PDA

View Full Version : Download priveledges

Bulld0g
19th May, 2009, 09:20 PM
We presently have just on 51,000 members.The forum is massive and popular. I know this has been mentioned before about the amount of posts before you can download. This is by far the friendliest most relaxed forum of any kind i have encountered in about 15 years of using the internet.

The vast majority are fine, yet there is always the odd one that pisses you off.
I got a friendly reminder off Dreamer yesterday ;) about my comments towards a new member or two. She quite rightly pointed out it was not a good impression i was giving out to noobs looking at my comments.
Surprise surprise the said users got their downloads and disappeared, probably never to be seen again. Well not until a keyroll or new image is needed.

Again tonight we have another noob posting anywhere and everywhere desperate to get his postcount up so he can download. He was like dogshite, everywhere i went he was there :)

I know people are new and they are desperate to get their downloads and dont really think. but is this an excuse ? I don't think it is an excuse. Maybe they should be made to make an intro post AND one QUALITY post. Not just dfghjkjhggh as we have had before or people posting in different irrelevant sections just to boost their postcount.

What about extending the download rights DF to an intro and one other quality or at least coherrent post.

Bulld0g
19th May, 2009, 09:35 PM
BTW i know it's privileges :) Too much stella, it's pickling my brain lol

Devilfish
19th May, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hey Bulld0g,

I know exactly how you feel, believe me. :)

But I managed to get past that feeling a long time ago.

This is by far the friendliest most relaxed forum of any kind i have encountered in about 15 years of using the internet.

A comment like this makes it all worthwhile and I'm sure there are others who will agree with me, thanks. :)

Regarding the download post limit, this has been discussed many times. At present, you only need 1 post and you can download. The forum updates the permissions every 10 minutes so that's the most any new member has to wait before they can download after making that 1st post. Every new member gets a welcome PM (automated) and it details this process amongst other features of the forum. So new members need not ask why they cannot download, it's explained in their welcome PM and welcome email. That's why posts asking why they cannot download usually get deleted without reason. We used to have a 5 post limit for downloads but we were getting loads of spam posts and giving the mods a tough time tidying them all up. By reducing it to 1 post, members can make an introduction post and that's it, I've even given them a link to the Introduce Yourself forum in the welcome PM. I don't think that we see a lot of spam posts on the forum these days and I think this is a good thing. It doesn't look good if threads are created just for spam. So this is why we only have a 1 post limit. Hopefully after they have got their download and had a look around the forum, they'll realise that we are not just a download centre and would like to stay and participate in the many discussions going on. If they don't...well...that's part and parcel of forum life. I'm sure all long standing members of any forum will say the same.

Thanks for bringing it up though m8, gave me an opportunity to clear things up as I'm sure others were wondering the same.

Cheers
-DF

Bulld0g
19th May, 2009, 10:25 PM
Your the boss Glen :) Mostly i try an give the benefit of the doubt too noobs. Sometimes as you know it's a little more difficult. I appreciate what your saying about the mods keeping the place free from spam etc.
I suppose we have to look at the bigger picture m8 and appreciate the quality as well as quantity of posts we get here on DK.

No doubt the topic will raise it's head again in the future, but thanks for letting us know your views on the subject m8.

aftermath
20th May, 2009, 09:03 AM
Just to add, if anyone on the forum sees this spamming, and we all know what its for, just report it by clicking on the report post icon, its the little red triangle with an explanation mark in it beneath your avatar .
i know the mods on here do a great job but sometimes we have to be away from here and miss these spam posts, .
I think i know the one Bulldog is on about, well just an example of how hard it is,.. I was on here most of yesterday and got caught unexpectedly on MSN where normally i am offline or invisible...
i was only away for about 10 mins, when i got back i noticed that DF had deleted quite a few posts from that spammer.. so it goes to show that if we were missing for a few hours, the spamming could get out of hand.

gmb45
20th May, 2009, 09:22 AM
Your the boss Glen :) Mostly i try an give the benefit of the doubt too noobs. Sometimes as you know it's a little more difficult. I appreciate what your saying about the mods keeping the place free from spam etc.
I suppose we have to look at the bigger picture m8 and appreciate the quality as well as quantity of posts we get here on DK.

No doubt the topic will raise it's head again in the future, but thanks for letting us know your views on the subject m8. to be honest i made a hash of things when i joined ide never been on a forum before, so a bit of "benefit of doubt" is called for i think, but if they keep hassling members posting shite, etc, then a ban is called for, ive tried a few other sites since i joined dk and nothing compares, so if noobs get themselves banned its their loss not ours, ive never laughed so much since i joined dk and made some brill mates some i might meet in the not to distant future. i for 1 will still be here if the dreaded nag 3 rolls out.

Dreamer
20th May, 2009, 12:03 PM
Some of the people who are completely new to forums just don't know any better. They don't realise how much time and effort you guys put in.

Some of them didn’t bother reading their welcome messages cause they are in a hurry to get their boxes working.

After they get their download what do they do??? Ok some disappear but others stay get help and then help others in return, or become part of our friendly community.

THEN you get the ones who are just ignorant making a post or multiple posts which are totaly meaningless, in order to download.
:rulez:
The mods and admin delete these, or if the member is persistant they will be banned.

We do however rely on you guys spotting some of these as there are not always mods/admins on or watching every post and it is a very busy forum

So thanks guys for reporting any crap posts.:cheers:

.: JaCkPoT :.
20th May, 2009, 10:19 PM
i remember when `terriers` first joined but he never introduced himself and straight away he posted for help straight of the boat and to this day he is still here helping out wherever he can......
not everyone who is new to forums uses the use and abuse tactic...
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f75/available-patches-tm-27105/

ACiDFiRE
21st May, 2009, 12:08 AM
i totally agree with you.

knightrider_47
21st May, 2009, 01:26 AM
thank you for explaning about the forum and downloads ,i.m new here but i have noticed that i am going to like been a member on digital-kaos like to thank all the members for any future help i receive and provide

Devilfish
21st May, 2009, 06:22 PM
Looks like a good opportunity to close this thread now as some people think it's good for getting their one post!

Closed!