnoff_rules
14th July, 2008, 10:25 PM
i tried to flash the cable one.... dont know how i manged to mess up the sat one... also the dk image do i just copy into tmp folder and write whole partition?
pm sent m8

boocay06
15th July, 2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks man am just running dreamup now, will et you know what happens. isthisthe DK image or the origina opemedia image? also wil this sort out the sat or will i have to get another image or the sat?

<--boocay06 added 69 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...-->

Thanks so much man!!!!, got cable working now

C64
17th July, 2008, 12:26 PM
I want one but I also want a HD box :(

I'm very close to clicking on that 'BUY' button, lol

I'd love to be able to get rid of my old Sagem Dbox2c and DM500s, oh the dilemma!

aftermath
17th July, 2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks man am just running dreamup now, will et you know what happens. isthisthe DK image or the origina opemedia image? also wil this sort out the sat or will i have to get another image or the sat?

<--boocay06 added 69 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...-->

Thanks so much man!!!!, got cable working now

It should come with a sat image on, or there is plenty out there to chose from, i like the DKimage and the Pli image.

boocay06
17th July, 2008, 05:38 PM
THIS IS A WICKED BOX MAN!!, I have been used to the Dbox for a while now and have just recently bought the new openmedia box, took a little while and a lot of learning but have now got cble working perfect!! am just working on the sat side of things now can get the free chanels fine .... any pointers for the rest of the channels?

abynk
21st July, 2008, 06:34 PM
Just ordered one from dvb shop, cant wait till it got delivered!!!!
Is the DK image is with auto updateoption, or du I need to upload my working image from DM500c
thanks

Devilfish
21st July, 2008, 06:54 PM
The image that comes with the box is fully working.

You just need to add /var/keys and /var/scce files to make it auto update.

abynk
22nd July, 2008, 10:43 AM
I have no clue about telnet, can I add files via ftp?
thanks

max_gee
22nd July, 2008, 11:53 AM
yes you can

the user name is root
password is openmedia

abynk
22nd July, 2008, 07:00 PM
yes you can

the user name is root
password is openmedia

Thanks Max, hopefully I get the box by tomorrow from you.I will definitly comeback after a little paly with it

abynk
24th July, 2008, 12:56 PM
Got the box yesterday, Installed DK1 everything perfect on cable side, I am installing a new dish this weekend then I will have a go on sat side as well.

Do I need to turn the powersupply from mains before switching cable/sat?

thanks

Devilfish
24th July, 2008, 01:06 PM
Yes, you need to power down before switching.

abynk
25th July, 2008, 11:11 AM
Just managed to link sat side with a sly minidish on 9E got some channels perfectly(only a minidish).Does anyone got a channel list of 9E so I can upload into my box.
Thanks

vallim
25th July, 2008, 11:38 PM

Hi,
Will this take the same image as the dream box?
Thanks

max_gee
26th July, 2008, 12:14 AM
yes it will :P

Booya16
2nd September, 2008, 02:20 PM
Hi all,

Been looking through this post for a while and am interested in getting this box for my sis who has a cable and sky feed available. Am new to the whole seen and recently got a 500C clone myself and got it all up and running successfully using the tutorials.

The only area I'm a complete novice is on the sat side of things.

She has a standard s*y sat dish at the moment with S*y plus (2 cables/feed downstairs for the S*y plus box and 1 cable/feed upstairs for a normal s*ky box).

What motorised dish would you suggest and is it something I could install/fine tune myself ?

Which tutorials would you suggest I use to get going ?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Booya16

--------------------------

Any advice anyone on questions above ?

