PDA

View Full Version : raspberry pi open elec

slowjoe
5th December, 2013, 12:38 PM
hi can any 1 give me a hand installing openelec to a usb so that my pi will boot xbmc from usb. i managed to get it to boot from sd but it keeps crashing maybe iv done something wrong but i was going to try the usb option many thanks

Krus Aragon
24th September, 2016, 10:20 AM
hi can any 1 give me a hand installing openelec to a usb so that my pi will boot xbmc from usb. i managed to get it to boot from sd but it keeps crashing maybe iv done something wrong but i was going to try the usb option many thanks

To the best of my knowledge, the RasPi can only boot from the SD card (unless there are some big changes with version 3). You can use a small boot partition (with kernel, etc) on the SD card, and put your root partition (everything else) on a USB drive, but you'll still need a working SD card.

My suggestion would be to persevere with getting openelec working on the SD card first, to avoid complicating matters. If you want to follow the USB option, have a look at this instructable page: http://www.instructables.com/id/Boot-the-Raspberry-Pi-from-USB/?ALLSTEPS. It's not OpenElec-specific, but much of it is relevant.