PDA

View Full Version : Smallworld plans super-fast net for Scotland

Devilfish
1st June, 2008, 05:32 PM
Cable operator Smallworld Media is to deploy DOCSIS 3.0 technology to parts of its cable network in Scotland, allowing it to supply super-fast broadband connections.

The company announced the move today in a joint statement with Motorola, which is providing headend equipment.

The EuroDOCSIS 3.0 transmission standard, an adjusted version of DOCSIS 3.0, employs virtual bonding of channels to give downstream speeds of up to 200Mbps.

Motorola's Cable Modem Termination Systems provide for DOCSIS 3.0 services to be carried alongside the existing EuroDOCSIS 1.x and 2.0 operations.

Smallworld chief executive David Durnford said it would be providing "a true next-generation broadband platform... while protecting existing investments in currently deployed EuroDOCSIS solutions". The firm's network also extends into the the north east of England but it said deployment would begin in Scotland.

Joe Cozzolino, general manager of Motorola EMEA, said providers were increasingly looking to "ultra high-speed broadband" services because of "growing demand for personalised media experiences, driven by internet-based content delivery and Web 2.0 applications".

Virgin Media has trialled the use of DOCSIS 3.0 in Kent to provide 50Mbps internet connections and a linear high definition TV channel. In recent statements the company has a UK-wide rollout will be completed in early 2009.

I've never even heard of this company?

MFCGAVMFC
10th June, 2008, 08:45 AM
neither have i? but if they do that before VM in my area then i think i will investigate ;)

Damn they aint in my area :( they do 2mb 10mb and 20mb on fibre, so they say

http://www.smallworldmedia.com/default.aspx?page=home

thats their site if anyone is interested, i wonder if you can stick a dbox2 and hacked modem onto their line ;)

satsmo
10th June, 2008, 09:52 PM
They were originally OMNE/Wrightcable talk of their BB plans have been going on for quite a while. Less TPs than VM have and as a result less channels on the cable end of things.

satman
16th June, 2008, 05:18 PM
mmm dam smallworld,,,, have been dumping this week from this provider,,,,
strange lot in west coast of scotland down to north west england Devilfish,
use 6952 symbal rate, but need to do manual scan to pick up channels from normal uk cables.xml... there frequancys are a lot lower than normal, and will post you them if you need them, but only need one and usual manual scan and they come in ,, but unlocking the dam channels aint easy either.... will keep you posted how i get on with the dump i took...

Devilfish
16th June, 2008, 05:26 PM
I smell a new challange coming lol.

So are they offering cable tv as well as broadband?

Surely a manual scan on the default frequency will get all the channels.

satman
16th June, 2008, 05:32 PM
I smell a new challange coming lol.

So are they offering cable tv as well as broadband?

Surely a manual scan on the default frequency will get all the channels.

Hehe yes they do tv too,,,, and yes, manual scan brings the channels in,,
infact here are the services here....

And its no gona be hard, it is nagra1 still, and dont think they roll keys often,
there provider id is A101 :)

Devilfish
16th June, 2008, 05:48 PM
hehe nice one. not much of a challenge then lol.

still, another one in the pocket! :)

satsmo
16th June, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hehe yes they do tv too,,,, and yes, manual scan brings the channels in,,
infact here are the services here....

And its no gona be hard, it is nagra1 still, and dont think they roll keys often,
there provider id is A101 :)

They have never rolled and have remained static. Talk of them moving encryption levels as well.

satman
16th June, 2008, 11:40 PM
They have never rolled and have remained static. Talk of them moving encryption levels as well.
Yes so everyone belives, but EVERY box seems to have decrypt issues with the same channels,,,,, setanta golf, living tv,, mtv channels, umm thats all i can remember from top of head, but when you enter no keys you get only the FTA,,, adding these default ones your on about only seems to open some channels now,, compared to when it used to open them all,,, so we will see real soon,, but i will keep you posted as i got my hands on a card :)

satsmo
17th June, 2008, 02:30 PM
Things must have changed a bit. I have sent you all the info I have, its probably the same as you have but it may do for comparison.