Booya16

cbbella
21st September, 2008, 06:27 PM
No More pm's please

I have set up an ebay page for this if any body has any questions plz post here on this forum

Ebay Page :-

OpenMedia Cable / Satellite Receiver like Eurovox, Dbox on eBay, also, Cable Boxes, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 21-Jun-08 01:32:55 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200230851415&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=010)

Comes pre-installed with a FTA Neutrino Image (thanks to Cryo for all his time and hard work )

Enigma image to follow shortly (or even better you can use the DK v1 image thats in the downloads section)

after reading the posts in this thread and finding out that you cannot use dbox2 images i noticed this at the top of the ebay page:

OpenMedia Cable / Satellite Receiver like Eurovox, Dbox
2 box's in 1 / Runs on a Nokia Dbox 2 Image, Read Ad...

just thought you should know in case you want to edit it to avoid confusion

cbbella
21st September, 2008, 09:55 PM
you can copy across the files in you keys and scce folder.

for your services and boquets you need to copy them to the tmp folder of the openmedia then goto blue button / extras menu / convert dbox services to openmeidia services

this will convert your existing dbox channel line up into your openmedia / dreambox.

Max

hi, i'm using the dk_v1.1 image and have transferred my services and boquet files from my dbox into the temp folder but when i press the blue button and then the extras menu i dont see the "convert dbox services to openmedia services" option. has anyone managed to do this

max_gee
21st September, 2008, 11:15 PM
this option is part of the neutrino based image that came preinstalled on the open media receiver.

it is also available to downlad in the openedia section of the forums

cbbella
21st September, 2008, 11:40 PM
do you know if its possible to do and how it can be done with the dk_v1.1 image

father ted
23rd September, 2008, 01:55 PM
hello how do i setup openmedia 500cs and where can i download the image thank you

open media is the box, they come with pre-installed images but you can change them for wot you want

Curious123
23rd September, 2008, 03:24 PM
hello how do i setup openmedia 500cs and where can i download the image thank you

The openmedia box is a Dreambox clone so everything that works for the dreambox on this box. There are so many stickies/guides on the forum , why not read them and then ask the questions.

cfphoenix
1st February, 2009, 11:45 AM
Price dropped to ?90 at dvb shop. Am wondering whether to get this.

pally
21st February, 2009, 02:00 PM
has anyone got a complete backup
of a sat image that is working having probs
setting up sat.can get all fta sat but
some channels do not clear so hoping that
if someone has managed to get it working
I could try and restore the bacup(complete)
please pm if you have image

Curious123
21st February, 2009, 06:20 PM
The latest satankey bundle and the CCcam 2.0.11 cam works for me.

dodge
4th March, 2009, 10:04 PM
How are these 500cs boxes working out for everyone?

I'm thinking of ordering one from dvb-shop but I'm not entirley convinced yet.

I'm a complete noob to cable and sat so would this box be to complicated for a beginer?

MetalKettle
5th March, 2009, 09:22 AM
These boxes are really good m8. I won mine so didnt have to pay for it. :)

If you are serious about moving into the sat scene and also want to have cable then they are a good buy. If you are not really bothered about satellite then just go for a normal 500c.

The Openmedia boxes are no more complicated then the Dreambox 500's as they use the same images, all the same tools, and are essentially the same hardware inside. They just have both sat and cable tuners.

My thinking is that when things do go tits up for cable, i will still have my sat setup to fall back on until some one nice person manages to crack it again :)

dodge
7th March, 2009, 03:00 AM
Well done for winning your box mate. Unfortunatly it looks like I'll have to pay for mine.:laugh:

I'm not really that bothered about sat at the moment but once I get the hang of cable I'll want a new chalange so it'll be good to have sat to play with in the future.

I'm also thinking along the same lines as you that when cable gets locked down I'll have sat to fall back on and not just have a cable box shaped door stop.

From what i can understand these boxes are Linux based. Will my basic Linux skills be any help to me when setting the thing up?

psats
8th March, 2009, 02:18 PM
Well done for winning your box mate. Unfortunatly it looks like I'll have to pay for mine.:laugh:

I'm not really that bothered about sat at the moment but once I get the hang of cable I'll want a new chalange so it'll be good to have sat to play with in the future.

I'm also thinking along the same lines as you that when cable gets locked down I'll have sat to fall back on and not just have a cable box shaped door stop.

From what i can understand these boxes are Linux based. Will my basic Linux skills be any help to me when setting the thing up?

as in here read the how to in dreambox section

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f76/programs-tools-open-media-7991/

.: JaCkPoT :.
9th March, 2009, 01:19 AM
Satellite tv is much more of a challenge and much more fun and more experimental and better..this is a hobby a million times better than cable so even if you dont want sat yet look ahead..sat tv is amazing..

crashtestmac
10th March, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hope these are as good as they read....!!

