PDA

View Full Version : Help with LNB Skew

telveskid
14th October, 2013, 07:42 PM
Hi Guys ,Help required again.

Ive just set up a 1 metre Dish on a motor and getting all sats from 1 West to 42 east but the LNB Skew is set to "0" in the holder if i move the LNB CLOCKWISE OR ANTI CLOCKWISE is the signal going to be better.

Regards

ramjet
14th October, 2013, 08:00 PM
it should have zero skew when the motor is on 0.00 , so for most of the uk its typically no skew when on thor

digicon
14th October, 2013, 08:19 PM
As clearly explained above why on a Motorised dish the LNB is set to Zero Skew. Because as the Dish moves left to right across the ARC East & West Skew is applied due to the angle of the dish when it reaches different satellite positions.

telveskid
14th October, 2013, 08:23 PM
So its Right then Ive sent it to Zero therefore as the Dish Moves the Skew lines up with the Approiate Sat

digicon
14th October, 2013, 08:27 PM
So its Right then Ive sent it to Zero therefore as the Dish Moves the Skew lines up with the Approiate Sat

Correct you hit the nail on the head so to speak

.: JaCkPoT :.
17th October, 2013, 12:22 AM
Im going to slightly contradict some of the above replies and say from personal experience that if you play with your skew, you may find an increase in signal. Its only slight but every LNB is different and if you want maximum signal, take a marker pen up with you, mark the current skew and have a little play.

digicon
17th October, 2013, 12:44 AM
General rule of thumb is and any professional will tell you the same that skew on a motorised dish should be set to Zero as the LNB skews to its correct orientation when the dish moves, I have no doubt that if the dish stops and you alter very slightly you may find a slight increase of signal but once moved you lose on other satellite postions as the skew will be out slightly on all of them.

And i cant see a lot of people nipping outside every few minutes altering skew on every single satellite position.

Nutsandbolts
17th October, 2013, 01:03 AM
Im going to slightly contradict some of the above replies and say from personal experience that if you play with your skew, you may find an increase in signal. Its only slight but every LNB is different and if you want maximum signal, take a marker pen up with you, mark the current skew and have a little play.

Hi. Totally agree with you. You need to set the LNB according to your particular setup . It does not have to be zero at all as i have used 0,1,2 and still finds all the satellites. Why do they give you numbers on an LNB if it only need to be set to 0? How on earth can a motor skew an LNB?? You skew it yourself by selecting correct number. The motor is there to move the dish from left to right and takes the LNB with it.
Regards.

ramjet
17th October, 2013, 09:30 AM
rubbish, when a motor moves a dish the dish is tilted left or right as required and so the "skew" is applied to the lnb by the tilt of the dish in order to keep it on zero in relation to the dish but actually skewed in relation to the actual satellite position, but when its on zero no tilt is ever applied so no skew either (the point is that you keep the lnb and dish in alignment at all times but have to take account of the satellite position on the horizon compared to your position, so in 3d so to speak , its all about 3 dimensional awareness and the skew either relates to the satellite on a motorised dish or to the dish and satellite on a fixed dish like sly)

the job of a motor is to move the dish left or right AND to skew the lnb in relation to the satellite due to the physical tilting of the dish
it is not there just to move the dish left or right at all due to the three dimensional characteristics of the job to be done

look at a standard dartboard at the number 20, and your head is not tilted or skewed at all, its plumb and upright , but to read the 14 or 9 or 4 or 13 properly you have to tilt or skew your head left or right which tilts your eyes that way too, to orient your head and eyes to the skewed number , a dish and lnb does the same, they dont skew in relation to each other but do skew in relation to the satellite (look from behind one and see for yourselves)

jackpot is correct when he says a slight adjustment could improve the signals on the one satellite but as digicon pointed out this may affect other satellites and so isnt normally necessary, few people are going to skew an lnb every time they move the dish, I certainly havent in the 12 years I have had my setup !!

lnb,s have skew markings for use when on fixed dishes, like the sly ones do, that is why the markings are there, but we are talking motorised dishes here, not fixed dishes, so CONTEXT is important

so for 99% of people, set the skew at zero when its on zero degrees on a motorised dish and leave it there

digicon
17th October, 2013, 07:51 PM
I am now awaiting the next instalment that maybe perhaps we should alter the elevation of the motorised dish to squeeze a little more out of it:banghead:

17th October, 2013, 08:05 PM
Calm down guys, wasnt here to start a war, Im not that stupid and i wouldnt have written the post if it affected the other satellites in a negative way. I have had 2 LNBs and they had to be set to a different skew (slightly) to achieve the same signal results.

