PDA

View Full Version : Eriksson's reign at Man City ends

Baaheeduk
2nd June, 2008, 11:15 AM
Manchester City have split with manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

BBC Sport revealed in April that Eriksson was no longer wanted by owner Thaksin Shinawatra, despite the Swede guiding City to a Uefa Cup place.

"I have enjoyed my time at Manchester City very much and I would like to thank the fans, players and staff for their amazing support," said Eriksson.

Former England boss Eriksson took over as City manager last summer and still had two years left on his contract.

City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said: "The board of directors and all at Manchester City would like to thank Sven for his efforts and contributions throughout the season.

"We wish him well for the future. Sven remains a friend of the club."

City occupied third spot in the Premiership in November, but former Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin was unhappy with City's results since the turn of the year.

City's form faltered badly after Christmas, although their ninth-place finish was enough to win them a European berth, albeit via the Fair Play League.

Thaksin bankrolled eight summer signings at a cost of more than ?46m shortly after buying the club but his relationship with Eriksson soured in the second half of the season.

City's players are understood to have reacted with a mixture of shock and anger when Eriksson told them he would be leaving in April and he had the support of the majority of fans.

And City defender Micah Richards told the BBC that the players were "100% behind" Eriksson, who is thought to have been lined up as the next manager of the Mexican national team.

Thaksin now has to find a new manager before the new season starts in August and Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has been touted as a possible replacement.

More recent reports claim City have made an official approach to Blackburn in an attempt to bring in Mark Hughes as manager, while ex-Chelsea boss Avram Grant has also been linked.

Some reports have claimed that Ewood Park chiefs have already given their consent for talks with Hughes, who has led Blackburn into Europe twice.

It seems certain that any new manager will have a considerable amount of money to spend in the summer.

Thaksin has hundreds of millions of pounds worth of assets frozen as he awaits trial on corruption charges later this year.

But his former lawyer Noppadom Pattama, who is now Thailand's foreign minister, told BBC Sport that he expected these assets to be unfrozen in the near future.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7430827.stm

Published: 2008/06/02 08:29:06 GMT

? BBC MMVIII

Ebro
2nd June, 2008, 01:28 PM
Such a shame. I'm not a Man City fan, but Sven was doing a good job got them.