PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting one for the Kids lol

kintekke
3rd June, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Peeps
I am thinking about getting one of these units for the kids xmas pressie (Seems as it's about the only one barring a PS3 that they haven't got lol.

Now i know this will be posted somewhere but was hoping one of you peeps can either give me the links/PM me with the details.

Is there any i should avoid (Model nos etc) .....Wot proggies and equiptment will i need to 'ahem' mod the unit ....i am thinking bout the one with the hard drive...

Cheers fellas...

six2
3rd June, 2008, 08:27 PM
the newer 360,s are not getting the ROD as much as the older ones, as for modding/chipping im not too sure as mine is clean . i will point out if you want to take it online , dont do it with a copy as m$ are blocking all modded 360s , well thats what iv heard. i will point out m$ are still doing a 2 year warranty (or could be 3 carnt remember) with all 360s, this is because of the ROD. plus if you take it online its still ?35 a year , robbing gits lol. i know its not much info but i hope it helps

thommo
3rd June, 2008, 08:43 PM
wrong on the modded online bit and wrong on the 35 quid a year online cost too.

360,s with the correct firmware have not been banned from live and mines still ok after ages.

also they only ban you from playing online and not from playing backups so if your not going on live it dont matter either way. (but you'll be unlucky to get a ban)

xbox subs 35 quid, it was 39.99 i believe but if you buy off ebay you can get them for around 25 quid, think my recent ones for the year cost 25 quid, and its worth it as i have a ps3 and its free online but w@nk to be honest.

25 for a years live and free games you cant go wrong, even if say they found a way to ban us all, its still cheaper to go out and but a core system and mod it and go back online than it is to pay for the games.

(note i only "back up" games ive paid for lol disclaimer)

:cobblers:

C64
3rd June, 2008, 10:20 PM
dont do it with a copy as m$ are blocking all modded 360s , well thats what iv heard.

Not exactly true mate, many of us are using modded consoles with pirate games and we're all still on Xbox Live, this is a grey area to say the least.

Being banned form Xbox-Live also does not mean that your machine is useless, it just means that you cannot play online. All your pirate games will still work perfectly well.

Currently, IMO the PS3 is a waste of money which offers nothing over the 360, add free games to that and IMO nothing can compete with the Xbox360.

smirnoff_rules
3rd June, 2008, 10:30 PM
dont u just love the xbox lol .. free games and online without a problem for years .. is the luck of the draw if u get banned but if u weigh up how much u save on games ld just get another off ebay if l got banned .. l have well over 50 games and it might be more .. all for the price of one game from the shops

Lyrrad
22nd October, 2008, 09:37 PM
wrong on the modded online bit and wrong on the 35 quid a year online cost too.

360,s with the correct firmware have not been banned from live and mines still ok after ages.

:cobblers:

Hi I am thinking of buying a new xbox 360 premium. Will I be able to apply the correct firmware to anyone I may buy or in fact are some new ones not even moddable?

I have found this, but I am sure there would be more uptodate info. I can't find it here though
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9920.cfm

EDIT

I just found this

http://www.msghelp.net/printthread.php?tid=81785

Dual Firmware Chips are what you want (gives the ability to turn the mod OFF). I myself got the "SST Firmware Chip". I put a switch inside the USB compartment to turn the mod on or off.

New Dual Firmware mods have the Power Button being pressed = Mod Off and Eject Button Being pressed = Mod On

The firmware you'd want is the iXtreme 1.4b (unless they updated it)

That way you can play online with a "higher" chance of not being detected (games being properly patched at their Security Sectors)

NOTE: iXtreme Security Sector patches ARE different from normal ones. You need to properly patch it or the mod WILL be detected.

Is dual firmware the way to go?