PDA

View Full Version : any advice appreciated

moderngirl
10th May, 2009, 05:18 PM
Heres my scenario.

I have a Netgear router ( supplied FOC by Virgin ), when the Pc is connected direct to the Modem, the connection is static and connected all the time, but when i connect the PC to my router along with the XBOX360 the PC tends to hang and disconnect frequently, and if i am downloading the speed drops significantly.
I have unticked the wireless option on the router, because everything connected is hard wired.

could the router be faulty?

connercole
13th May, 2009, 11:32 PM
If your router supports QoS, Turn it on and give the ethernet port the PC is plugged into a higher priority,

Also you may have a faulty cable

MORE QoS Info from Netgear

QoS is an advanced feature that can be used to priority some internet applications and on-line gaming, and to minimize the impact when the bandwidth is busy.

Turn Internet Access QoS On
If Turn On, the QoS function will work to priority the Internet access traffic. For the applications, On-line Gaming, Ethernet LAN Port, or specified MAC address, that already exist in the pull-down list, you can modify the Priority level by clicking the Edit button, or clicking the Delete button to erase the priority rule. Otherwise, you may also define the priority policy for each On-line gaming, Application, LAN port, or the computer's MAC address by clicking the Add Priority Rule button.
To Save Or Cancel Changes
Click Apply to have your changes take effect.
Click Cancel to return to the previous settings.