Just ordered one and cannot wait to get started. Used to do dboxes all the time and some fun and atmega stuff but wanting to look at sat as well and this appears to be a great way to do it.

Thanks

dodge
11th March, 2009, 10:18 PM
I decided to stop thinking about it and just buy one eventualy at 2am Saturday morning from dvb-shop and it arived Tuesday morning. Thats what I call good delivery times.

Spent 7 hours playing with it Tuesday night and couldn't pick up a single channel on sat. Picked up about 400 channels on cable but mostly just black screen.

Tonight all channels suddenly started working but I don't know what I did so I've not really learnt anything.

Quite a steep lerning curve for a compleat bigginer like me but all in all this is an amazing box.

dave555
6th May, 2009, 08:05 PM
What is login details of this box when we connect DCC .

Name?

Password?

Please reply

MetalKettle
7th May, 2009, 07:42 AM
What is login details of this box when we connect DCC .

Name?

Password?

Please reply

Username : root
Password : dreambox

or

Username : root
Password : openmedia

dave555
7th May, 2009, 02:39 PM
Anybody practically tried above any password?

Thanks

fazzieng
13th May, 2009, 03:16 PM
OM500cs looks like perfect solution but honestly bit to good to be truth. Will it handle properly both sat and cable at the same time or is sat completely shut when cable is on..?

MetalKettle
14th May, 2009, 07:54 AM
OM500cs looks like perfect solution but honestly bit to good to be truth. Will it handle properly both sat and cable at the same time or is sat completely shut when cable is on..?

You can only use on or the other at any one time. There is a switch to change betweem the two.

johnser
3rd July, 2009, 04:07 PM
has anyone heard of box inet 300c

badboy123
5th July, 2009, 02:01 PM
Have DVB SHOP stopped supplying the openmedia 500cs box??

dedge_10
12th July, 2009, 12:48 PM
i can not seem to find it on there webpage either
any info if they are still supplying this or any other seller
THX

Edit: Had an email from them DVB-shop this morning:
"hi
item is still available
please contact for price and quantity.
thank you"

So it looks like they are still doing this dont know why not on there page though

portbhoy
12th July, 2009, 01:08 PM
There you go mate 12 months guarantee and free delivery ;) Openmedia 500cs Cable and Satellite Receiver?::?Cable Receivers?::?Skywonder Ltd (http://www.skywonder.co.uk/product.php?productid=1111&cat=1&page=1)

The Soulman
10th August, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hi guys, just a couple of questions, if I were to have both my sat dish and my cable connections plugged into this box, (Watching on the downstairs TV) is there any way that I could transmit / receive the signal on a TV upstairs either by video sender or via hardwired cable ?
(Would prefer the hardwired cable option if possible)

Thanks,
The Soulman.

dedge_10
10th August, 2009, 01:29 PM
Yes m8t have i mine hard wired upstairs not through tv tranmitter though as it interfers with my wirless connection 2.4ghz) but you not be able to have cable down stairs and sat up stars

The Soulman
10th August, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yes m8t have i mine hard wired upstairs not through tv tranmitter though as it interfers with my wirless connection 2.4ghz) but you not be able to have cable down stairs and sat up stars

Thanks for the reply, I dont want cable downstairs / Sat upstairs, I just wanted to know if I could watch whatever was on the set top box at the time (Cable or Sat) in a different upstairs bedroom, so assuming both the cable and Sat outputs on the unit are occupied, how would I hardwire (Coaxial cable) to the upstairs bedroom ?, what outputs, other than the Two scart sockets are there on the box and which would I use ?,
Thanks,
The Soulman.

krazylegz
10th August, 2009, 02:08 PM
the box has one out put mate not two, so when you take if from the RF out to say your tv upstairs, you will see what ever you have on the box downstairs, so if you have satellite one day and cable the next, it will be exactly the same upstairs

The Soulman
10th August, 2009, 10:48 PM
the box has one out put mate not two, so when you take if from the RF out to say your tv upstairs, you will see what ever you have on the box downstairs, so if you have satellite one day and cable the next, it will be exactly the same upstairs

Ok thanks for the info, the only real reason I asked the question was that on the images of the box and the technical specifications that I had / have so far read, there is no sign or mention of a RF out connection,

Regards,
The Soulman.

