PDA

View Full Version : encryption

zxrr
26th May, 2009, 12:48 PM
I`m about to setup my router (Jensen AirLink 2954). The big Q is...what encryption do I need...WEP, WPA or WPA-PSK? I don`t really get the differense, other than encryption strength.... I only want to secure my network from surrounding neighbours, so I think a regular encryption should do

ManofScience
26th May, 2009, 01:09 PM
WEP is the basic, easily crackable, then WPA, WPA2, etc.

to be honest, 99% of people can't crack WEP.

fearghost
29th May, 2009, 08:51 PM
Most wireless routers allow you to restrict access to it from specific mac addresses only. Find you own mac address by 'ipconfig /all' from a command prompt. Check the wireless adapter mac. It should be in the format nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn. Enter this mac (and any others you may have eg xbox, ps3 etc) in the restricted list.

mrtell
29th May, 2009, 09:37 PM
Most wireless routers allow you to restrict access to it from specific mac addresses only. Find you own mac address by 'ipconfig /all' from a command prompt. Check the wireless adapter mac. It should be in the format nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn. Enter this mac (and any others you may have eg xbox, ps3 etc) in the restricted list.

Wrong, a popular hacking tool "aircrack ng" allows the hacker to find and then clone the users mac allowing connection to victims connection.
MAC restriction is useless to someone who knows what they are doing.

mrtell
29th May, 2009, 09:48 PM
WEP is the basic, easily crackable, then WPA, WPA2, etc.

to be honest, 99% of people can't crack WEP.

wireless hacking very easy with the tools out there, lots of people doing it, SECURE YOUR CONNECTION.

If somebody wants to do something illegal on line then the obvious thing is to use someone else's connection. everything tracable to that IP.

mrtell
29th May, 2009, 09:50 PM
Most important, dont use a WEP key, use a WPA key.
I can break a wep key in about 4 mins and i am no expert, also when using a WPA key use a combination of letters, numbers and symbols that don't make sense, if you use a dictionary word the key can still be cracked by using a brute force dictionary attack.