PDA

View Full Version : Volvo S40 - Do you need the remote to get car to start ?

gtmech
12th November, 2013, 11:35 AM
Got a 1999 Volvo S40, car came to me from a service station, they serviced the car, fitted a new battery and the car never went again. The customer has never had a remote for this car and although the transponder keys work fine the car still refuses to start and appears to be immobilised. Customer has only owned the car for 1 month and never had any problems, im guessing the service station disconnected the old battery and that has activated the alarm system on the car and now I need a remote to turn it off to get the car to start again? While this makes sense it also doesnt, why would I need a remote to turn the alarm off when Im guessing the transponder is the only part of the immobiliser system, surely the alarm system doesnt stop the car from starting aswell does it? Alarm LED flashes all the time when Ign is ON, anyone come across this problem and can confirm I need a working remote or does the remote do nothing except lock/unlock the car ? The car seems to be fine, cant find a thing wrong with it apart from its immobilised. Customer has 3 keys, none of them will even crank the engine over, anyone shed some light on this one? thanks

P.S. If I do need a remote its Volvo Dealer only right cos we can program them without access to there server?

adam12112
12th November, 2013, 06:27 PM
You do not need remote to start engine. Read fault codes.

keygargoil
15th November, 2013, 03:07 AM
i had this aswell on a s40 1998 car would not start no matter what immo with 93c56 i still have 1 of the keys sat here on my printer to remind me of the one that got away

gtmech
15th November, 2013, 03:17 AM
i had this aswell on a s40 1998 car would not start no matter what immo with 93c56 i still have 1 of the keys sat here on my printer to remind me of the one that got away

the problem was the antenna around the ignition, had 3 and they were all faulty, bought a 4th one and she started up staright away. When an antenna tests ok dont rely on it being alright, a lesson learnt the hard way yet again

keygargoil
15th November, 2013, 04:20 AM
mine was a lost key alarm was screeming and couldnt activate a new key i tried tm pro zed bull and tango nothing worked the dump changed everytime though i think it was the alarm myself

gtmech
15th November, 2013, 04:24 AM
mine was a lost key alarm was screeming and couldnt activate a new key i tried tm pro zed bull and tango nothing worked the dump changed everytime though i think it was the alarm myself

Cut the (Blue / Orange Stripe) wire at the immo box, this is the only wire that connects the alarm to the immo and then it shoud work fine, its pin number 7 on the immo box