PDA

View Full Version : Tiscali TV on verge of 50% UK coverage

Devilfish
11th March, 2008, 08:18 AM
Tiscali TV will be available to 50% of UK homes by the summer.

It has been equipping phone exchanges around the UK for the TV-over-DSL service since last spring and now claims almost the same level of coverage as Virgin Media, which no longer spends capital on expanding its footprint. Tiscali's coverage is spread across the UK though currently remains strongest in London and the Midlands.

Executives said the company's rapid expansion plan was on track. It is adding about 250 subscribers a day and aims to have 200,000 by the end of the year. It stepped up press advertising in January and in recent days has begun a television campaign for Tiscali TV. It has also now launched a new PVR, Tiscali+, which stores 50 hours of video and integrates one DSL "tuner" with two digital terrestrial tuners. It is available to all TV customers for a one-off fee of ?50 or ?5 per month.

Steve Horley, managing director of products and marketing, also announced the company was looking at how to best extend its TV coverage towards 100%. It is considering installing its own DSL equipment in more exchanges around the country at a cost of tens of millions of pounds, or using a digital terrestrial hybrid system similar to that used by BT Vision. Horley admitted, however, that the latter option would mean compromising on its commitment to a close integration of linear television and video on demand.

Jonathan Sykes, managing director of content strategy, said he believed making content accessible by integrating on demand and linear viewing options in Tiscali's programme guide was crucial. He said: "We really believe linear and VOD together is the future."

The company said its coverage and competitive prices would see it competing strongly with Virgin and Sky.

Tiscali's other plans for the future include more browser-based elements on its EPG and rolling out ADSL2.

Kalipo
15th March, 2008, 01:55 PM
its ok having cheap subs and supposadly "up to 8mb" but their service is apauling..

was a customer with them for 2 days a few year back... soon as i joined i contacted bt and told them to reclaim the line as their service wasnt acceptable.. the phone didnt work.. the net kept droppin out..

Now i dont bother with "up to" speeds im on actual with vm :) i get what i pay for :)

janobi
17th March, 2008, 12:36 PM
Tiscali have recently acquired Pipex as well. I would keep away from these as an ISP, as they are notorious for over utilising the fat pipe. Eg too many people on one cable. Resulting in poor speeds.

captain chaos
9th April, 2008, 10:01 AM
Cant stand tiscali, wouldnt use em if they were free!

spen737
12th April, 2008, 08:09 PM
Tiscali have always been rubbish and you will never beat VM for cable internet speed