PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Burns facing fresh cancer battle

Devilfish
11th March, 2008, 08:13 AM
Celtic first-team coach Tommy Burns is facing a fresh battle against skin cancer, the club has confirmed.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44482000/jpg/_44482792_tommyrburns_snsb203.jpg

The 51-year-old was diagnosed as suffering from a melanoma in March 2006 and had responded well to treatment.

But a spokesperson for Celtic said: "Celtic today confirm that first-team coach Tommy Burns is to receive continued cancer treatment.

"Tommy intends to continue as first-team coach and head of the youth academy during this treatment."

The spokesperson added: "Clearly, Celtic requests that the privacy of Tommy and his family is respected at this time."

Burns began playing for Celtic in 1974 and also won eight Scotland caps in a distinguished career which ended as player/manager of Kilmarnock.

He went on to mange Celtic, the club he supported as a boy, and steered the club to a Scottish Cup win over Airdrie in 1995.

Speaking after being first diagnosed with cancer two years ago, Burns told BBC Sport: "This happens to a lot of people, so it's just a question of taking each day as it comes.

"Through this, I've not been alone. I have my faith, which is fantastic, and I've had lots of messages of goodwill."

allycoops
11th March, 2008, 09:21 AM
Good luck to the Guy, hope he's ok

Baaheeduk
11th March, 2008, 09:36 AM
Best of luck Tommy. I hope he responds well to the treatment again?

biffo1
11th March, 2008, 10:03 AM
Wish him the best of luck and hope all plans well for the future

JTH
14th March, 2008, 11:47 AM
best of luck tommy,old firm united wishing him the best