P.S.
I'd be really grateful if you could post up some pictures of the rear of the unit just so I could familiarise myself with exactly what connections / inputs / outputs there are on the unit.

JKGT
11th August, 2009, 03:47 PM
Have a look on page 2 for pics;)

The Soulman
11th August, 2009, 10:15 PM
Have a look on page 2 for pics;)

I've seen the loop through connections, aren't these usually for connection to a second set top box for use in another room ?.

I was looking for an "RF OUT" for use with a standard (Terrestrial) type coaxial connection,

Regards,
The Soulman.

The Soulman
12th August, 2009, 09:31 PM
I've seen the loop through connections, aren't these usually for connection to a second set top box for use in another room ?.

I was looking for an "RF OUT" for use with a standard (Terrestrial) type coaxial connection,

Regards,
The Soulman.

Anyone clear this up, is there an "RF OUT" connection, or do you simply use the relevant "Loop through" to send the already unscramled signal to another room.

(i.e. no need for another set top box in that room to decode the signal)

Regards,
The Soulman.

psats
12th August, 2009, 10:07 PM
Anyone clear this up, is there an "RF OUT" connection, or do you simply use the relevant "Loop through" to send the already unscramled signal to another room.

(i.e. no need for another set top box in that room to decode the signal)

Regards,
The Soulman.

there no rf.
the loop will only get you the stuff thats inline not the decoded channels.
use rf from video if you have one.

The Soulman
12th August, 2009, 11:15 PM
there no rf.
the loop will only get you the stuff thats inline not the decoded channels.
use rf from video if you have one.

Thank you, so to clarify, when using the loop through I would need another set top box on the end of it to descramble the encrypted channels ?.

So other than using a video sender or another set top box in the upstairs bedroom, I cannot watch encrypted channels in another room ?.

(The crappy Starview I use at the moment allows me to watch all channels upstairs by means of the simple "RF OUT" connection already mentioned)

If this is so, I'm really surprised, as this would seem to me to be such a basic connection not to have,

Regards,
The Soulman.

psats
13th August, 2009, 12:16 AM
Thank you, so to clarify, when using the loop through I would need another set top box on the end of it to descramble the encrypted channels ?.

So other than using a video sender or another set top box in the upstairs bedroom, I cannot watch encrypted channels in another room ?.

(The crappy Starview I use at the moment allows me to watch all channels upstairs by means of the simple "RF OUT" connection already mentioned)

If this is so, I'm really surprised, as this would seem to me to be such a basic connection not to have,

Regards,
The Soulman.

all my none rf stuff is fed via the video dvd and use the rf out from that to send the signal round the house if needed.

the reason no rf on lots stuff is picture qaulity

flyingpig
23rd August, 2009, 12:12 PM
I already have a DM500s, but I am looking at getting this box becuase it can do the sat and cable.

I totally understand the sat side and how that works, but havent got a clue about the cable side.

Does the image for the cable side download the keys for the 'premium' channels, or can they be putin manually? Also where do we get the keys for the cable bit from.

If its easy I am getting one!!

mo.p
23rd August, 2009, 06:38 PM
I already have a DM500s, but I am looking at getting this box becuase it can do the sat and cable.

I totally understand the sat side and how that works, but havent got a clue about the cable side.

Does the image for the cable side download the keys for the 'premium' channels, or can they be putin manually? Also where do we get the keys for the cable bit from.

If its easy I am getting one!!

m8 if u understand the sat side u should not have any preblem

harky
9th March, 2010, 02:10 AM
Hi do this works?

flyingpig
10th March, 2010, 12:13 AM
Where is SG?

psats
10th March, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hi do this work in SG?

this box is same as a dreambox500