Nutsandbolts
17th October, 2013, 08:59 PM
Hi. Well said Jackpot.. at least you agree with me that LNB need to be set according to your setup ..thats why they give you markings on the LNB. Not all LNB's are the same and not all dishes are the same thats why they give options to amend things to suit your setup. Why on earth should everybody set their LNB to zero if it dont work??? Take my advice and do it your way rather than listen to so called experts .

Take care.

17th October, 2013, 09:16 PM
Im speaking from my personal experience, Im not here to mislead people. When this was a predominantly cable tv forum, and there were very few sat tv heads here, It was the very same experience and knowledge i dug into to give advice. There were few much larger sites for this field back then and the advice couldnt have been that bad as people continued to return for help and many times expressed thanks for the help.

mdt
17th October, 2013, 09:38 PM
everyone is entitled to their opinion/way of doing things and its up to the OP who,s advice he follows... ive always set my lnb to zero on a motorised dish as the dish alters the skew when it turns the dish as it also tilts it aswell as moving it left/right on the horizontal plain. ideally dishes should have a seperat magnetic/mechanical skew poloriser like back in the day to squeeze every drop of signal out of the dish by peaking the H or V probe but generally the system works well. when using a fixed dish the skew needs to be set as its set vertical/horizontal so it has to be set according to the recieving sites lat/long and the sats position on the geostationary arc. regards mdt

digicon
17th October, 2013, 09:44 PM
you put your LNB Skew in, Lift the Motor Tail up in out in out shake it all about you mess with the elevation and you turn it upside down and thats what its all about oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh oakey cokey :joyous:

17th October, 2013, 09:46 PM
everyone is entitled to their opinion/way of doing things and its up to the OP who,s advice he follows... ive always set my lnb to zero on a motorised dish as the dish alters the skew when it turns the dish as it also tilts it aswell as moving it left/right on the horizontal plain. ideally dishes should have a seperat magnetic/mechanical skew poloriser like back in the day to squeeze every drop of signal out of the dish by peaking the H or V probe but generally the system works well. when using a fixed dish the skew needs to be set as its set vertical/horizontal so it has to be set according to the recieving sites lat/long and the sats position on the geostationary arc. regards mdt
:) ^

I wasnt suggesting the LNB be turned upside down, my posts clearly state that if there is a difference, it will be slight! I agree that with 0 skew it will work fine, but my suggestion was there to help increase the signal that little more.

17th October, 2013, 09:49 PM
you put your LNB Skew in, Lift the Motor Tail up in out in out shake it all about you mess with the elevation and you turn it upside down and thats what its all about oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh oakey cokey :joyous:

Haha -_- stop with the post clocking now lol
No hard feelings if you disagree with me, or i disagree with you (although i dont, i was merely suggesting)

digicon
17th October, 2013, 10:03 PM
No hard feelings if you disagree with me, or i disagree with you (although i dont, i was merely suggesting)

No Hard feelings either way just thought a little light hearted banter would diffuse the situation a little, As previously suggested what works for yourself or anyone else then no problem

alec
18th October, 2013, 04:39 PM
A lot of hot air over a LNB. If you use the right size dish and a decent LNB. Set it up on 0.8, and the signal should be good enough for a excellent picture on Sat's for the dish size in Britain, and any messing about will not make any more difference to the picture. After all you should be watching the TV and not an test instrument.

mdt
19th October, 2013, 12:41 PM

PMSL,regards mdt