PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro keyboard and mouse drivers issue

ghostridersa
12th October, 2013, 05:12 PM
Good day members of DK

I am hoping that some of the laptop boffins can help me on this one.

Let me start of by saying that although I am using my laptops everyday for diagnostics I know almost nothing when it comes to actually how they work and their drivers. ( I have zero idea of even which drivers to look for in the net).

I was using an old HP620 with xp pro and it was running perfect until it died a few weeks back. I bought a cheap Proline smart W258CZ laptop with Celeron 847 2GB ram and 320 gig.

Laptop came with win8 on it and I formatted it and installed win xp pro sp3 on it so that I can run elsawin, star, vcds, opcom, etc from it. However once win xp 32 bit was installed the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. I was only able to use an external plug-in keyboard and mouse and then it would work. That does not work out walking around scanning cars with an external keyboard and mouse so I installed win 7 32 bit and my on board keyboard and mouse was working and I could install everything and get it working except elsawin. Elsawin will install completely but has no icons to click on on the home screen.

I really need elsawin as I work on Vag vehicles everyday.

So a week ago I took the laptop to a so-called computer boffin who said he could get the laptop running win xp no problem and that the onboard keyboard and mouse would work.

The idiot has had the laptop for a week now and has installed win xp but still cant get the keyboard and mouse to work. Everytime I call to find out what is happening as I need it urgently he tells me that he is looking for drivers for the keyboard and mouse. ( I am at the point that I feel like punching his lights out because he gives me the same story over and over).

Guys I don't want to run win7 32 bit with a virtual machine with xp 32 bit on it as it just doesnt work out well with me. So I am calling on the pc aces here to help me with a solution or with how to get the laptop running xp with its onboard keyboard and mouse working.

This is becoming a nightmare as I have another brand new HP Pavilion G6 core i5 running win7 but which refuses to install xp as there are apparently no drivers compatible with the chipset.

Guys I will be most grateful for any help or drivers for keyboard or mouse I can be helped with.

Many thanks in advance

dasteph
12th October, 2013, 08:54 PM
win 7 has a compatibility mode where you can run applications in an older o/s environment this may help you to achieve what you are after, the link will show you how to use the compatibility mode....[Win7/Vista] Windows XP Compatibility Mode in Windows 7 and Vista | Help & Support | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (http://help.unc.edu/help/win7vista-windows-xp-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7-and-vista/)
as for finding the drivers for your laptop having ran a search returned no results for xp.

cunny
12th October, 2013, 09:17 PM
Can you please take a screen shot of device manager within win xp. Obv you will have to do this with a external mouse.

It sounds like either a driver is missing or the keyboard is disabled

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

sattv5
17th October, 2013, 01:39 AM
The Proline smart W258CZ uses a custom version of the Synaptics Driver, the driver is labelled for windows 7 but I checked and the Version 15.3.18 which this is, is backwards compatible with Windows XP (The link downloads direct from Proline)

http://www.proline.co.za/drivers/Laptop/W243CZ/Win7/Touchpad_W7.zip